Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    149

    Swapping cogs made easy

    After being introduced to a new cog technology on a previous thread, I decided to give the "quick-cog" by Lunar Bikes a chance.

    The design is very solid with high quality manufacturing. I purchased this with 2 optional cogs that attach to the base. Changing them is very easy by simply removing a securing ring. I'm impressed with this product so I figured I would share.

    I recently moved to a new area and I'm working on finding the best gear for the various rides. Also, as in most places, the terrain is vastly different from one trail to another so I can gear appropriately prior to heading to a certain location in only a minute.

    For the record: I paid, my own hard earned money, for the quick-cog and I have no affiliation with Lunar Bike whatsoever. I'm just excited about this new product and wanted to let y'all know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swapping cogs made easy-rsz_cog.jpg  

    Swapping cogs made easy-rsz_cog2.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A1an's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,580
    Thanks for the initial review. Look forward to see some follow up after prolonged use.
    Signature

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trrubicon06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    257
    No experience with those, but I do with Gear Clamp. I find these very easy for adjusting chainline and swapping standard cogs.




  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    I have been using g clamp as above for the last 2 months. Very easy to change gearing and achieve perfect chainline. Only need allen keys to change, no need for a chain whip.I would recommend this product.

  5. #5
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    that lunar cog looks cool. is there a play between the base and cog interface?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,310

    Tool?

    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    Changing them is very easy by simply removing a securing ring.
    Does this require a special tool or something I would ordinarily carry on my rides?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    694
    GearClamp rocks if you're using a traditional SS tensioning method (ebb, track ends...), but I've had issues when running a tensioner

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    Does this require a special tool or something I would ordinarily carry on my rides?
    I looked into this a while ago and according to the site the cog can be swapped without special tools. IIRC anything pointy will do, like a knife blade, flat screwdriver or similar.

    I'm very tempted to get this Lunar cog. Mostly I just ride 34/20 and don't worry about speed, but I have the feeling I'm missing out on something and can't be arsed to buy a 19t cog and change it. The chainwhip and lockring tool are a turn-off for me, I like to avoid touching them.

    The gear clamp looks like a brilliant innovation as well.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Is it really that hard to brake out a chain whip, and switch a cog, what is it, 3 to 4 minutes tops.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joshhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    GearClamp rocks if you're using a traditional SS tensioning method (ebb, track ends...), but I've had issues when running a tensioner
    What kind of issues have you into? I would have been interested in trying the gearclamp out.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    What kind of issues have you into? I would have been interested in trying the gearclamp out.
    When using a sprung tensioner, I was getting abnormal skipping, seemingly because with the Gear Clamp there is no compression on the cog stack, there is a tiny amount of play. Using a lock ring, the cog is under pressure and will remain straight on the hub, but with the gear clamp there is a tiny amount of play that ended up being enough to allow skipping with a tensioner.

    That being said, I have two Gear Clamps and find them to be a killer product and continue to use them.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Is it really that hard to brake out a chain whip, and switch a cog, what is it, 3 to 4 minutes tops.
    Now that I started thinking about it, it really isn't such a big fuss. Maybe I should keep the chain whip and lock ring tool more easily available so I'd be out of excuses.

  13. #13
    human dehumidifier
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    When using a sprung tensioner, I was getting abnormal skipping, seemingly because with the Gear Clamp there is no compression on the cog stack, there is a tiny amount of play.
    I wondered how you'd know you had the play out of the cog setup using that system. I guess you just push it over tighten it up and hope for the best?
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

  14. #14
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I wondered how you'd know you had the play out of the cog setup using that system. I guess you just push it over tighten it up and hope for the best?
    preload it with spacers and regular lockring then tighten the clamp.

    not really sold with this design.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  15. #15
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    preload it with spacers and regular lockring then tighten the clamp.

    not really sold with this design.
    But then I don't really see the benefit. You still have to use a lock ring tool and chain whip and it seems like more work in the end. To me, spacers and the right tools are quick and easy enough. Plus, I like the look of the spacers on the freewheel. It takes me less than 2 minutes to change out cogs.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    149
    There aren't any special tools needed and there isn't any play at all between the cog and the base. It's manufactured very tight and solid. I like the feeling of swapping it out without using the other tools and what I feel can turn out to be wear and tear on the freewheel body. The lock ring/spring, or whatever it's called, can be pulled off using a thumbnail.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: itsdoable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,878
    I'd be curiuos to see if the cog indents the aluminium carrier over time, especially those running low ratios with a large cog. Was planning on trying one, but shipping here is a bit steep ... have to get a few more people interested first.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
    No experience with those, but I do with Gear Clamp. I find these very easy for adjusting chainline and swapping standard cogs.



    This is an ugly solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.

  19. #19
    Trail Junkie
    Reputation: dubdryver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    This is an ugly solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.
    Ugly doesn't mean its not effective!

    I have used gear clamps along with the same make cogs (Niner) with great success. Since all the Niner Cogalicious cogs are the same width..no adjustment needed except for the slider. No cassette tool or chainwhip needed to remove or swap...Just 3mm allen wrench. They are also very light and inexpensive ($20).

    I however, know exactly which cog I need for where I ride or have been riding..so I use regular spacers because it does look cleaner and goes with the other gold on my bike. If I do travel, and do need to swap cogs, I put the clamps back on!

    Sprocket47- sorry for the thread steal, but GearClamps are another great solution.
    ..and no I don't work for them, nor do I receive any promotions from the company.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

    Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

  20. #20
    Ride Responsibly
    Reputation: LWright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,945
    Here you go; http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-029/index.html

    Although if you need more than one rear cog why not just go 1x9?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    Ugly doesn't mean its not effective!

    I have used gear clamps along with the same make cogs (Niner) with great success. Since all the Niner Cogalicious cogs are the same width..no adjustment needed except for the slider. No cassette tool or chainwhip needed to remove or swap...Just 3mm allen wrench. They are also very light and inexpensive ($20).

    I however, know exactly which cog I need for where I ride or have been riding..so I use regular spacers because it does look cleaner and goes with the other gold on my bike. If I do travel, and do need to swap cogs, I put the clamps back on!

    Sprocket47- sorry for the thread steal, but GearClamps are another great solution.
    ..and no I don't work for them, nor do I receive any promotions from the company.
    I also can't imagine trying to take those things off when they're all caked with mud.

  22. #22
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    that clamp will be less ugly if they did the bolts like what you see on lock-on grips. still not buying though.

    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    This is an ugly solution to a problem that doesn't even exist.
    Unless you want to be able to change cogs with a multi-tool...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    300
    Although the cogs are very easy to change, that was not the primary goal of the design. In fact the 1st prototype was a 3-piece design with the cog in the center and the cassette had to be dissembled to change the cog.

    The primary goal was to make a low cost cog out of the highest quality material and manufacturing processes available. By using a two piece design, there is not much wasted material and machine time as you would get trying to machine it from one solid part. We are able to sell what is probably the highest quality cog out there for only $25; it would have cost 4-5 times that if it was machined from single piece. Also the cassette spline of any cog usually has no wear compared to the teeth, so paying for that to be machined every time you buy a new cog is a waste. Our driver can be reused with other cog sizes so there is no waste.

    We have tested this design for the past nine months with heavy strong riders and so far not even a hint of any wear on the cog teeth or spline interface. The deep, large diameter spline interface has so much surface area that the load in pounds/sq.in is very low and will not cause any displacement or wear of the material.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMan View Post
    Although the cogs are very easy to change, that was not the primary goal of the design. In fact the 1st prototype was a 3-piece design with the cog in the center and the cassette had to be dissembled to change the cog.

    The primary goal was to make a low cost cog out of the highest quality material and manufacturing processes available. By using a two piece design, there is not much wasted material and machine time as you would get trying to machine it from one solid part. We are able to sell what is probably the highest quality cog out there for only $25; it would have cost 4-5 times that if it was machined from single piece.
    Thanks for the background. The additional context really highlights the creativity and innovation that was applied to the product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •