(was) Big in Japan

Surly fork question

I cant decide if I need a 1x1 fork, or the Instigator fork. I was running a Tange fork - A to C 394mm, but it was too low. My frame originally had a 90mm fork on it, and currently has a 100mm fork, and still has a sensible HA.

So I need suspension corrected fork, but which one? Will the 1x1 be tall enough? It is lighter. Would the Instigator be too tall?

I dont have easy access to any other rigid fork, so they are the only two I can really consider. I want to run a FAT tyre too (2.6 inch or so)

Thanks!
    Ride.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Not that I am the expert on forks but I would go with the Instigator fork. From what I have read, it is corrected for 100mm vs the 1x1 which is corrected for only 80mm,

(was) Big in Japan

we meet again!

I had this bike with a 70mm Judy once upon a time - was OK. I wonder if the 20mm on the 1x1 is enough.

The bike rode well with the Tange fork, I just had A LOT of trouble lifting the front end.
    Ride.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    What frame?

I also have 1 of those useless Tange forks... and an Instigator on my P.1
    I bet a 1x1 fork will work for you... unless this is for that Specialized HT Expert... then get an Instigator.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    I cant decide if I need a 1x1 fork, or the Instigator fork. I was running a Tange fork - A to C 394mm, but it was too low. My frame originally had a 90mm fork on it, and currently has a 100mm fork, and still has a sensible HA.

So I need suspension corrected fork, but which one? Will the 1x1 be tall enough? It is lighter. Would the Instigator be too tall?

I dont have easy access to any other rigid fork, so they are the only two I can really consider. I want to run a FAT tyre too (2.6 inch or so)

Thanks!
    Last edited by c0jones; 12-22-2004 at 04:11 AM.

(was) Big in Japan

1999 Wheeler 5900zx

Quote Originally Posted by c0jones
    What frame?

I also have 1 of those useless Tange forks... and an Instigator on my P.1
    I bet a 1x1 fork will work for you... unless this is for that Specialized HT Expert... then get an Instigator.
    It just wont die! Its still, of course, but, hey, I just consider it a better workout. It originally came with a cheapo Zokes 90mm fork. Can the extra 20mm make that much of a difference?
    Ride.

brother on a mission
    It just wont die! Its still, of course, but, hey, I just consider it a better workout. It originally came with a cheapo Zokes 90mm fork. Can the extra 20mm make that much of a difference?
    Measure the axel to crown distance on your current fork, and try to match your new fork to those measurements. ON the FAQ section of the site there is a good chart on manufacturers' axel to crown heights.

I have a Trek 930 frame that I rebuilt with a 100 mm RS Judy XC fork (not the best, but it was the right $). The suspension fork has an axel to crown height af about 18.25", and the old rigid fork had a axel to crown height of about 16" (measured with my very accurate off brand steel tape). The bike now descends great, but I think the rake effects the way the bike climbs (comparing it to my rigid SS).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!
    Some points:

Surly 1x1 takes a FAT tire up to about 2.7". Don't trust tire manufacturer specs though. My 2.7" Maxxis Mobster is really 2.5". See www.mtbtires.com

Measure the axel to crown distence of your 100mm fork when it is sagged - that is, when you are on the bike. This is the measurment to compare to rigid fork axel to crown distance.

A really fat tire will result in a larger wheel diameter so take that into account. FAT tires are also tall tires - that is, the distance from the rim to the tread is greater than for 2.1" tires. Example - my Maxxis Mobster results in a wheel diameter of 27", not 26".
    My example - going from 80mm fork and 2.1" tire to Surly 1x1 fork and 2.7" tire resulted in the same head angle

For any fork plus wheel combination the calculation to compare is:
    (axel-to-crown of fork) + (radius of wheel)

for suspension fork, axel-to-crown is when fork is sagged (compressed) by rider weight
    radius of wheel is for a given wheel plus tire combination, from axel to tire tread.

(was) Big in Japan

Thanks all! and happy holidays!

I'm off to the airport soon to go home for the holidays, so I will think about this again in two weeks.

Merry Xmas, and a happy new year to ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ride.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    I've never heard of it, but 1999 sounds like a 1x1 fork would be best... costs half as much as an Instigator too.

Yes, an extra 20mm makes a difference.