dutchie
    Jan 2004

Is this Suzue hub any good..

Will use them for a fixie beaterbike, low budget with frontbrake (problably a rear one too). Any one any expierence with them. Please let me know asap.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard

ps. no skidding (I suck at that on my other fixie too, and it's killing my knees), and will use a EAI cog

"Mr. Britannica"
    loose-ball bearings and pseudo-track nuts.... functional, utilitarian, no flash.

ANOTHER bike project???

Penis Goat!
    Ask over on the fixie board at Road Bike Review. From what I've read over there, most don't think the loose ball Suzues are worth it. They seem like they have a reputation.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    They seem like they have a reputation.
    Yah, for the threads stripping off.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    loose-ball bearings and pseudo-track nuts.... functional, utilitarian, no flash.

ANOTHER bike project???
    Yes kinda. I need a cheap bike (bar-racers or stationbikes as we call them) to get around town after the lights go down. Fixed gives it a little extra theft insurance.
    So I need a bike that is unattractive, not flashy, cheap, not really missed when stolen, and one which I can easily accept when someone thinks it's funny to stand on and taco my wheels.

Frame wil be either a dutch gents bike with roadie wheels, plus piont of those is the use forks ends. Other option a roadie frame, with fw facing horizontal dropouts. I'll get either one from a friend. Have some parts at home to build it on the cheap, maybe park it in rotterdam to get from the station to school.

It'll problably be the roadie frame, which will be painted stealth black. Your description of the hubs fit exactly what i have on my mind, usefull not flashy. Loose bearings are even easier to replace, so that might be a pluspoint.

OT: cough - keep a - cough - eye on - cough - your mailbox - cough .

cheers
    Richard.

mtbr member
    We're handling Suzue in the UK now - http://www.suzue.co.uk is directed to on-one...

And those SP hubs really aren't tremendous - particularly the bearings - ray thought they had SQUARE bearings in there!

But they are super cheap.

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Ask over on the fixie board at Road Bike Review. From what I've read over there, most don't think the loose ball Suzues are worth it. They seem like they have a reputation.
    Already did that, I even put some extra lines in the post there to make clear I'm looking for a really cheap, somewhat decent hub.

thanks for the suggestion though.
    Richard

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Setzer
    Yes kinda. I need a cheap bike (bar-racers or stationbikes as we call them) to get around town after the lights go down. Fixed gives it a little extra theft insurance.
    So I need a bike that is unattractive, not flashy, cheap, not really missed when stolen, and one which I can easily accept when someone thinks it's funny to stand on and taco my wheels.

Frame wil be either a dutch gents bike with roadie wheels, plus piont of those is the use forks ends. Other option a roadie frame, with fw facing horizontal dropouts. I'll get either one from a friend. Have some parts at home to build it on the cheap, maybe park it in rotterdam to get from the station to school.

It'll problably be the roadie frame, which will be painted stealth black. Your description of the hubs fit exactly what i have on my mind, usefull not flashy. Loose bearings are even easier to replace, so that might be a pluspoint.

OT: cough - keep a - cough - eye on - cough - your mailbox - cough .

cheers
    Richard.

Been meaning to send you a box of goodies for awhile now. Hopefully soon. You will like it.

BTW, IIRC those are the hubs that came on the old Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a.
    Last edited by roadiegonebad; 02-08-2005 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm using a set on my road fixie. They......uh......work =). I haven't had one strip although two people I ride with have. Plus, like Brant said, the bearing smoothness leaves something to be desired =). I've heard a couple of good things about the IRO fixie hubs. Anybody have any experience with those? (sorry for the blatant thread hijacking)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe0807
    I'm using a set on my road fixie. They......uh......work =). I haven't had one strip although two people I ride with have. Plus, like Brant said, the bearing smoothness leaves something to be desired =). I've heard a couple of good things about the IRO fixie hubs. Anybody have any experience with those? (sorry for the blatant thread hijacking)
    Just like everyone else said, they strip easily when subjected to the abuse from such fun activities as skidding and skipping, and I've heard that with a lot of maintenance early and often, they can be fairly smooth. However, I've been riding the IRO hubs for 6 months, and they've been serving me very well. They are smooth, require no maintenance even though I'm riding every single day in Michigan, and they're cheap too. Also, I skip and skid nonstop (well, not nonstop, but a lot) and haven't had any problems. And if it matters, they look real good and come in a black version (though branded differently) from "bensbike" on eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ready for frustration

I have the rear Suzue on my fixie except I altered it with a grease port: Homemade grease-ports, or, my new fixie.

As for the hub, it was cheap and you get what you pay for. The threads on the fixed side were jacked from the beginning and I couldn't thread the cog on, pretty disappointing because I already built the wheel. But 3 hours with a file a magnifying glass redefining the threads and everything ran smoothly, for about 4 months. Two weeks ago I noticed a pretty good bend in the axel while trying to tighten the cones. I don't know if it is the hubs fault, frames fault, or my beafy 100 pound self.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A way to make those hubs roll butter smooth is to clean out all the grease and pack them with lapping compound. Then ride around the block a couple of times. Clean out and repack with a finer grade compound and ride around the block a couple of times. Then clean out and repack with some real grease and get some really good ball bearings from a bearing supply house. Works like a champ. You can also upgrade the axles and get some real track nuts. Got a set I did that too. You wouldn't believe how much of a differance it made.

Tim

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimT
    A way to make those hubs roll butter smooth is to clean out all the grease and pack them with lapping compound. Then ride around the block a couple of times. Clean out and repack with a finer grade compound and ride around the block a couple of times. Then clean out and repack with some real grease and get some really good ball bearings from a bearing supply house. Works like a champ. You can also upgrade the axles and get some real track nuts. Got a set I did that too. You wouldn't believe how much of a differance it made.

Tim
    Sounds like I just need to get some IRO hubs. What a pain.

Are your pants fresh?

Those IRO hubs...

I believe are made by Formula. I got a set (flip-flop fixed/free) from the aforementioned eBayer and just picked up the freshly built wheels (mmm, wheeels...) from my local shop. They spin really nice and a couple of guys in the shop remarked on how smooth they were. Of course I haven't ridden them yet, but the quality seems great for the price. They're black, high flange, with cutouts. I don't have any fixed experience (yet) but so far so good. Sheldon Brown's site has 'em as well.

Here's a few pics:

before:

after-ish:

FP