mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Surly/DMR Owners. Question.

I have a chain tensioner that came with a pretty standard spring loaded tensioner. It's nice, does the job, but I'm curious about something. The jockey wheel is slightly offset from the actual cog's alignment. Granted, the chain stays on, no skipping, no derailment, etc, but I found out this is because the black arm that attaches to the silver bolt at the top is not evenly sized up. It seems as if the silver bolt could be a fraction of a milimeter thicker to fit the black arm better. As a result, since the spring is pulling the tensioner on the one side, it sits semi offset.

Here's a picture so you can match up what I explained above with the picture.
    http://www.getprice.com.au/images/up...-tensioner.jpg

I'm just curious of Surly or DMR Tension Seeker 2 owners could attest to this. I'm curious if on that tensioner if there is ANY play between the arm and the bolt that mounts to the hanger. I'm just trying to find a spring loaded tensioner who's parts are sized up between piece to piece that the tensioner is made of so I can get a jockey wheel as centered over the cog as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    See that bolt on the end, where the jockey wheel is? That'll allow you to slide the jockey wheel left or right, to line up with your cog. Is that what problem you're having?

As for the play in your tensioner, I had the same one (branded as Pyramid) and I converted it to bolt on without a spring tensioner (like the DMR STS or Rennen Rollen...). There should be a clip on the hanger-side of the bolt. Remove it and you can take the inards out of the body of the tensioner. I simply removed the spring and the part it attaches to (the silver piece that fits against the hanger) and added a couple of washers to make up the difference in thickness (so the bolt wouldn't bottom out on the hanger). Wrench that sucker down tight (in push-up mode) and you shouldn't have any issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ehh, I wasn't a big fan of fixed tensioners. I mean I was at first but, if I bottom out on anything, such as me walking the bike and the bottom of the chain hits a tall tree root or a rock and puts pressure on the bottom of the chain and pushes upwards, it'll be enough to move the tensioner out of place, giving more slack to the chain. And yes, I had the ever loving **** torqued out of those bolts and I still ran into an issue where it would move under pressure from obstacles. Since then I just decided to stick with spring loaded ones.

My question wasn't in regards to the jockey wheel side. It was to the top... the bolt that latches onto the hanger. I was questioning about the "play" between the arm (black section) and the tight-on bolt to the hanger (silver bolt at the top on the pic).

bikexor
    So it wiggles at the hanger? Are you saying the hanger bolt is too long or too narrow? It the bolt is too long and it bottoms out (feels all the way tight) before the tensioner is tight, just throw a washer in between. Where the tensioner and hanger meet shouldn't be a spot that rotates (that axle is built into the tensioner) so you could probably use a lock washer (either knurled or split style)

I have a Singleator, the newer style with flanges on either side of the tension pulley and it doesn't wiggle a bit. I also keep two cogs on the rear so I switch between urban and offroad ratios using that horizontal pulley adjustment screw. I specifically avoided the cheaper tensioners that didn't offer this option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    No... look at the picture... you have the black arm. Attached to the black arm is the silver bolt at the top. That is what screws into the hanger to secure it. The silver part seems to be a hair "too thin" and has some wiggle room. Seeing as though I have to have the jockey wheel the entire way outstretched to be lined up with my chain, a tiny bit of play there results in an obviously cockeyed jockey wheel on the chain.

But more importantly to me, is there any way I can make this tensioner quieter? I was loving the lack of noise from my fixed tensioner, but this spring one drives me insane. It's older than my old derailleur on my 5 year old Giant that hasn't had oil on the chain in the last 2 years.

human dehumidifier
    Seems like I remember an o-ring around the bolt in my DMR tensioner, which would make it fit the arm tighter. I can't take it off to check it out because the hex in the attaching bolt rounded out. Well, I could take it off, but I'd have to cut it off, so I'm waiting until I *must* take it off to do that.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone