mtbr member
    Aug 2017

New question here. Swobo Mutineer Opinions?

There are only a few reviews of this bike and some old threads on this site. Does anyone have this bike or another one of Swobo's that could offer some advice? At my local bike store, it is normally $480, and is $450 right now. There will be a sale this weekend where bikes are 10-40% off. Would that be a good time to get it? Thanks!
    Road Rider
    High school NICA racer
    Zwifter

Santa Cruz Superlight
    Specialized Allez Elite
    State Bicycles Pulsar Single Speed

wanna ride bikes?
    Cheap Aluminum frame, Meh. I like the segmented steel fork, but it's also an unknown quantity. Strait steer tube means you'll have a hard time finding an old suspension fork should you ever choose to go that route. Decent mechanical disc brakes, ok tires.

The geometry isn't awful, but it's not good either. The sizing is way off, what they call a large I would consider a medium, pay close attention there.

If it was dirt freakin cheap and it wasn't your primary ride, maybe. Or if you just need something to bomb around on and you don't care if it gets stolen, maybe. If your planning on making this your primary bike I'd look elsewhere. I'm not a fan of aluminum frames for a rigid bike. You'd be better off looking for a decent used SS IMO.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I don't plan on getting a suspension fork for it. I already have a mountain bike. I'd be using it to get to school, maybe ride at the BMX track nearby (it seems like a big BMX bike), ride around town, maybe take it on some easy mountain bike trails. I would be leaving it out all day almost all year around (I live in Colorado) and would need something that wouldn't be damaged too much by that. I have seen that BB7's are pretty much the best mechanical disc brake you can get. I have realized the sizing is way off when I went to try it. Tried the medium and it was pretty small. Thanks for the advice!
    Road Rider
    High school NICA racer
    Zwifter

Santa Cruz Superlight
    Specialized Allez Elite

AKA Pat McGroin
    Mar 2008
    I picked one up recently, and ordered up a size,as noted above. Fun little bike, acccelerates really well with the 27.5 wheels, stiff frame. Bb is sky high, so no pedal strikes and the thing loves to be tossed around and leaned hard into tight corners. Overall, I like it, especially considering the price. That being said, I feel like the little wheels are gonna fall into a hole and hurl me over the bars! Just used to 29ers! Should work well for what you intend to use it for and be fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ok. Thank you! It should be fine since I'm used to 26 inch wheels. XD
    Road Rider
    High school NICA racer
    Zwifter

Santa Cruz Superlight
    Specialized Allez Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hope you bought it ! I did a year ago and I keep smiling ;-)
    They only things I changed over the year was to get a shorter stem 35mm, dropper post, tires change to Scwalbe Thunder Burt F&R, chainring 32 sprocket 14, seat WTB.
    That bike got me a lot smother on the trail, I had to forget suspensions re-learned body position, now I play a lot more on the trails.
    For the size I'm 5'9" 31" inseam and very happy on a medium.