holy schfincter..

Listen! Surly 1x1 vs. Voodoo Wanga One

Will be building up a SS soon w/ discs. I know there are a lot of surly users out there but I'm curious to see how you guys like the Horiz dropouts vs. the adj. vertical on the voodoo. Any input appreciated..

Obi
    mtbr member

Wink Visit the Surly forum!!

Surly. Properly set up disc brakes will allow no problems to occur.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Voodoo is a much nicer bike. Sliding dropouts make it much easier to remove the rear wheel than horizontal dropouts if you run disc brakes. There is some potential for slippage though - I had a Voodoo Dambala and the left side slipped sometimes. Star washers help. My friend has a Wanga and he has never had a problem with slippage. Anyway, Surlys are great bikes (I have a Crosscheck and a Steamroller) but the Voodoo is better.

holy schfincter..
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Surly. Properly set up disc brakes will allow no problems to occur.
    Can you use QRs on the surly, or just bolton hubs? As long as you dont have to readjust the caliper when the wheel is removed thats fine w/ me. Do you need any other adapters, etc than what comes with that frame?
    I know the voodoo is about 3/4 lb lighter (reynolds steel) which is nice, but the surly may fit my budget better, well see..

Who are the brain police?
    My Surly 1X1 has QRs & Hayes hyros. No issues w/ removing the wheel, no need to readjust the caliper.

I use the Surly tugnuts just in case to avoid wheel issues w/ the QRs.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    I'm way too hard on my bikes to deal with sliding dropouts. I would definitely break them. Yes, I know many of you think they are very strong, but most of you don't do drops and stuff on your singlespeeds. My SURLY is awesome and I don't worry about breaking stuff. If you have an aversion to tinkering with your bike, you may want the Voodoo just because the sliding dropouts make wheel changes easier. I used to ride the Voodoo Nzumbi and really loved the geometry on that bike, but that was before they started using the sliding dropouts.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRider
    Can you use QRs on the surly, or just bolton hubs? As long as you dont have to readjust the caliper when the wheel is removed thats fine w/ me. Do you need any other adapters, etc than what comes with that frame?
    I know the voodoo is about 3/4 lb lighter (reynolds steel) which is nice, but the surly may fit my budget better, well see..
    You can use QRs, but you may have some wheel slippage problems and need some chain tugs -which will cost you 10 bucks if you go with BMX type ones. And you may need to reposition the caliper every time you remove the wheel. Some gear/caliper/rotor combinations may allow you to remove the wheel without having to adjust the caliper, some may not. If you do have to "adjust" the caliper, all it will involve is to loosen two 5mm Hex bolts and rotate the caliper out of the way, rotate back in place when you are done. Trust me, it ain't the end of the world.

The Voodoo is got fancier tubing, I guess, but from their site, I don't think it is Reynolds and if weight is an issue, Surly wouldn't be the first place I look at. The Surly will likely have more tire clearance -well, scratch that, the Surly will have more tire clearance. You can fit a 3 incher on the Surly. If you think you may want to ever run gears on it, the Voodoo can run both... The other big difference I see is that the Voodoo is designed around a 100mm fork and the Surly is designed around an 80mm fork.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde