mtbr member
    Jan 2009

surly tugnut tensioning bummer

so, I'm running a 'slot dropout' on-one with a rear QR, and a surly tugnut w/ the QR adapter. my chain exploded on a recent ride so I got a new one -- SRAM PC870.

Here's what's bumming me out. There are two positions on the tugnut, one forward and one rear. If I use the rear one, even with the adjuster screw backed out the whole way, I still have too much tension on the chain (it binds). If I use the forward one, even with the adjuster screw the whole way in, not enough tension.

Easy fix you say: remove a link from your chain and run on the forward position. No. Tried that: removing a link makes the chain too short even with the rear wheel slammed fully forward in the dropout.

Now is the part where I'm really confused. I was running it in the forward position before with no problem. Chain was a PC970. (9, not 8). Apparently the links are a different size on that chain? Or I'm high?

mtbr member
    Very similar setup here (Inbred 29er, Surly Tuggnut, QR skewer). I've run into that before and got really frustrated. I came back later to try again with a fresh mind and voila! the forward position did work. Sorry I don't have any other tips for you

mtbr member
    Was the 970 used? Chains stretch so if it was used that could be the reason it fit.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Pictures maybe? I'm not familiar with the tugnut, but I am surprised that you can't find the appropriate setting to get that chain properly tuned. Did you try giving it a beer first? I guess worst case you could pick up a redline tensioner- they are really cheap and there hasn't been a track dropout that they haven't worked splendidly on.

never ender
    Chains stretch. Every now and again I take up the slack in mine, and I'm running out of room on my tugnut tension screw. You could try adding another powerlink and running the tensioner in the rearward position.

mtbr member
    If you still can't figure it out, try a half-link. Pretty easy to install and should cost about a buck at your bike shop. Just make sure to put it a link or two away from your quick link since they don't play well together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you're high.

the forward position when pulled all the way back basically moves the axle into the rearward position (if the tuggnut had been all the way forward)
    so between them there's really no way it can't work.

relax, go have a nice cold one outside, come back with your eyes more focused, sure it'll work out.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    you're high.

the forward position when pulled all the way back basically moves the axle into the rearward position (if the tuggnut had been all the way forward)
    so between them there's really no way it can't work.

relax, go have a nice cold one outside, come back with your eyes more focused, sure it'll work out.
    Yep, I measured the distance between the two hole positions and the length of available adjustment from the screw and they appear to be the same, if not slightly more range from the screw. This means there should be at least a slight overlap. Maybe the screw isn't threaded far enough in one direction or something else is preventing full adjustment?

mtbr member

Any pics?

Not trying to threadjack, but I recently bought an older On-one Inbred and was curious if a tugnut would work on a slot dropout type. I'm also interested to see if the suggestions above work out. If the beer suggestion doesn't seem to resolve the issue, try it again. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    tuggnuts should work on any rear-facing horizontal dropouts.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Change the thumb screw to a different length bolt.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by FEsponda
    Change the thumb screw to a different length bolt.
    So your first post here was to reply to a thread from last August???
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    So your first post here was to reply to a thread from last August???
    I'm a bit slow.