Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    853+29+1x24=Fun

Surly Fixed Gear Disc Hub

This been posted yet?

mtbr member
    Ummm.... I'm not real bright, can someone enlighten me as to "why"? I don't get it... is this scheduled for April 1 release?

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Nice. I still like using disc mount cogs though. I can't imagine that a disc disc hub would be very popular though.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Ummm.... I'm not real bright, can someone enlighten me as to "why"? I don't get it... is this scheduled for April 1 release?
    I guess for guys that want to run front and rear disc on a fixie. I could see it being nice if you ride very hilly stuff. Might be nice having that back brake on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Ummm.... I'm not real bright, can someone enlighten me as to "why"?
    HeeHee

pugpugpugpugpugpugpugpugpugpugpugpugpug

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you ride a single speed with disc brakes but want to switch back and forth to fixed gear, this is the hub for you. Build up a new wheel with this hub and swap back and forth whenever you want. Otherwise, if you were to have a 2nd wheel with a flip flop/hub, then what happens to the rear brake? You either remove it or you run the very high risk of grabbing a nonexistant brake and jamming the caliper when it doesn't have a rotor to squeeze. And although I have yet to try fixed gear offroad (but might now that this hub exists), I think the guys at 63xc.com recommended having a rear brake although I don't remember the reason why.

Harrumph
    I'd buy this hub in a second for the "front" hub of my Pugsley. A nice Disc hub and a fixed cog, would make for a solid backup on the Pug. The only other way for a fixed/disc rear hub I know of is $Phil Wood$, which might still be an option depending on how much surly charges for their hub.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    this product looks great, the phil is boku bucks, and IMO they are asking a little high for what it is. I can not wait til spring to buy this hub and I already emailed Aaron at Surly to see about getting one sooner. But alas, I bought a XT/WTB rear wheel and the Surly Fixxer. So hopefully I'll have fixed mtn with disc frt and rear by thursday.

I have not messed with a Surly Fixxer but it looks self explanatory, Has anyone here used one? reviews???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    I'd buy this hub in a second for the "front" hub of my Pugsley. A nice Disc hub and a fixed cog, would make for a solid backup on the Pug. The only other way for a fixed/disc rear hub I know of is $Phil Wood$, which might still be an option depending on how much surly charges for their hub.
    do you have pics of this pugsley? I have not seen one other then the surly site and doesnt do it justice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    AWESOME! I'm going to have to unlace my rear Surly flip flop and put one of these on.

mtbr member
    Of course, you can also still thread a freewheel on there, so it's a more versatile hub than the SS hub. If I was building a disc equipped SS or fixed, I'd use a hub like this.

although I also think someone should do a disc/disc hub.

One Colorful Rider
    I'll Show you Mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes Normbit, you have a fixed gear... and it is brakeless, and also does not have disc tabs... how is this relevant?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is a pretty great idea, I think I would like to build one up as a spare wheel to take out everyonce ina while. Since its a surly it should be fairly inexpensive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel

I have not messed with a Surly Fixxer but it looks self explanatory, Has anyone here used one? reviews???

I have been using a fixxer on my Spinergy Rev-X road fixxie for 4 years with no problems, great product, alo have one on my Spinergy Spox MTN wheel with a white ind freewheel since 2003

Both rock solid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    Nice. I still like using disc mount cogs though. I can't imagine that a disc disc hub would be very popular though.

ive been thinking the same thing for years! wouldnt that be the funniest looking hub?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    I'd buy this hub in a second for the "front" hub of my Pugsley. A nice Disc hub and a fixed cog, would make for a solid backup on the Pug.

HERES THE HOT TICKET ON A PUG.

setup your pug as a 1x9, with a fixed/disk front wheel to swap.

now on your chain use TWO powerlinks, with the 2nd one at the exact length to shorten the chain to SS/fixed. now you can swap between 9speed and Fixed gear with NO TOOLS! (unless your using bolt on hubs,then just axle nuts.)

a friend did it on his amazing pug build, works awesome.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    HERES THE HOT TICKET ON A PUG.

setup your pug as a 1x9, with a fixed/disk front wheel to swap.

now on your chain use TWO powerlinks, with the 2nd one at the exact length to shorten the chain to SS/fixed. now you can swap between 9speed and Fixed gear with NO TOOLS! (unless your using bolt on hubs,then just axle nuts.)

a friend did it on his amazing pug build, works awesome.
    That's the plan. Here's the pug in "instant gratification mode," I'm still waiting for lots of parts. It might see it's first Snow here pretty quick. My pic doesn't do it justice either, the only thing worse at taking pictures than me is my camera.
    Last edited by G-reg; 10-11-2008 at 07:35 AM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I want this Surly fixed hub for fixed gear disc applications. The likely target will be a Vassago Fisticuff cross bike. Maybe a Surly 1x1 with 700c wheels.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Yes, for MtFix you need a rear brake. Disk brakes are easier to adjust with the chain tension (IMHO)

This is a flip/flop with a BMX rotor adapter (which required machining to work). I am tooling up to machine lockring threads into a SS/disc hub currently (because if you really need that back brake to keep you from rolling back down a hill the adapter will unscrew DAMHIK)

If this hub was available right now, I would buy one right now. In the meantime, machining proceeds - with one eye open for this hub.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is that a 29r wheel on a 1X1?

Brass Nipples!

Hey, I should get some credit for this...

I asked the Surly crew at Interbike for this 3 years ago. I'll gladly accept a free hub as payment for giving them the idea!

Here's what I did for a limp-home solution to a fixed front Pugsley:

Pugsley Fixie Front Solution.

It actually feels very solid, but I haven't put many miles on it.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    I guess for guys that want to run front and rear disc on a fixie. I could see it being nice if you ride very hilly stuff. Might be nice having that back brake on there.
    Exactly. A rear brake will give you more control on steep downhills and chunky rock descents. It also will save your legs for doing longer rides on a fixed mtb. I have a wheel with disc rotor and freewheel, and this one with a bolt on TomiCog and the cassette SS side.

I can go to the cassette side to get home, with thrashed hams that fixed can give you, if needed, but without a rear brake.

I had a V-brake rear for some time, but one wheel has a 22mm rims and the one pictured as a 40mm rim. Finally, Surly will make me a happy boy with that hub! It was mentioned in this recent thread.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    Yes, for MtFix you need a rear brake.
    well, i wouldn't say "need" as plenty of peoples ride mtn scorchers zippity fast through the gnar-gnar and/or very long rides completely sans rear brake.

rather than "need a rear brake" i would suggest it's more a matter of preference/skill/conditioning; with the latter two weighing heavily on the choice.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast