mbtr member

Super slack seat angle for singlespeed?

So due to my proportions I've built my first frame and looking to build my second. The first one was just a geared trailbike, but i built it around a very slack seat angle and set-forward seatpost. Riding it in the setback position turned out to be a total BLAST. It makes me fearless on kickers, wallrides, and other features. It understeers horribly with a short stem that preserves my reach, though, and i don't have room to stand and mash.

So for frame #2 i was considering building a singlespeed around a DJ rear end mated to a gigantic top tube (like...640mm ETT) and steeper head angle. I'd have plenty of room to climb standing, and that super fun rear end that loves to manual and jump.

Problem is, dj bikes are always much too small for me, so i don't really know how they handle, and I've never had a singlespeed that had enough room in the cockpit to be enjoyable. So, am i on to something? Would it be fun?
    Last edited by scottzg; 08-19-2009 at 09:15 PM.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I think you are kinda on to something. For singlespeed riding I see the chainstay length and bb height as much more important for that fun feeling than the seat tube angle because:
    a) you will probably spend more time standing than sitting
    b) if you change the seattube angle it doesn't affect how the bike handles when you are standing

Not saying the seat tube angle has no affect on fit or handling, just that i don't see it as a primary factor or focal point for an SS frame. Short chainstays and a higher bb are what make it easier to get the front end up (and what makes the rider want to jump off of everything in sight, lol). As for the reach, you could even use a standard seat tube angle and compensate for the difference in stem length entirely with the top tube length. Lots of ways to do similar things, but each one will handle differently than the next. Either way, I definitely agree that cockpit room is essential on an SS to make standing and mashing work well and be enjoyable.

I think my ideal SS would have a seat tube angle on the steeper side to make any seated pedaling easier on my knees, combined with an adjustable seat post to get the saddle the heck out of my way so I can get low and back on the fun stuff