mtbr member

Tax on US import of frames

Has anyone who's bought a frame from outside the US being taxed on it's cost at import?
    I've not heard of anyone, but does anyone have any info?
    Typically people importing INTO the UK from the US get hit for 15% and 17.5%... what is it going TO the USA?

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by brant@on-one.co.uk
    Has anyone who's bought a frame from outside the US being taxed on it's cost at import?
    I've not heard of anyone, but does anyone have any info?
    Typically people importing INTO the UK from the US get hit for 15% and 17.5%... what is it going TO the USA?
    i have no experience with bike frames, but with other stuff (ski stuff, clothing) i have found that i actually save money by getting my VAT back at the airport, to the tune of about 10-15% after the tax-free service takes their part.
    but i didnt declare it on my customs form. i think there is a limit of like $400 USD duty-free on the form when you come back to the states. or maybe $100, i cant remember.

edit: you have to have a US passport to get the tax-free for tourists VAT return dealie. brant: you could hire a 'mule'!
    Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 02-07-2005 at 10:09 AM.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    i have no experience with bike frames, but with other stuff (ski stuff, clothing) i have found that i actually save money by getting my VAT back at the airport, to the tune of about 10-15% after the tax-free service takes their part.
    but i didnt declare it on my customs form. i think there is a limit of like $400 USD duty-free on the form when you come back to the states. or maybe $100, i cant remember.
    Here's the rules for travelers, doesn't cover regular import though.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Drinkin' Buddy

Found the Tariff pages

Looks like complete bikes are taxed at 11%, or at 8.2% of the country of origin is part of the "Generalized System of Prefernces." (Sorry, could not find out if UK is part of that.)
    Frames and forks are taxed at 3.9%, or tariff free if coming from a GSP country
    Here is the url of the relevant .pdf. You want to scoll down to pages 16 and 17 for the sections relevant to bicycles.
    http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/h...er/0500c87.pdf
    Got Beer?

JRA
    mtbr member

Re: tax at import

Quote Originally Posted by brant@on-one.co.uk
    I had to pay an extra ~$28 when I picked up my frame from the Post Office here in Washington State. Never was told was that extra money was for but I'm theorizing that I got hit with the Washington State sales tax.

Members who have read this thread: 0