mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Surly 1x1 with Square Taper

What square taper bottom bracket length do I have to use for a surly 1x1? The chainstays are so wide even a 73/113 didn't work. I want it to clear the chainstays and give me a chainline that will work with Surly freewheel hubs(54/55ish I think?)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a 73/113 in mine and it works fine. I think the spindle length has more to do with what cranks you use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ok, thanks, but I am not sure I understand. Isn't the 113 the spindle length? I thought 73 was bottom bracket width and then 113 was the overall "spindle" length?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    73/109 will put you at 54.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Which cranks do you use? My shimano SQ are smaller at the pedal end than my race face turbine's. I roll an El mariachi (spacious enough for a 2.4 tyre) with 113 and turbine's. I still have room left.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hmmm, I tried 73/113 with a Dimension Cross Crankset and a 39t chainring was rubbing. maybe the Crankset doesn't have much offset?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What gearing are you shooting for? You could go to a smaller charinring...
    Sana Cruz 5010v2---Rigid Surly 1x1 650b---CrossCheck---Surly Pacer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was actually planning to run a 42t front with 16 rear. Its really flat here and I mostly ride it on a flat dirt path so I need a higher gear setup. So when the 39t was tight i knew a 42 definitely wouldn't fit. Is there a lot of variation in the amount of "offset" in cranks? I am looking for an all silver crank arm setup(polished), but can't afford anything like the White Industries. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Righty, the chain ring will determine the spindle length, I'm running a 36T Eno thusly the 109 is spot on, a bigger ring and I'd have to go longer. 36/17 works for me but I have to keep a 19T free wheel on hand for hillier ground.

mtbr member
    Pick up a 73/118 and you should be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox
    Righty, the chain ring will determine the spindle length, I'm running a 36T Eno thusly the 109 is spot on, a bigger ring and I'd have to go longer. 36/17 works for me but I have to keep a 19T free wheel on hand for hillier ground.

Please forgive me for not understanding and thank you for helping out!, but I don't understand how the chain ring determines the spindle length? The spindle length doesn't change whether you have a 36t, 40t, 48t, whatever size chainring, right?

The spindle length determines the chainline, right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dreed85
    Please forgive me for not understanding and thank you for helping out!, but I don't understand how the chain ring determines the spindle length? The spindle length doesn't change whether you have a 36t, 40t, 48t, whatever size chainring, right?

The spindle length determines the chainline, right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks again!
    A bigger ring could result in the ring hitting the chainstay if the spindle is not long enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    A bigger ring could result in the ring hitting the chainstay if the spindle is not long enough.
    bingo. A 1x1 is a Mtb not a road bike so the chainstays allow less room for the front chainring. With a 73/109 the chain is straight as an arrow with my Surly 135 Disc hub - but 36T is the largest I can go in front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox
    bingo. A 1x1 is a Mtb not a road bike so the chainstays allow less room for the front chainring. With a 73/109 the chain is straight as an arrow with my Surly 135 Disc hub - but 36T is the largest I can go in front.
    Ok, I see what you are saying. Here is my last confusion. Right now on the 1x1 I have a Deore XT crankset with external bottom bracket. I have the 42t chainring on it and it clears fine and has perfect chainline with my Surly 135mm Free/free hub. If you are saying your chainline is straight but can only fit a 36t that makes me think that if you spaced it out enough to fit a 42t then your chainline would be way off(to the outside).

I guess I need to just keep playing with it.

Thanks.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick
    Pick up a 73/118 and you should be good.
    zactly... Read it here--Option #3: install a 118mm spindle. In this case, all options worked quite well to correct the chainline.

link
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreed85
    Ok, I see what you are saying. Here is my last confusion. Right now on the 1x1 I have a Deore XT crankset with external bottom bracket. I have the 42t chainring on it and it clears fine and has perfect chainline with my Surly 135mm Free/free hub. If you are saying your chainline is straight but can only fit a 36t that makes me think that if you spaced it out enough to fit a 42t then your chainline would be way off(to the outside).

I guess I need to just keep playing with it.

Thanks.
    Its sounds like your cross crankset is definitely the problem. It is basically a road crankset, and road cranksets are designed to have a narrower chainline given the same spindle length.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe your crankset will have a Chainline of X with a given spindle width. Your rear hub will also have a specified chainline. If you are using a FW in the rear, you will most likely have to adjust up front (Crankset). You can use a different spindle, chainring spacers, bb spacers etc. If you have a freehub in the rear, you can adjust there. By running a bigger ring up front you add another factor to adjust for. You can probably put in the outisde (big ring) position to help that.

Check this out. It will help a lot. Lots of information. You can't determine what spindle to use without knowing the chainline of the crankset with a given spindle width.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

GP

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I got a 1x1 for year round commuting (wanted to run discs) and I needed a 125 mm spindle to use my old 172.5 mm Ultegra cranks. I found a 68mm no-name euro BB that allowed me to internally shim the cartridge on BOTH sides for required clearance and chainline. The crank arms have just over 1/8 inch clearance and the 42t ring about 2 mm. Perfect chainline with my DMR one speed disc hub. Road cranks have lower Q factors and the 1x1 is a mtb, but it works out fine. It helps that I'm a spinner not a stomper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I use a square taper BB FRM 185 mm arm lenght road crankset on my SS, which is designed for 102 -103 mm axle lenght. I'm running a 113 mm XT on a steel SS MTB frame, which has narrower chainstay width than average modern MTB frames. 111 mm would be the absolute minimum. So using a square taper road crank for MTB requires minimum 10 mm, but most often 12-15 mm longer axle.

Members who have read this thread: 0