Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tao-iSSm

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Tao-iSSm

Liz(3blackbikes) and I departed from Cloudcroft New Mexico sometime late afternoon and arrived in Taos shortly after midnight. We've tried several times to set up a shuttle to ride the South Boundary trail but the local shuttle provider was asking for $120. Which i thought was a ridiculous amount. I wanted to hook up with AndyN but it's a Friday and he's at work.

A shuttle ride without a shuttle....hmmmm. This means we have to ride our bikes from the town of Taos early in the morning to the mountains of Angel Fire. We have been riding for 3 straight days and this "shuttle" ride alone is almost 30 miles if we added the paved road from Taos, then this will turn out to be "one of those rides".

I promised Liz everything will work out, but now after this, i'm not entirely sure. A broken axle held together by a couple of zip ties. My luck has got to change...

In the mean while, do we continue with our original plans of riding South Boundary trail or just head back to the hotel and drink beers as Eske's?

decisions, decisions, decisions...

What would you do?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Obviously you chose beers right?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'd stay far away from Native Sons, since they consider it an imposition (witness the price) to provide a service that they advertise as offering. Stop by the real bike shop in town and see if they can hook you up. Or PM Greg and see if he's available. I'd run up there and shuttle with you all tomorrow, but I've got a local ride with the wife planned. Good luck, and enjoy! Weather ought to be better tomorrow anyway.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Work on my wheelies.

I am Beaver
    I'm packing Zip ties

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Drink beer at Eske's and maybe one of the fine folks there will offer some help.

brownpow! (?)
    Woah, is that Maxle 20!!? Scary. I hope mine don't do that
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

Apr 2007
    There's gotta be some kid in town that is willing to give you a ride for $50.

mtbr member
    This should be interesting.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    I'd stay far away from Native Sons, since they consider it an imposition (witness the price) to provide a service that they advertise as offering. Stop by the real bike shop in town and see if they can hook you up. Or PM Greg and see if he's available. I'd run up there and shuttle with you all tomorrow, but I've got a local ride with the wife planned. Good luck, and enjoy! Weather ought to be better tomorrow anyway.
    Yeah, Greg de Taos is your best bet for infoz.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monkei View Post
    Woah, is that Maxle 20!!? Scary. I hope mine don't do that
    Yes, it's a Maxle!

mtbr member
    Get a bigger Ziptie.

Obi
    mtbr member
    A singlespeed wouldn't have had those issues.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    A broken axle held together by a couple of zip ties...What would you do?
    Moar beer.

Oh, and maybe practice zip tie'in the axle instead of the fork leg.

Jus sayin'

mnt bike laws of physics
    Drive to Anglefire and ride the lifts for $22

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Scott forty G.;. This means we have to ride our bikes from the town of Taos early in the morning to the mountains of Angel Fire. We have been riding for 3 straight days and this "shuttle" ride alone is almost 30 miles if we added the paved road from Taos

Just ride up Taos canyon to Shady Brook and climb Mondragon to SBT at Garcia Park. If you want more loop a climb up SBT to Jaracita and then back down.

mtbr member
    Really???? How is it you keep getting into these adventures??

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I would drive north out of town and hit the Horsethief trail. Rode it once when we were floating through town and had a blast. Eskes is a must stop.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    I dont' know! But i ask myself this every time im in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Really???? How is it you keep getting into these adventures??

Teen Wolf
    beer, always beer. why are you even riding your bike? just drink beer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Are we really supposed to feel sorry for you? Most of us are at work or tied up with family obligations. HTFU and ride. Drunk lots of beer afterwards!

mtbr member
    Drink beer while deciding what to do....then it might be too late, so drink more!
    New axle in the morning.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yay story time!! This should be good; I should know, I was there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Metal epoxy/JB Weld that SOB!

...and don't forget the duct tape

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Hallelujah!

So, it's about 6:00AM and here i was sitting at the hotel lobby having coffee and just trying to figure out what i'm going to do...

Ride our bikes all the way to Angel fire or just ride something else in town.

After having breakfast and chatting up with the receptionist, i asked her if she knew anybody that would want to make a quick $50 to take us up Angel Fire. She said that she would call and ask around...it was a long a shot.

45 minutes later.... SCORE!

meet Julio, he is this awesome guy that offered to take us up in his truck. We got to know Julio fairly well in such a short time. Turns out that he is also the local Hispanic DJ for a spanish radio station.

He drove us all the way to Angel Fire, well mostly...
    the drive up was very scenic and even saw a bunch of prairie dogs just hanging around the side of the roads.

The road up that fire road was NASTY and even feared for Julios truck. He was a bit nervous so we decided to stop half way and just climb up to the South Boundary trailhead.

So we climbed and climbed....until we reached the trailhead then we climbed some more! Dammit, i thought it was all downhill LOL.

The weather was excellent and sunny with a gentle breeze though it seems from a far distance that there will be a thunder storm brewing within the nexy hour...

So, we high tailed up and down the South Boundary trail trying not to get caught up in that dark cloud.

Seems like it's closing in pretty fast though.

Liz and I both experience some pretty unusual stuff up in Cloudcroft NM so a rain is something that really wont bother us as much as it should.(story to come)

But for now, we are here to enjoy this...

Here is a true definition of a singletrack trail

This section of the trail was amazing and fairly fast through some pines.

and even some Aspens

and more Aspens.

even found a little log ride to play on
    This took me a million tries because i iz got no skillz.

Some of the leaves on the trees are actually changing colors for the season.

The view of the meadow from where this photo was taken was breathtaking.

Since we have not ridden this trail before and only have bits of information and pictures of the map, regardless of the trail having a bit of forks, it was really easy to navigate.

This section of the trail is a ton of fun as well, it is fast with small jumps for you huckers and wannabe's.

And if you like Aspen trees, The South Boundary trail has a huge groves of Apsens. Really cool and scenic as you ride through and under them.

Liz loves the Aspen trees!

At this point we couldn't stop giggling like a bunch of high school girls and it was nearly impossible to wipe that silly grin off from our face....well almost impossible. The thunder storm is directly behind us now.... and i think we might be running out of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast