Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    King Pin

Hope Surly steamers/scorchers?

Needed another frame to replace my aging "nice steel lugged road frame fixie", so bucked up and ordered up a Steamroller frameset in "charcoal metallic", which will arrive Monday.

Any experience with this partikuler Surly? She'll obviously be fixed, running a ratio of 45/18 with DuraAce crank, ravaged from my current setup. Black on black on black, etc. Theme is "black".

Handlebars.....hmmmm....choice of standard drops/Mary/Midge or Mooostache. Opinions? Big tires, up to 38mm that would suffice for commuting AND the occasional (well......daily) fireroad section?

Anyone have a long-reach roadie front brake in black collecting dust?

Could certainly use a BLACK 27.2mm seatpost and BLACK stem 120mm or so as well.

Attempting to build the blackest (on black) fixie commuter/fireroad hauler/urban assault roadie.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    You have a black Dura Ace crankset? How lucky are you!

King Pin

... and if we just ... Harrrummmph.....azzhat....clears throat.

Desmond,

Of course I DON'T have a freakin' DA crankset in purty black, but will soon.....powdercoat majic ya know. The cat is still in the bag my friend.

Do you have anything positive to add to my post? A blacky stem and seatpost perchance? Twenty seven point two por favor.

Someday, one day......I'll visit my sis in Baaaaston, then I'm cruizin' up el norte to give you the spankin' you deserve.....and long for.

I've SO much trading fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    You have a black Dura Ace crankset? How lucky are you!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I might have a stem for you. I gotta go look see.

King Pin
    I might have a stem for you. I gotta go look see.

And I have a super nice Rhynolite/Surly wheelset for you. Go dig out some old crap and we'll do some tradin'.

Should we take this to PM? Naaaahhh.

Que diez postage mas??.....dos gotas en el ojo afectado, tres veces al dia.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Big tires, up to 38mm that would suffice for commuting AND the occasional (well......daily) fireroad section?
    Big fan of Conti Twister Pro's in 38. Low tread in the middle with biggish classic conti knobs on the sides. Corners well, doesn't clog with mud, and is fairly quick on the road (esp at a high psi). Caveat, they do not hold up to rocks well at all, and have supple sidewalls and are thus not very pinch proof.

I run 'stache's on my commuter/cross/roadie/mcguyver bike. They're very versatile. Used 'em on RAGBRAI last year and was wishing for drops during the longer, flater days. I'd love an excuse to try midges.

try driving your car less
    I have seen the charcoal metallic on a friend's surly and it's sweet as sugar.

I am also running the 'vintage lugged' fixee and sometimes ponder at what a steaming heap of surly steel would do for me.

i have bullhorns and frankly i dont like them. great for climbing, but not great for cruising or downhill. i think that's why they are usually for aero bars for TT riders, etc.

I really want to try the following: old narrow flat mtb bars with some cushy bar ends. i would also like to try some 'stache bars but they are freaking expensive.

i will probably end up back on some old cheap drop bars.

for the brake caliper, shizzymano 105s are black and cheap... just like... um... coffee! tektro has something for you, as well.
    Only boring people get bored.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    i would also like to try some 'stache bars but they are freaking expensive.
    No, they ain't. Just wrap them all the way to the stem like I do.

try driving your car less
    No, they ain't. Just wrap them all the way to the stem like I do.
    I was talking about the nitto ones.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    jh -

if you wanna try the crashbar ones, i got a set i am not using...

Am I getting too bulky?
    I've been riding a Steamroller for about 2 years. It's a great ride. Right now I've got the Michelin 25mm Carbons, but also have a set of 37mm Ritchey Speedmax that are terrific tires for your stated purpose. I've kept up with the fast group on roadie rides with the cross tires, and they work great in gravel and on wet cobbles too. Very little clearance with the Ritcheys in the brakes though, so when pebbles get picked up they jam between the tire and the brake and make a buzzing noise till they work free. My next set will be 34mm, but Speedmax none the less. For what it's worth, I dig drop bars and havbe a set of Bontrager race bars on the bike. I like riding in the drops when it gets windy, and climbing in the drops is also sometimes preferred.

Front clearance with an Ultegra brake.

Rear clearance with an Ultegra brake.

Seat tube clearance, which obviously depends on the gear combo and chain length, but ...
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've been quite happy with the Nashbar moustaches on my fixie commuter, but I'd also like to try the Midges. The Nashbar moustaches are a little different shape than the Nitto's but not necessarily worse.
    Craig

34N 118W

bars

Handlebars.....hmmmm....choice of standard drops/Mary/Midge or Mooostache. Opinions?
    I ran the Nitto M'stash bars on my fixed Cross Check for a while. Great for short rides/errands but not so hot for long rides IMO. I swapped them out for some WTB dirt drops for a century and prefer them much more. Hoods are good. For black I'd go Midge.

hw

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I've never ridden great distances with my moustache bars. I have done lengthy rides with the Midge bars and they are lovely. Plenty of places to put the hands, you lot well know. The weekend after next, I'll be doing the NYC 5 Boro ride with a bike sporting moustache bars. Pretty much one hand position, 42 miles. Hope I hold up.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I really want to try the following: old narrow flat mtb bars with some cushy bar ends. i would also like to try some 'stache bars but they are freaking expensive.
    I have done both, and kinda like both for different reasons. I have a set of the Nittos right now and love them, double wrapped, that is. I have used them on the trails/fire roads for 10 - 20 milers, and on the road for up to 40 mile rides. I never really did like riding down in drops, although I kinda miss the hood position. The flat bar/barend combo is cool too, felt like my old mtb days with a 22 in wide bar with short ends (onzas). They were decent for commuting, nice and twitchy in traffic.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

Steamroller

brakes and bars

Tektro 521AFB are working swell on the front of my fixie, black, cheap, long reach, good quality and they stop. I paired the caliper with a Cane Creek cross style top lever for an all black and minimilist system that works well.

On bars, have you considered flipped Marys with some cork tape or black cork grips and tape like jones bars can come with? If you need a caliper let me know and I can get you a deal on one. Here's a pic of my brake set-up on the road fixie.

Oh Matt.....I passed through your town last Thursday, even spent the night. I was a bit irritated to realize that I had forgotten to try to set up a meeting with you for a meal or a beer. As it turns out both my wife and son got hit by the flu that afternoon, so it's just as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mattman; 04-28-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

if'n your friendly neighborhood lbs

orders from Olympic supply, they have a cheap version as well. They're aluminum and should retail under $30, but I don't remember. Sorry, no part number.
    YO MAMA

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Would have loved to meet you Matt!

And yes, I have considered, and may go with the flipped Mary. Black cork tape. She's in contention, as a have five Mary's now....one extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Tektro 521AFB are working swell on the front of my fixie, black, cheap, long reach, good quality and they stop. I paired the caliper with a Cane Creek cross style top lever for an all black and minimilist system that works well.

On bars, have you considered flipped Marys with some cork tape or black cork grips and tape like jones bars can come with? If you need a caliper let me know and I can get you a deal on one. Here's a pic of my brake set-up on the road fixie.

Oh Matt.....I passed through your town last Thursday, even spent the night. I was a bit irritated to realize that I had forgotten to try to set up a meeting with you for a meal or a beer. As it turns out both my wife and son got hit by the flu that afternoon, so it's just as well.

mtbr member

Here ya go

Great frame, you'll totally love it. The charcoal Steamroller is perfect for the neuvo retro path racer look. My bars are Mungos, and once I got the brake lever where I liked it, they have been great. Brooks leather bar tape: expensive, but worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="3"]"America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Matt,

Your Surly sounds a bit like the do all bike I am building right now, but I'm having trouble deciding on bars. Anyone have experience with a Jones on long road/fireroad rides? I called JJ about making me a 55 degree H-bar but he said he was too busy. All the guys around these parts run Midges or Moustache bars on Crosschecks, etc. I kind of like the idea of running a hydro disc in the front, though. I still have a couple of months to ponder...

King Pin
    Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    Matt,

Your Surly sounds a bit like the do all bike I am building right now, but I'm having trouble deciding on bars. Anyone have experience with a Jones on long road/fireroad rides? I called JJ about making me a 55 degree H-bar but he said he was too busy. All the guys around these parts run Midges or Moustache bars on Crosschecks, etc. I kind of like the idea of running a hydro disc in the front, though. I still have a couple of months to ponder...

My favorite "look" so far would go the JoeSausageHead and his Mungo equipped bike. I'm very used to running Mary's and/or mustache bars, and have also had good luck with the Midge/WTB.

The Jone's, although super nice (!) is beyond my budget at this time. But, the Jones bar/Mary is nearly PERFECT (IMO) for those "long road/fireroad rides"! I'm lovin' Mary on all my other bikes.....she'll probably get the nod for my "do it all" Surly steamer.

Just ordered up four Ritchey Speedmax 35mm's last evening. Fast and fat.

mtbr member
    My favorite "look" so far would go the JoeSausageHead and his Mungo equipped bike.
    I'm lovin' Mary on all my other bikes.....she'll probably get the nod for my "do it all" Surly steamer.
    Thanks! I run a Mary on my singlespeed mountain bike and love that as well. Just remember that the stem clamp diameter is different for the Mary than it is for the Mungo or other "road" bars.
    [SIZE="3"]"America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."[/SIZE]

King Pin
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sausagehead
    Thanks! I run a Mary on my singlespeed mountain bike and love that as well. Just remember that the stem clamp diameter is different for the Mary than it is for the Mungo or other "road" bars.

That's Ed Zachary why we drink beer from aluminium cans. Shimmage.

mtbr member
    That's Ed Zachary why we drink beer from aluminium cans. Shimmage.
    Might this shimmage also work for mountain brake levers on road-diameter bars?

King Pin

Wink

IMHO, shimming bars and levers and stuff ~works~, but isn't always the "safest" way to go. Brake lever would obviously be much safer than shimming handleybars though.

Quote Originally Posted by AteMrYeats
    Might this shimmage also work for mountain brake levers on road-diameter bars?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast