mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Surly 1x1 Suspension fork question

Hello,

I am in the process of building up a Surly 1x1 and plan on mainly running the rigid fork but am considering getting a suspension fork that I can swap onto it on occasion. My question is this: Are any of you running 100mm or greater forks on your 1x1s? If so how does the frame handle them?

Paintbucket
    Jan 2004
    The frame's designed around an 80mm fork. I run a Psylo with travel adjust so I can experiment from there up to about 125mm. I typically run it around 100mm. Anything more and the steering starts wandering more than I like. Your results may vary.
    Zippy for president

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin-at-home
    The frame's designed around an 80mm fork. I run a Psylo with travel adjust so I can experiment from there up to about 125mm. I typically run it around 100mm. Anything more and the steering starts wandering more than I like. Your results may vary.
    That's what I was wondering. My older Diamond Back was the same way. It was designed for about 60mm of travel, it did ok at 80mm but liked 60mm much better. Just asking because 80mm is becoming harder and harder to find on newer forks except for the newer light weight cross contry forks.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am running a 1x1 with a Fox Vanilla fork with 100 mm of travel. I have had no problems at all. It still handles very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Slight difference

I have an 18" 1X 1 and I run a 80 mm Sid Team and a 100 mm Manitou at various times.
    Steering is a bit tighter with the Sid than the Manitou but it only takes a short time to get used to.

F.w.i.w.

I ran my Surly 1X1 with a 100mm fork and didn't like it. It wasn't so much the head angle but the seat tube angle felt really slack. Personally I would lean towards an 80mm fork but your results may vary.

Here's a pic of it built up with the 100mm -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's input. Now I just need to get the bike put together. Just waiting on the front wheel. With any luck I'll have it up and running tomorrow. As soon as I do I'll post some pics.

Mark

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by madonenm
    Hello,
    I am in the process of building up a Surly 1x1 and plan on mainly running the rigid fork but am considering getting a suspension fork that I can swap onto it on occasion. My question is this: Are any of you running 100mm or greater forks on your 1x1s? If so how does the frame handle them?
    I ran a 100mm MxPro on mine. It felt a tad high. I would have preferred an 80mm for all around. Granted, the 100mm felt GREAT on the dh. My wife has a Marz Atom race 80mm on hers and the geometry and handling or spot on....