Thread: Surly hubs

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004

Surly hubs

What makes Surly hubs so seemingly MUCH cheaper than virtually all others?

For a conversion of a bike to a 29er I am considering them as the basis for a wheelset (for obvious cost reasons). However, I can't help but wonder why they are so much cheaper.

Are they much heavier? Is there quality noticeably less? etc...

Thanks in advance!

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    heavy, yes. quality, yes. recommended, yes.

unless you're a total weight weenie surly hubs are great. well made, stout, rebuildable, what's not to like?
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member

well made, stout, and rebuildable

all of the above...coming to you courtesy of the chinese...which is why they're cheaper, phil, king, white industries (i believe?) are made in the u.s., so you pay a little more to pay those folks a little more.
    "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven"

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trial-sin
    all of the above...coming to you courtesy of the chinese...which is why they're cheaper, phil, king, white industries (i believe?) are made in the u.s., so you pay a little more to pay those folks a little more.
    thanks guys....

Phil Wood are the best and would love to have em but this bike has to be on the cheap......or at least that is what I am trying to tell myself

Hey Brent, how about some purple Phil Wood disc hubs That may swing it for me since I may just get the rig and part out a few things and that would be sweet!! Otherwise, I may try to get a hold of a pair of purple Surly hubs...

Cheers

hands up who wants to die
    the Surly hubs are made in China or Taiwan? big diff.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
    my mtb videos: http://vimeo.com/album/6861

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    thanks guys....

Phil Wood are the best and would love to have em but this bike has to be on the cheap......or at least that is what I am trying to tell myself

Hey Brent, how about some purple Phil Wood disc hubs That may swing it for me since I may just get the rig and part out a few things and that would be sweet!! Otherwise, I may try to get a hold of a pair of purple Surly hubs...

Cheers
    One of the Pissoffs has purple PW hubs. If you want lighter purple hubs for a little more money, Hope still makes all of their hubs in purple. It is a more dull purple though, not like 3DV which is the best. Ive got purple king hubs and headsets and some purple hope parts and they are slightly off.
    Herro prease

Faster Than Your TV!

Pretty sure they're made in Taiwan...

Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    the Surly hubs are made in China or Taiwan? big diff.
    Smooth, strong, nice finishing, and yeah, on the heavy side. Good choice if you're on a budget.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    Smooth, strong, nice finishing, and yeah, on the heavy side. Good choice if you're on a budget.
    Thanks for the input.

However, I have since changed my mind about getting a 29er after a couple more rides out here where acceleration is the primary parameter I want to focus on......and my "guess" is that a 29er, while able to roll over stuff better, is not the right choice for me. I am incredibly happy with the 26" bikes i have had/have and am a decent technical rider so the benefit of the 29 is outweighed those parameters I want to focus on "for my riding".

Having said that, I still have the Surly to deal with.....as such, i just bought a vintage Raleigh Titanium John Tomac frame which will be using some of the surly parts and/or money I get from selling off the Surly parts. The wheelset I am now looking at is one that will have an ENO eccentric as the rear hub since I do not want to use a tensioner.....and the surly rigid I already have will serve as the fork. this will actually end up being a cheaper project than the 29er anyway.

cheers and thanks again

mtbr member

not sure how to link it but...

i'd found this a couple weeks ago during a surly search...http://www.china-sources.com/product...facturers.html

granted, i didn't read through all of the manufacturers, but maxway cycles does have surly listed as a buyer for some of their frames
    so basically an assumption was made and if it was incorrect, then of course i apologize, but i'll still keep it local
    "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven"

mtbr member
    Wow, shizzy. You really do have a chronic case of BBS (Bike Building/buying Syndrome).

Jim <--- gathering parts for a Ti SS or a 29er, haven't decided which yet...

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    Wow, shizzy. You really do have a chronic case of BBS (Bike Building/buying Syndrome).

Jim <--- gathering parts for a Ti SS or a 29er, haven't decided which yet...
    Do yourself a favor....do not ask me for advice....you will end up spending WAY MORE than you need to

Actually, based on my highly sophisticated mathematical model, this new Ti SS project will only cost me out of pocket $750 or so based on what i plan to put on it and what I think I can get for the Surly stuff that I do not swap over. By my standards unfortunately, $750 is as cheap as project will ever get for me

No Justice = No Peace

As for 26/29 inch wheels

I made a similar decision to stay with 26, partly because I have so damned much good stuff to build a bike with. I ride my Bontrager and I just feel like my ass is at home. More comfy than a doublewide barco lounger with magic fingers.....

So here is the sick part. I love riding single speed. I mean really love it, and I need it to get back in shape this summer. What I am doing now is setting up my other geared bike - A merlin Fat Beat Soft Tail - with one beautiful titanium gear. Whichever bike works better stays in the house, the other must go. (one gear, one bike, one hook on the wall.)

If everything seems less than perfect, I am also considering selling both and buying a custom steel 26 inch Single Speed frame and fork. By my careful mathematical formula, I can do this for about 600 dollars. When a person more closely connected to reality calibrates my numbers, the price for the new bike frame which I will inevitably buy next fall will be around $2,500.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    the price for the new bike frame which I will inevitably buy next fall will be around $2,500.
    i am very familiar with the "measurement error" you are referring to

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    To paraphrase Professor Northcote Parkinson (Parkinson's Law):

Bike expenditure expands to use all the money available
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by datako
    To paraphrase Professor Northcote Parkinson (Parkinson's Law):

Bike expenditure expands to use all the money available
    FoShizzle-modifed Parkinshizzle's law = "Bike expenditure expands to use all the money available plus any credit available and whatever you can sell any existing bike stuff for"

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    FoShizzle-modifed Parkinshizzle's law = "Bike expenditure expands to use all the money available plus any credit available and whatever you can sell any existing bike stuff for"
    You know what would be funny.... to get a wife's response thread going where we all ask our significant other's to write a paragraph and give their true feelings about our spending, collecting, and passion about bikes. No input from the guilty(us) of course would make it better. I bet it would be pretty funny, and might even result in the addition of a Support Group Forum for spouses

Jan 2004
    FUNNY? I think NOT

No Justice = No Peace

???

Would we have to tell them the truth before we let them write the paragraph about our spending?

(FS, Did you sell your Tomac Frame to Rumpfy?)
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."