Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

The Ten Phases of Singlespeeding

A bud of mine and I were discussing SS'ing and we came up with this list - I'm somewhere between 8 and 9...

1. Build your first singlespeed -- inspired by others riding SS, you either convert an old bike or buy an entry level SS to get the flavor.. Ride it, ***** about how hard it is getting up the hills, think about where to ride next. Lather, rinse and repeat...

2. Upgrade madness -- the weight weenie / blinglespeed side takes over and you suddenly develop a need to upgrade. A combination of an empty bank account, an upset significant other or a weight weenie part failure ensues. You have parts shipped to work, so the wife won't see the bike parts you ordered. You start looking for ideas (like the MTBR SS forum) to further your obsession of the perfect SS.

3. Gear ratios - your brain becomes obsessed with determining the optimum gear ratio for the upcoming race or given terrain. You temporarily lose focus on just riding and being one with your bike. Your library of forks, chain rings and cogs/cassettes starts to rival the selection at Supergo or Webcyclery.

4. Realization - the entry level SS no longer is good enough. You convince yourself you need a better bike -- custom, SS specific, whatever..

5. Purism - you realize that you're almost exclusively riding your SS. Your other bikes are collecting dust. Under your breath, you sometimes mock others riding gears and work your butt off to one-up them. You use your SS as a tool to brag or as an excuse / handicap (I geared too stiff for the course...) Start hating RockShox and Shimano just on principle, and start thinking rigid forks and DH tires are the better setup.

6. Laziness - you go out and upgrade to a "proper" SS. Now that you it, the upgrade and gear ratio obsessions are fulfilled. You get lazy, and start trashing your bike without taking care of it. You forget about checking tire pressures, chain tension, broken teeth and don't even consider about the consequences. A wonderful delusion, until the bike leaves you stranded 5 miles from your car, and your cell phone has no signal deep in the woods...

7. Heresy - ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

8. Fight club - start putting beer in your water bottles, grow some unusual facial hair (for the men), dress like a freak, and acquire the attitude that you don't give a **** about racing or beating the gearies. Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.

9 (optional) Scorching - as if SS'ing isn't fringe enough, start thinking http://www.63xc.com is an interesting alternative. Give it a go, maybe even get hooked.

10. Approach martyrdom - actually leave the clique by riding so much that few buddies can keep up with you. You become one with your bike. You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness and let your results speak for themselves.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    great work

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by paqrat
    A bud of mine and I were discussing SS'ing and we came up with this list - I'm somewhere between 8 and 9...
    Its all so true

Give #9 a go, silly amounts of fun and you'll build your next bike up with no rear brake bosses

SSP

(#9-ish.....and a long way off #10)
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004

so true!

Good stuff!

I'm actually taking a buddy of mine for his first SS ride. He is gonna be using one of my SS's and I'm sure a Bianchi HT that he has laying around will be his next bike of choice. A SS no less!

I also hope to ride his ass to the ground for the first time ever and watch him puke, curse and hurt like he usually makes me feel.

oh yes!

indigosky

Very funny!

My slightly modified version:

1. Build your first singlespeed -- inspired by others riding SS, you either convert an old bike or buy an entry level SS to get the flavor.. Ride it, ***** about how hard it is getting up the hills, think about where to ride next. Lather, rinse and repeat...

2. Upgrade madness -- the weight weenie / blinglespeed side takes over and you suddenly develop a need to upgrade. A combination of an empty bank account, an upset significant other or a weight weenie part failure ensues. You have parts shipped to work, so the wife won't see the bike parts you ordered. You start looking for ideas (like the MTBR SS forum) to further your obsession of the perfect SS.

This happened VERY early on.... 7. Heresy - ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

3. Gear ratios - your brain becomes obsessed with determining the optimum gear ratio for the upcoming race or given terrain. You temporarily lose focus on just riding and being one with your bike. Your library of forks, chain rings and cogs/cassettes starts to rival the selection at Supergo or Webcyclery.

4. Realization - the entry level SS no longer is good enough. You convince yourself you need a better bike -- custom, SS specific, whatever..

5. Purism - you realize that you're almost exclusively riding your SS. Your other bikes are collecting dust. Under your breath, you sometimes mock others riding gears and work your butt off to one-up them. You use your SS as a tool to brag or as an excuse / handicap (I geared too stiff for the course...) Start hating RockShox and Shimano just on principle, and start thinking rigid forks and DH tires are the better setup.

6. Laziness - you go out and upgrade to a "proper" SS. Now that you it, the upgrade and gear ratio obsessions are fulfilled. You get lazy, and start trashing your bike without taking care of it. You forget about checking tire pressures, chain tension, broken teeth and don't even consider about the consequences. A wonderful delusion, until the bike leaves you stranded 5 miles from your car, and your cell phone has no signal deep in the woods...

I'm currently sitting right about here...

8. Fight club - start putting beer in your water bottles, grow some unusual facial hair (for the men), dress like a freak, and acquire the attitude that you don't give a **** about racing or beating the gearies. Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.

9 (optional) Scorching - as if SS'ing isn't fringe enough, start thinking http://www.63xc.com is an interesting alternative. Give it a go, maybe even get hooked.

10. Approach martyrdom - actually leave the clique by riding so much that few buddies can keep up with you. You become one with your bike. You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness and let your results speak for themselves.[/QUOTE]

F@CK da dumb

so true

I'm in a perpetual state of #2

Expert Pushing SSer

Oh man....

seems like I am in the #4-5 range, with a taste of #8. Oh, can relate to all points. Thanks for making me laugh so hard I was crying. Parts and bikes get shipped to work all the time (I don't work in a shop). Nice job Paqrat.

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2ish

Thats great. I think I was one of those few who skipped 0-2 and started somewhere around 2.5. Thought that a SS was cool rode my bro's aboout 3 times and then built my own upgraded one. I am dreading the gear ratio bit though. Is it possible to just miss phases all toghether? Skip 3, and move onto 4-6, since I am thinking about converting my gearie?

Props to writing that man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

the Zen of SS

"blinglespeed" - what a perfect word! I wish I had thought of it.

hispanic mechanic

Hmmm... skipped 2 and 3...

Pretty well entrenched in 9, don't think I'll ever be fast enough for 10!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004

That's great

Between 3 and 4 I started to make jumps in the fitness aspect of it. I started to be able to stand as much as I wanted to, my knees didn't feel like they were going to explode when low rpm grinding and I was beginning to have enough confidence to ride my SS on any trail. I'm starting to think that a 34:16 isn't all that crazy anymore....

Fight the Kakistocracy!

But it goes to eleven

You forgot about going fixed, Rudi has them all down. I think he rides until he gets inspired about whatever painting he is working on.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

Probably drunk right now

Nice solid 6 with shades of 7

7. Heresy - ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

8. Fight club - start putting beer in your water bottles, grow some unusual facial hair (for the men), dress like a freak, and acquire the attitude that you don't give a pssy about racing or beating the gearies. Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.

10. Approach martyrdom - actually leave the clique by riding so much that few buddies can keep up with you. You become one with your bike. You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness and let your results speak for themselves.
    I'm solidly entrenched at 6 based on my thursday morning post ride conversation with Diamond Dave, my racing partner for this weekend's Rapture in Misery...

Dave: I'm planning on cleaning my bike for the race, how about you.

Ken: I need to get to the LBS and pick up a tube. I have a slow leak in my rear tire that I need to change out before the race.

Dave: So that's your race prep for your bike, huh?

Ken: Pretty much. I may knock some of the mud off it and lube the drive train.

Dave: When I said clean my bike, I meant that I would lube the drive train, but I'll see how motivated I am.

Dave and I are both sitting solidly at 6. There is a variation of Step 7 that I fall in to:

7. <b> Old and weak SSer </b> - You're getting old, your back kills you before, during and after every ride. Your legs and lungs tend to fail you when you ride on trails with elevations above 1000 feet. You grudglingly admit that you're not man enough to ride a SS in Colorado or Utah for more than a day without blowing up. You purchase a FS geared bike that's pretty blinged up for epic rides and epic trips that you're to big a pssy to handle on your SS. 95% of the time, the FS geared bike is a $3,500 boat anchor sitting neglected in your garage. You can't sell it because you need the crutch when you ride out of state trails, but for most of the riding that you do, your preference is the SS.

This definition of #7 puts me at a <b>solid </b> 6.5.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken in KC; 09-24-2004 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Can't say pssy

pedalphile

Classic post.

That should be part of the SS FAQ.

I, for one, sit squarely on Phase 4. I ride a SS conversion with an old rusty (though awesome) frame. Blingy parts are creeping their way in. (Did I *really* need that carbon Salsa booster?)
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

Manual4ever

cool list

not sure where I stand on this list...
    I have one bike...was a regular 21speed XC mtb, over a couple months I turned it into what i call a 26inch bmx. The reason i SS'd it was for reliability and strength.
    36x16 sometimes 38x16... i did run it at 42x16 but needed too much run-up for some jumps.
    I will never ride a geared bike again.

pedalphile

Actually, there's one more...

Beyond fixed-gear mountainbiking: Mountain unicycling.

http://www.unicycling.com/muni/

And I guess one step beyond *that* would be Mountain Pogo Sticking. (I haven't looked for a link for that one)
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

ali'i hua
    a solid 6 here with hints of all of them.

what's wrong with having beer in the waterbottles?

nice work paqrat!

34N 118W

Good job! # 8 with a bullet...

Riding a pink colored bike frame or wearing orange socks with your Birkenstocks to a bar after the ride doesn't even click to you as being strange.
    should it? Great, now I have a complex

Nice work putting that together! good stuff

HW

Dain Bramaged

Also a 6+

I'm not ready to sell off the geared bike in favor of SS only, but I'm leaning dangerously close. Plus I'm with Keni in KC on the "too old" thing. Got my arse handed to me out at the ND-NAG by riding the SS the first two rides. Craaazy harsh - had to use the FS crutch the rest of the weekend.

I stripped a lot of parts off my swank custom-built geared HT to build a new Surly frame. That got stolen so I used the insurance $$ for a sweeet Spot. Now I'm slowly putting parts back on the gearie so I can ride it a few months and sell it to pay for a high-zoot 24" wheeled Specialized FS bike for my 7 year old.

At this point he and I are neck-in-neck at 2:1 SS versus geared

Me: Spot SS
    Peugoet fixie
    RM Slayer gearie

Him: Haro mini vert bike SS
    GT mini BMX racer SS
    Trek 220 gearie

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    should it? Great, now I have a complex
    Just to help you out a bit more:

"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    I think I have experienced periods of 7 and 9, but the others have eluded me (or I haven't looked for them). Is this progression used to grade singlespeediness? If so, I must not be as singlespeedy as others, despite my three fixie- and one freewheel-SS. I find that I still enjoy riding my other bikes (geared, FS, urban, road) just as much as when I first got them. They all offer something different. Maybe it's similar to eating at sushi bar after riding and ordering only a daikon roll (or something analogous to one's perspective on purism). Sometimes I crave smoked eel, conch, and octopus (and sometimes I even like to mix it up a bit). Regardless, it is very entertaining in the final analysis.

dd..''

Cracker-magnon
    Went from 5 to 7, cause I'm a po grad student with a kid.
    Some day 6 will come
    and 6 may be 9
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

hidden persuasions

more on #9

you become so enthralled/obsessed with the fact that fixed-gear offroad is the most fun you have ever had since you first learned to skid when you were a child that it becomes your only SS mountain bike. then, you start realizing flaws in current products and wishing for easier ways to do things even to the simplest form of biking. then, you quit your job and start a company totally based around the narrowest bicycling group known; fixed-gear mountain biking.

why? because you love it that much. peace.
    The one major flaw in a democracy is that the majority could be wrong.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Stock between 6 and 7.

Jabberwocky Jockey

I love it!

I am at about 6.8754
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    definitly 10 mtb ,cx,rode bikes all fixed selling my super light race SS dont ride it any more havent had a geared mtb in 2years.cant find anyone to go ride with my.evryone on the trail thinks your strange,its lonely at ten but rewarding .

ol'guy who says hi &waves

A babe in the woods

.....only been at this for 5 months and score a #5. Am I normal?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

gentle like
    Me too, Fred. 1 to a 5 ... skipping all the stages that involve money, because I can't afford those steps ...

could do better
    I'm staying at 1 cos 1 is enough

;-)

Nice bit of writing

mtbr member
    Definitely at number 8 and holding for six or seven years now. Wouldn't know how to shift if I had to. Still uneasy about fixed in the dirt though. I'll just stay here at 8.

mtbr member
    Well done!!! Thanks for the laugh and the kick in the butt!

Number one went by quick!

I presently have no significant other, but I am here looking for ideas.

I have been playing around with gear ratios since early on, Sticking to playing with the rear cog. I have been pretty happy with 2:1 thus far. Now I'm wondering about replacing my 32 in front with a 34! My Skareb Super w/SPV will be the mainstay in front for a while.

I do want to get rid of the Convert. A couple friends who own a bike shop (Addictive Cycles in Braselton, GA) are coming out with a SS specific frame. I can't wait!!!

I don't ever imagine myself as exclusively SS. However, a year ago I never imagined liking it!

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    i cant relate to any of those ! maybe 4....
    living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun -bill woods

Medium?

Solid 8

and I rode a fixed-gear with knobbies and flat pedals that I built myself around most of last weekend, which seems like the fringes of 9 to me.

Somehow though, I think there's a 12-step progression of mountain biking in general of which one or more of the steps is the 10 stages of SSing.

As I progress from 8 to 9, I've been taking out my new Titus dually a bit more than the rules seem to allow.

Medium?

double post - ignore me

-doh-

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Presently at #3 and thought i would <b>done</b> after i find the perfect all around ratio.

Riding a converted gearie right now, really don't feel the need to buy a SS specific frame <i>yet</i> but i have only been at this for a couple of months.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Spinal Tap moment...

When this was printed in The Outcast magazine (www.yesweareontheweb.com) there was an additional stage...

Step 11: Disapear up own ass

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -

mtbr member
    hmm fiver

mtbr member
    um I skipped 4 but I'm pretty much there. Just built up my second fixed gear bike yesterday, raced a "proper" race the other day on my SS XC bike, I now have 7 bikes and no gears (and only one suspension fork).

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nicely put; it's even a little scary how on it is.

i'm currently a solid 6 (always jumping back to 3 though), but my 70's punk rock roots constantly dip me into 8; maybe it's a 40 something, too much saddle time, dead perinium thang?

thanks for the blurb, i don't feel so alone anymore; but alas, i am.

mtbr member
    Well, I am a little farther along than when this post was started. Not quite sure where I am, but I have done parts of 1-7. I sometimes drink beer before and most the time after the ride, but have not put one in my bottle cage (shook up?).
    I guess I am a little different too because I have not converted to the rigid fork. I can see how it would be nice for some things, but my bad wrists keep me from trying. I don't have a new high tech fork, but something to break the edge off.

I am currently trying to figure out where I can come up with the money to get my blinglespeed. My 1x1 is nice, but I want so much more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Great thread! I never went through the parts obsession, just because I figured the simplicity of the bike would make it light enough. But now I'm selling my geared road bike -- the last of the derailleurs -- so I can get that SS 29er. Then I'll have it all: a fixie, a cruiser, and an SS Bigwheel. What more could a man possibly need? The facial hair is coming along quite nicely, too... so call me a 7.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was lucky to have a Spot that was already pimped out as my first SS . So I whent from 1-5 emmediately. now i float back and forth from 5-8.

banned

Kinda frightening!

I'm probably going to embark on this journey sometime in the next year or so. Difference is, I'll probably skip 1-3 right off and start at 4.

Where do 29" wheels fit into this scheme?

mtbr member
    Not to honk my own horn but since I'm fairly anonymous on here and it's all relative to who you ride with I think I may be approaching # 10, "You simultaneously learn a level of humbleness"- this post excluded. Went out to show some friends the local trails I had found and been riding all summer and dropped them which suprised the hell out of me cause they usually hammer me to the ground. Probably a combination of them having an off day, my knowledge of the trails and their lack of knowledge of said trails. At anyrate feeling strong these days. I think that I skipped the whole gear ratio thing cause I'm still running the 36:18 that the sprung came with and the 34:17 the unsprung came with, mind over matter and a sincere hatered of working on my bikes. Haven't been on my geared bike since, well I can't even remember. As far as the "Fight Club", last night was the first night that I didn't take a beer with me in, well I can't remeber that either. October at night at over 8000 feet in the Rockies is no time to be hanging out swilling beer. I don't put into H2O bottles either, I've developed a system where you take a can of beer from the freezer, 15-20 minutes max, and stick it into 2 koozies, 1/2 the can in each of them. Stick it in your pack and presto, coldies for the break. Working on the throat beard as we speak, heard someone say, "why buy a scarf when you can grow one"...true enough!

mtbr member

The truth hurts

Yea number 7(b) is a killer! Were packing this week for some east coast rides. I haven't rode a gearie in ages, but the SS came of the prep stand, and the geared bike went on.

My wife being the sage old gal that she is...raised an eyebrow, but chose not to comment.

I guess I'm just wimping out because of unknown trails and elevations. I do it everytime I travel for an epic, and always miss the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    I'm solidly entrenched at 6 based on my thursday morning post ride conversation with Diamond Dave, my racing partner for this weekend's Rapture in Misery...

Dave: I'm planning on cleaning my bike for the race, how about you.

Ken: I need to get to the LBS and pick up a tube. I have a slow leak in my rear tire that I need to change out before the race.

Dave: So that's your race prep for your bike, huh?

Ken: Pretty much. I may knock some of the mud off it and lube the drive train.

Dave: When I said clean my bike, I meant that I would lube the drive train, but I'll see how motivated I am.

Dave and I are both sitting solidly at 6. There is a variation of Step 7 that I fall in to:

7. <b> Old and weak SSer </b> - You're getting old, your back kills you before, during and after every ride. Your legs and lungs tend to fail you when you ride on trails with elevations above 1000 feet. You grudglingly admit that you're not man enough to ride a SS in Colorado or Utah for more than a day without blowing up. You purchase a FS geared bike that's pretty blinged up for epic rides and epic trips that you're to big a p?to handle on your SS. 95% of the time, the FS geared bike is a $3,500 boat anchor sitting neglected in your garage. You can't sell it because you need the crutch when you ride out of state trails, but for most of the riding that you do, your preference is the SS.

Ken
    Can't outride Karma

zeebot
    I think I fell off the chart. Went through most of those stages but got lost after 8. I bent my frame, got a cross check and have been riding that mostly solo single speed style on the road for generally 100+ mi rides where I hunt for the most climbing possible. Recently, the trails have been calling me back only my frame is still bent and I'm too lazy to try and get it fixed(mailing back to builder) so I've decided to cheat and make it a fixed gear. That solves the bent disc tab + broken rear avid disc bb7 problem.

I started dreaming about bombing down trails with my feet back, superman style, or perhaps putting some abrasive material on the downtube and riding down with my feet there???? hmm..

Maybe I'll find my way back one of these days...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I hear ya

I'm on the Cross Check / Fixed trip too right now. I applied the skateboard grip tape to the downtube in August and it's been all downhill (literally) from there.

mtbr member

Good job! Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    I'm probably going to embark on this journey sometime in the next year or so. Difference is, I'll probably skip 1-3 right off and start at 4.

Where do 29" wheels fit into this scheme?
    See below............

1. Build your first singlespeed Yep
    2. Upgrade madness –It is a sickness. Wifey says “Well it is better than being addicted to drugs”. However she does refer M-Biking as my “Master”
    3. Gear ratios – Nope all steep ups and downs here sticking with one ratio
    4. Realization – On my third SS in the past 18 months! (two 26’ers and now a 29’er. Never going back NEVER!) Also looking at a fourth (custom 29’er).
    5. Purism – Negative on the rigid thang. Been there. My 40 something elbows and wrists hurt too much on a rigid fork. you realize that you're almost exclusively riding your SS. Your other bikes are collecting dust. Under your breath, you sometimes mock others riding gears and work your butt off to one-up them. You use your SS as a tool to brag or as an excuse / handicap (I geared too stiff for the course...) I sometimes chose to ride alone because most of my riding buddies only have FS geared trail bikes.
    6. Laziness – AHH not there yet but you are scaring me
    7. Heresy – 75% there. Have no desire to ride it at all. If I am forced to ride it I ***** the whole time (under my breath)

8. Fight club – Yikes! The Guinness flows after the ride

9 (optional) Scorching Not there
    10. Approach martyrdom – My goal

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have recently converted to the dark side. I just did no. 7. No looking back.

Retro Grouch

7.a <b>Heresy </b>- ride your SS so much, that when you ride your geared bike, you miss your SS. You take it one step further and actually sell off the geared bike(s) that you previously couldn't live without.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    There is a variation of Step 7 that I fall in to:

7b. <b> Old and weak SSer </b> - You're getting old, your back kills you before, during and after every ride. Your legs and lungs tend to fail you when you ride on trails with elevations above 1000 feet. You grudglingly admit that you're not man enough to ride a SS in Colorado or Utah for more than a day without blowing up. You purchase a FS geared bike that's pretty blinged up for epic rides and epic trips that you're to big a p?to handle on your SS. 95% of the time, the FS geared bike is a $3,500 boat anchor sitting neglected in your garage. You can't sell it because you need the crutch when you ride out of state trails, but for most of the riding that you do, your preference is the SS.

Ken
    I'm definately somewhere in 7 (skipped 6 entirely). I have never ridden Utah or Colorado so I don't know if I need a geared bike. I sold a Jamis Dakar FS to my buddy before I went custom years ago. I converted my old Peugeot to SS but still keep a 2 geared hardtails. One is my old Bontrager that I just can't sell (but never ride) and the other is a 94 Barracuda that I pull my 7 year old on with an Alley Cat with; but he's getting bigger so I figure I will have no need for the Baracuda by the time he's 8.

Perhaps Ken has not reached

7. c.<b> The Zen rider </b>. Usually an older bike rider and can't get SS out of his/her system. Usually rides alone and grinds his/her way on a SS even after the knees and back are shot. It's like level 10 but you're old and slow. You are one with the bike so you still your mind and either look within or listen to God's whispers.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 10-13-2005 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    When this was printed in The Outcast magazine (www.yesweareontheweb.com) there was an additional stage...

Step 11: Disapear up own ass

Alex

What???? I'm published????

By the way, still on #9.

Really I am that slow

Good job! shooting for ten

Thanks for the good read..
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

crossed sickness phase

Well it's winter, it's been raining in western Wa and that means it's cross season, so far I have done 3 races this season, 2fixed and one on the geared bike, cause it was less then 24 hours after the 2nd race, but with the geared cross bike so dirty still, I'll probably just try fixed for the rest of the season, I won't even have to worry about wearing down my rear wheel braking surface.
    I never really rode off road with gears, I did definitly get into the upgrade madness stage, now I've got 7 bikes, ssrigid aluminum monocog with dh tires and profiles, Kona unit with a zoke, older orange/red 03 color, Pea green cross check ss fixed cross racer, bright yellow custom Curtlo geared cross bike which is also my road bike, 20" bmx racer, 24" bmx racer, 20" bmx bike that I ride off road with front and rear v brakes. Not quite to martydom, but I have been trail runnning with Rocko, my german shorthaired pointer to stay in shape for cross so maybe I'm on my way.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    What???? I'm published????

By the way, still on #9.
    Yep in the latest issue, err 14 I think :-)

Alex
    -

what a joke
    Doing SS for over a year now, maybe I will reach some more levels but I doubt it.

2, as I am considering getting some new tires even though the old not worn out.
    6 but that is not just about SSing but my whole life.
    8 as I dont give a crap about racing or beating any other riders or how the bike looks.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    I'm a # 9
    Every bike I see, I wanna fix. I started riding fixed on the trail too. I'm hooked! For the love of all thet's good, someone help me!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Wandering not Lost

Def. # 8....with hints of 10

was once the full on racer guy so hint's of 10 still exist...so def a level 8 with hints of the zen rider...

10 is the goal.....ride till I melt away the pounds get the guant hungry look and become one w/ the bike once more.

peace

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I'm definately somewhere in 7 (skipped 6 entirely). I have never ridden Utah or Colorado so I don't know if I need a geared bike. I sold a Jamis Dakar FS to my buddy before I went custom years ago. I converted my old Peugeot to SS but still keep a 2 geared hardtails. One is my old Bontrager that I just can't sell (but never ride) and the other is a 94 Barracuda that I pull my 7 year old on with an Alley Cat with; but he's getting bigger so I figure I will have no need for the Baracuda by the time he's 8.

Perhaps Ken has not reached

7. c.<b> The Zen rider </b>. Usually an older bike rider and can't get SS out of his/her system. Usually rides alone and grinds his/her way on a SS even after the knees and back are shot. It's like level 10 but you're old and slow. You are one with the bike so you still your mind and either look within or listen to God's whispers.

1G1G, Brad
    Brad, I love it! Old and slow, problem is I "heart" to ride bikes! Especially fixed gear.
    VTW

Wandering not Lost

time for a re-eval

here ya go have at it.

is buachail foighneach me

the other list:

A: you get sick of breaking derailluers and the complexity and planned obsolescence of multispeed drivetrains, so you build up a single speed to give it a go. you either convert your current bike, or get a frame and fork and part out your geared bike for it.

B: you rellish in the simplicity.

C: you want everyone to know you're riding a singlespeed.

D: you don't give a sh!t if everyone knows you're riding a singlespeed or not.

E: you've been riding just singlespeeds so long you forget that your bike is different till someone points it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There has to be something about upgrading to a 29'er.

mtbr member
    Harhar

I was kinda 10ish

but dropped back to 6 - the big lazyness. I guess my front tyre leaks since 3 month and I only can motivate to put some air in it every 3 days.

mtbr member
    Just hit #9 and I'm hooked. I'm also one bike part away from getting divorced.

One What?
    To True to it all! I'm probably somewhere around the #8 mark as I rode in jeans and work boots yesterday with jeans rolled up to my knees and red wool socks. I actually thought I looked kinda cool. Just wish I was faster though!

Road Bike Review Member
    I used to think riding a ss was stupid.I got my Monocog Flight about 4 months ago and since then my Dos Niner has been a coat hanger. Ive upgraded the fork, brakes, and crank. I want new wheels now. Pretty soon all i'll have to do is get a new frame and i'll have 2 bikes. I guess i am at stage 5 now.
    Bike fleet: Scalpel, Habit SE, Synapse Hi Mod, System 6, TJ CX, Trek Speed Concept 9 series, Niner Air Nine, Ridley Noah

Reviewer/Tester
    Yes ... been through all those steps, a few times actually...

The weather has been strange here in Oz this summer, lots of rain and mud, so i've been riding my SS most of the time.

It's covered in mud and looks 'used'.

There is just 'something' about a really light SS bike...the way it feels, the way it jumps when you pedal hard...not 'twitchy', just super-responsive...

Beautiful ....

Currently i'm on about 12, I think..

R.
    Last edited by Rainman; 02-11-2008 at 01:27 AM.
    It is inevitable ...

Wandering not Lost
    IMHO

Step 10 should not be given to yourself, but is a point placed upon you by others. Just see it bad form to claim it personally.

Stayin' Puft
    Thanks. Now I am going to have to call my fanciest SS my "blinglespeed" although I don't want to.

And...suggesting beer in the waterbottles...don't give me ideas like that. Darn...checking my Sierra Nevada label for carb content.

No risk of the orange sock or pink frame...maybe yellow though. :-)

And...I want to know more about the skateboard tape...I had been considering those big footpegs the kids bolt to their bikes for tricks and so their friends can hitch a ride. I wonder if they will fit the blinglespeed...? ;-)

Sweep the leg!

1. Build your first singlespeed --okay, did that years ago.

2. Upgrade madness -- hmmm, been doing that to the Fe2+ since last year.

3. Gear ratios - Yup, midway through the first season I had that nailed.

4. Realization - well, if I hadn't broken the Rig, maybe. I'm pretty happy with the Fe2+

5. Purism - offroad, yes. Full-on rigid coolness hap'nen. But I'll never get rid of the road bikes, all 3 of them.

6. Laziness - Never happen. There is one dedicated bike that looks like it's been neglected, but its bearings are better than yours. The others are immaculate and used.

7. Heresy - Again, only on the trails. The road bikes are a protected species in my house and are revered.

8. Fight club - oops, everything but the facial hair. The Fe2+ is custom pink. What can I say?

9 (optional) Scorching - Nope, gotta be able to coast or I'm outta the gene pool.

10. Approach martyrdom - Never happen. I'm an A$$Hole roadie at heart..
    my .02
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Old, stale, negative
    At #9 and brakeless. Not proud of it, but lost in my own little world. Easily the best post I've read here!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Eightish

On my last ride I was wondering why my used CO2 cartridges were making such a rattling noise in my pack. When I got home I discovered I was still hauling around a couple of empty beer bottles from my night ride earlier in the week!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedbeer
    you become so enthralled/obsessed with the fact that fixed-gear offroad is the most fun you have ever had since you first learned to skid when you were a child that it becomes your only SS mountain bike. then, you start realizing flaws in current products and wishing for easier ways to do things even to the simplest form of biking. then, you quit your job and start a company totally based around the narrowest bicycling group known; fixed-gear mountain biking.

why? because you love it that much. peace.
    Yeah....ummm... you pretty much read my mind and while it may not be the brightest idea, I am currently looking into money issues to see if I can do just that, commit to the lifestyle I love. SS/fixed/covering the most possible ground on the most pure noble invention in history.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by BThor
    IMHO

Step 10 should not be given to yourself, but is a point placed upon you by others. Just see it bad form to claim it personally.
    Could not have been put better. I hope to be there one day but pretty sure I will not know unless someone tells me.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    my .02
    Awesome CP. Much respect from the wax poetic types here ( myself included). Thanks for keeping us in check. P.S. I have 10,000 road miles under my belt in the last 4 years. Not bragging, just saying how much I've fallen for the hype of riding SS and fixed offroad. Always respected your post but never more than this one. Keep on rolling no matter what the drive train, just as long as it's not leaving a carbon foot print.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There ain't anything mentioned about riding a century on your SS....I'm thinking about it.
    Guess that'd go under #5. Great post. I think I need a proper 29'er SS as my do it all, since I'm a converted roadie.

Harrumph
    I jumped to 9 before regressing(or evolving.....or just getting a real job) back to 2. I didn't sell my geared bike yet, but I haven't thrown a leg over it in 2 years. But I did sell my nice SS bike with the disc brakes and 700.00 suspension fork, keeping the ridged fork/single V-brake Fixie as the main ride. So what step is that?
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yes def diggin on the number 2 upgrade madness! so much fun but so painful. nothing seems to be enough just ordered some juicy sevens and they arent even here yet and already want to get new levers ahhh why

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

11. Realize that cars go much faster, and get a lovely automatic BMW.

12. Try driving a friends manual transmission and like it.

13. Get a honda civic manual, and upgrade everything about it.

14. Paint flames on your car.

15. Realize that cars give you no satisfaction, sell your car and get a bike.

16. Repeat from the begging

mtbr member
    #45 - learn how to weld

mtbr member
    Considering tattoos should be in there somewhere. Should I worry if I sprinted from 1 to 7 since July of this year?

Cam
    Great List!
    Playing off of your reference to Fight Club ...a while back I'd come up with another list:

The Rules of SS Club

1st RULE: You do not talk about SS Club...except on forums.mtbr.com

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about SS Club!

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop", goes limp, or taps out...they should go back to riding bikes with gears.

4th RULE: Only two wheels to an SS. No granny trikes.

5th RULE: One gear at a time.

6th RULE: No shirt, & no shoes...is probably not a good idea on an SS and should be saved for beach cruisers only.

7th RULE: SS Rides will go on as long as they have to...or you think you want them to.

8th RULE: If this is your first ride in SS Club, you HAVE to have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wow, didnt think i was that far along but im at 10. Went through all the steps but skipped 9. Iv recently fallen back to laziness tough.

EDIT: Iv since found a faster group of friends which has led to my return of laziness. Oh and "get a road bike" should be in there somewhere.
    Last edited by The Diesel; 10-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    My views...

1. You find out on a long uphill what "I can't breath really is"(then stand up more cause your in the first stage of the obsession)

2. You look for more and bigger hills to conquer, cause it feeds your desires(your now hooked).

3. You ride with "Gearies" just to drop them on the uphills as they sit to spin.

4. You laugh when you hear someone say "Man I torn off my rear derailer on that freek'in rock" or "My bikes not shifting right"

5. Total Obsession...You get a "Gold or Silver or Colored blingle" chain & some funky ano colored parts for your ride just to piss other off, cause they think it makes you faster, stronger. And you always comment "How you love the really cool chain" to them.

6. You talk with other SSers and ask" "Hey is that an 18 tooth in the back?" WOW!!!! Freek'in amazing! You add higher(harder) gearing knowing that now your much stronger and look for "more" speed and momentum.

IT NEVER ENDS = GOOD THING

NEPMTBA
    NOW GO RIP IT!

mtbr member

My magic #

I'm currently a #5, #6. #7 hybrid...sort of a mutt I suppose.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Once again my philosophy won't be categorized. I'm closest to a five. I dropped the bling mostly with the gears years ago. I say mostly because I do own a Steelman CX SS. That is the roadie. The parts on it are nice but reasonable. My trailbike is a 1x1 rigid with 2.5's and V brakes. Purism to me doesn't exclude Shimano, I use the best part I can find at the best price. I run a new Shimano square BB I got for $7. Impossible to beat that for performance for $ value. That is the machine part, as far as training goes I have been rocking the Neandertal SS. I have gone back to running. I go real fast and can even feel the flow of the trails. Now that is pure.

Now wr rollin on a Boom!
    Ha ha! Really funny 'cause it's true!

Somewhere in the 5-7 range you could insert something like:

"Still own a super nice, high zoot geared fs bike, but love the hardtail/rigid SS so much that you bring it on stupidly steep, idiotically rocky, high altitude rides much better suited to the fully you left at home."
    "I think it's cool how the best line is also usually the most beautiful line" --Kurt F, Tamarancho, Safety Meeting

smell the saddle...
    I was reading through this list thinking it was the same generic stuff I have ridden on SS philosophy several times previous until I got to #8. I do have a pink & black SS I use strictly for road riding (commutes and such). I also am a fan of knee-high striped socks both on the trail and off. Im not sure when or why this occurred, but I find myself not caring much anymore. Add full tattoo sleeves along with a new found love of real Zen (blissful nothingness).

So I guess I am #9, first I hear of 63xc so I guess it needs some looking into before I reach martyrdom

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    or you could just say.....

#11. Become a hipster.

Single Speed Junkie
    [QUOTE=paqrat]

1. Build your first singlespeed -- Skipped this one in favor of a Ventana El Toro at the time.

2. Upgrade madness -- Built the bling speed a few times now.

3. Gear ratios - Don't care what gear ratio I have that day, but have enough parts to outfit several SS at this point. Friends hit me up before the LBS for SS gear.

4. Realization - Have to many SS now attempting to part with alll but a few.

5. Purism - Achived this first ride out. Now considering building a rigid bike with fat rubber.

6. Laziness - Nope, must keep all bike running in prime condition. Any and all repairs are done at the end of each ride as needed.

7. Heresy - Forgot how to shift and ride the FS bike. Must attempt to ride it as a SS over tech terrain.

8. Fight club - Does Scotch count?

9 (optional) Scorching - Going to argue that the 29er counts here or perhaps the track bike....

10. Approach martyrdom - With a family this is a lofty goal, but have seen the promise land on rare occassions. There is always going to be someone faster, perhaps not as crazy, but faster of course.

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    or you could just say.....

#11. Become a hipster.
    wrong, most people do that first...

My spoon is too big!
    1. Build your first singlespeed -- Check.

2. Upgrade madness -- Nope, don't have the money or desire for the bling. Upgrade as things break.

3. Gear ratios - 32-16 was too tall, went to 32-20, perfect for nearly everything I ride.

4. Realization - not yet, maybe if I come into a large sum of money.

5. Purism - Heading towards this one. If I could run my FS bike as a SS, I would ditch the gears for good.

6. Laziness - Nope. I'm anal about maintenance.

7. Heresy - I love the SS, but I'm not ready to ditch the geared FS yet.

8. Fight club - Nope. Though maybe at times.

9 (optional) Scorching - Not a chance.

10. Approach martyrdom - Trying to avoid this one.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    haha im still at 2 and 3 and will be for a while
    (im 15 go figure)

trail rat
    8, 5, 8, 7, 8, 5, 8, 7, 5, 7 ping pong. I got some fugly socks, oh, and baggies I wear over the lycra.

Wet months I do much time at 9, teaches me balance skills while always pedaliing, fore and aft well as starboard and port.

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This has to be one of the best singlespeed related posts I have ever seen!

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    definately in a mix between 1, 2, and 3 but mostely 2 and 3
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

mtbr member
    Good stuff.

IMHO after #10 Martyrdom, #11 must be 1,000 beautiful Virgins.
    anything Steel

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    11. Realize that singlespeeding and 29'ers are overdone, ubiquitous, psuedo-hip and trendy. Go back to gears, 3" - 4" of suspension front and rear, and 26" wheels, shave off that false-ironic mustache, get a haircut and a real job, and be "different."

Again.

12. Get another singlespeed and another 29'er, but make fun of people who ride singlespeeds and 29'ers. Be really ironic, but admit your own extreme hypocricy.

Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I must of missed the memo because I went from #1 to:

#1a. SS'ing sucks. IGH is where it's at. End of story.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    im on step 4
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Daryl
    May 2007
    Haha. Got on this late, but 7C is me here in Colorado. 54 years old, ride my 29er rigid singlespeed about 8 hours a week by myself - push it through the really steep sections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast