Thread: Surly steel

"The Dude abides."

Surly steel

Seeing as to how my MBzip has recently been de-chainstayed I am in the market for a new bike, unless i decide to replace the chainstays. I am just looking for a frame and fork combo with a pricerange of about 300 dollars, but thats wholesale. So, of course, i looked at the 1x1, which seems to be a very solid bike that has turned out a great deal of customer appreciation. On top of that its steal, but ay theres the rub. Its some generic steel that doesn't spark fear in the hearts of Aluminum as much as say, Reynolds. To get to the point, i'm hoping a happy and informed surly customer could give me some input as to how they feel about surly steel, or just blow me away with some attractive jargon that i could only dream of understanding.
    Thanks,
    Sam

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004

that's tragic, dude!!!!

oh my god, how my heart goes out to you. i've got zip #1231, what fantastic bikes they are. after flogging her relentlessly for nine years, full rigid, as my sole mtb, i finally had to put her out to pasture, tricked out as my foul weather commuter with full fenders & lights, due to a badly ovalized head tube from almost a decade of pounding. man do i love that bike!

anyway, a year ago i built up a pair of 1x1's for the wife & i, then promptly built up another for wifey's racing bud-ette tina. they are a gas. built from brand-x 4130 cro-mo, certainly no prestige/853/ox-platinum/nivacrom/etc..., but you know what? who cares!!!!

they are great riding bikes, certainly not the lightest, but then again i gave up on the weight-weenie scene years ago. as testament, they are the only mountain bikes that get ridden any more, and we've got quite the fleet available in this here household.

do it, you won't regret it.

-eric

ps: re-chainstay that zip! that baby deserves to roll again.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

Irritating.
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MBzip
    On top of that its steal, but ay theres the rub. Its some generic steel that doesn't spark fear in the hearts of Aluminum as much as say, Reynolds.
    It's 4130, which is all that matters. If the aluminium/ti/carbon crowd gives you any grief, rest assured that you can bludgeon them to death with the frame with no ill effects. Try that with an 853 frame. The friction of the bludgeoning will heat an 853 tubeset beyond acceptable limits, thus weakening it. 4130 CrMo is made of much sterner stuff.

Working-class steel, able to drink Mickeys and Jameson in a single bound, yet able to comfort a crying child when it arrives at home.

A family frame, an American frame, a frame for the future! Surly frames are truly the stuff of the working class.

I am the owl

Good job!

4130 has served well for many a BMX bike. If a beer can riding fool wants to give you lip about your frame material, the Surly is derby certified so you can take them out quick and silent. As a bonus the black paint masks blood stains well.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Irritating.
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydrunkenpee
    A family frame, an American frame, a frame for the future! Surly frames are truly the stuff of the working class.

I really -really- have to stop going out on Thursday nights. Good god was I drunk when I wrote this..

mtbr member
    Yeah baby!

Get the Surly and there will be no regrets. Especially considering that you only want to spend $300. I bought my Surly years ago... I have often thought of upgrading the frame to something a bit nicer (like an IF, Gunnar, etc.) But I just can't depart the fantastic ride. It is comfortable, fast, and durable. I foresee riding this thing for years.

dd..''

rocky iv style
    Mar 2004

my surly...

got mine just over two months ago and the only reason my wife doesn't feel neglected is because our first kid was born just after buying the PINK 1x1, and there's nothing better than getting your priorities straight.
    anyway, two nights ago i was on a training ride for my first SS race which is this sunday. i decided to take a loose, rocky, limestone descent faster than i have ever tried...bad idea. long story short...i hit a tree full speed. the bike came to an immediate stop launching me close to ten feet down the trail. due to the immediate swelling and viciousness of the crash myself and at least one other guy thought my shin was broken. turns out i am just bruised, sore, and a little slower on downhills. there is bark ripped off the tree above where my bike hit where my knee hit it after flying over my bars.
    all this is to say that by the time i got around to inspecting my bike...it's perfect!!! no dents, no scratches, nothing loose, nothing out of place. it is not bling, but it won my confidence and appreciation in a split second by going to war with a tree on my behalf, and although the tree is still standing, the surly certainly held its own.

mtbr member

The Cool thing about the 1x1...

is you can beat it to death without a care! The 1x1 has a durable and forgiving ride for a great price. This said, it ain't no 853 bike....My old Jamis Dragon felt snappier and quicker, but I don't think the Dragon was going to out last the 1x1 or take the same level of beating.

MC

"The Dude abides."

Thanks

well, thank you all for your input, i am definately considering a future 1x1 but for now i have some new prestige chainstays lined up to replace the old ones. I would love to get the surly but being a minor my choices must pass the counsel of my parents, and they hate to see me spend money as fast as i have been after i started mountain biking. Its the only drug that takes your money and improves your physical condition. Once again thanks for your help.
    Sam