mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Surly 1x1 Vs Soma Analog

So it's time to replace my beloved DMR trailstar Mk3.... living in Nelson NZ where the trails are steep the H/A is just too steep 72 with a fox van 125.

I'm looking at a Soma analog which I will run with the van to take it out to about 69 degrees,
    also looking at the Surly 1x1 which is cheaper and heavier but comes with a rigid fork which I will get an extra crown race for so I can swap forks at will.... same geo as the analog so will be 71 with rigid for and 69 with the fox.

Any body had any experience with either... good/ bad points etc...

P.s. durability is a must as I'm a hard riding 260lbs

Ovaries on the Outside
    I've had a Surly and a couple Somas (A B side, currently). You pinned the main differences between the brands, though I do like tarck dropouts a tittle bit more. Probably not enough to offset the relative lightness of the Soma.

I'm 220 and I carry a dSLR on a lot of rides, so I can't lay out the abuse you can, but I doubt either will have a problem. Contact the manufacturer if you want a more accurate guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sounds like you need a burly frame. Would something like a NS Surge, Transition TransAM, Evil Soverign work better for you? They're all AM hardtails (SS-able), which have slacker HTA and seems like a better fit for your rides. I've also contacted Chromag and they offered a Sakura SS for something like $1,099 (almost custom frame territory). Not sure of the accessibility of these frames in NZ.

The need for singlespeed
    What brakes you running? Go with the Analog if you need a rear disk. 1x1 if you fancy a V out back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    What brakes you running? Go with the Analog if you need a rear disk. 1x1 if you fancy a V out back.
    Because discs need to be re-adjusted with track ends when you change gearing or chain stretch adjustment? That's a non-issue and certainly no reason to not use discs. Ridiculous reason to go with one bike over the other.

The need for singlespeed
    Whether it's an issue or not is up to the OP. It's an issue for me, so I put it out there. The fact is that track ends work well with a Vbrake, and sliders work well with a disk. Mix them up and they don't work as well together. There's nothing ridiculous about that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You still need to adjust v brakes if you change gearing. V brake adjustments are more tedious than discs, IMO.

The need for singlespeed
    The easy work-around is to get a few quicklinks for your chain, so you can quickly change a full link for a half link. Then you swap your N tooth cog for an N+2 tooth cog and it only changes the wheel position a fraction of a millimeter--no brake adjustment necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The easy work-around is to get a few quicklinks for your chain, so you can quickly change a full link for a half link. Then you swap your N tooth cog for an N+2 tooth cog and it only changes the wheel position a fraction of a millimeter--no brake adjustment necessary.
    That's way more of a pain in the @$$ than simply re-adjusting either a disc brake or v-brake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I guess that could technically work, but like hippy said, not sure why you would go through all that trouble. Aside from that, I still don't see why discs won't work well with track ends. I've had two thus far with zero issues, and much preferred to V-brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I guess that could technically work, but like hippy said, not sure why you would go through all that trouble. Aside from that, I still don't see why discs won't work well with track ends. I've had two thus far with zero issues, and much preferred to V-brakes.
    Especially with the new 1x1 with the caliper mounts on the chainstay. You don't even have to move the caliper to get the wheel out of the track ends. Way easier than either re-adjusting v-brakes or futzing with a half link.

mtbr member
    I was debating between the 1x1 and Analog, and ended up with the Analog. Couldn't be happier.
    The bike is tons of fun. Compared to the 1x1, it's easier to take the rear wheel off/on, lighter, and I feel the details are a bit better. Besides, I love the color!

'12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    I had a 120 marz on my 1x1 and it rode likeshit. I don't know what the ht angle was, but it it didn't matter.

This is an older 1x1, not the new one. Can't speak to that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah but can the analog fit 3" gazzaloddis?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!