wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012

Surly chainrings

are they 1/8 or 3/32?
    I have a 36t*104 ring, paired with a 14t cog (this one is 3/32) and a sram pc1 chain.
    Occasionally I hear cracking noises so I'm trying to understand where it's coming from.
    chain tension is OK, so is chainline..
    if, as I suspect, the rings are 3/32, then I'll probably ditch the chain for a new one.
    call me paranoid, but I don't want to break a chain while off the saddle on a climb...

thanks!

mtbr member
    those rings should be 3/32" but a 1/8" should not cause problems like that. how many miles are on that chain? what kind of cog are you using? 36/14 is a STEEP gear. are you riding that off-road?

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    surly cogs. how many miles on that chain... let me think. 4-500?

and no, 36*14 is just for commuting/road. As soon as I put on mtb tires I will switch to a 34*18 or even 20!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    im not using surly rings but do here the same cracking in my chain sometimes.......i think its the tensioner but havent had time to change it.
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I believe you can get Surly cogs and rings in either 1/8 or 3/32. But chain/chainring/cog size shouldn't be an issue -- I have a 3/32" cog and chainring with a 1/8" chain and it works just fine.

When do these cracking sounds occur? Where does it sound like they're emanating from? How often do they occur? Noises on a bike are incredibly hard to pinpoint because the frame and all other hollow parts tend to act as amplifiers.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    thanks for your reply. the cracking sounds started when I changed my drivetrain (new cogs, rings and chain) and occur when I start pedaling again after some coasting. I am fairly certain that it's the drivetrain as they were more common before I tensioned the chain a bit.

just to clarify: chainline is OK, so is tension, and I cleaned/lubed recently.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BuntyMan View Post
    thanks for your reply. the cracking sounds started when I changed my drivetrain (new cogs, rings and chain) and occur when I start pedaling again after some coasting. I am fairly certain that it's the drivetrain as they were more common before I tensioned the chain a bit.

just to clarify: chainline is OK, so is tension, and I cleaned/lubed recently.
    I've run Surly 32T chainring and 20 cog with KMC K810SL-CP KMC USA 1/2x3/32" chain, never any noise.

I grease my chainring bolts and tighten nice and tight.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What hubs are you using? I had hope pros and I kept getting a cracking sound which i thought was my chain but turned out to be 2 cracked pawl springs which was an easy fix.

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    oh bollox..... yes, hope pro2 singlespeed.....
    might be an easy fix, but not exactly "cheap" I fear.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Re: Surly chainrings

Its cost me like 7bucks. If you call hopes us distribution they can send you the parts. The fix is simple too. Pull the end cap and the free hub pulls right off. Took me a few minutes to fix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    that's inspirational. thank you I shall have a look at some stage this coming weekend, hopefully! thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sorry didnt realize you were in the UK. You should have a lot easier time than I did finding parts. Its really easy. basically 2 more steps than changing your cog.

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    yeah I googled a bit and it looks like it's doable... at least inspecting it to check if everything is OK.
    Thank you so much for the suggestion!

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    What hubs are you using? I had hope pros and I kept getting a cracking sound which i thought was my chain but turned out to be 2 cracked pawl springs which was an easy fix.
    you have a beer on me.
    I managed to open the hub, and as you predicted I had not one, not two, but three pawl springs missing!
    Ordered the parts..... thanks for the hint, could have been a bad day on the road!