mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Super newb question on SS conversion

Im helping someone convert theyre entry level geared raleigh to a SS. Its a 26er. What exactly do i need to get it done?

The front chain rings are rivited together. Do we need a whole new BB? Chain ring? Cranks? Wheel and hub? tensioner? spacers?

What is the cheapest way to get this bike into a working SS?

I did the search but i want some straight foreward answers. Thank you in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    I suggest you spend some time reading this first http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx

that will answer most of your questions.

that riveted-together chainring setup might give you some trouble.

I have red hair
    You could essentially do it with the parts that are on there, and buy just a few cassette spacers (generally pretty inexspensive). You'd have to take the cassette apart, choose a cog to use, and then put the spacers on either side to align the chain with whatever chainring you wish to use. Then use the rear derailleur to keep tension on the chain (or buy a $20 tensioner, which would probably work a little better), and remove the front derailleur. If you want to get really fancy, you can remove the other chainrings, or get a new crank, but it's not completely necessary, the chain should stay put.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen
    You could essentially do it with the parts that are on there, and buy just a few cassette spacers (generally pretty inexspensive). You'd have to take the cassette apart, choose a cog to use, and then put the spacers on either side to align the chain with whatever chainring you wish to use. Then use the rear derailleur to keep tension on the chain (or buy a $20 tensioner, which would probably work a little better), and remove the front derailleur. If you want to get really fancy, you can remove the other chainrings, or get a new crank, but it's not completely necessary, the chain should stay put.
    Can i remove the other chainrings by drilling out the rivits? How easy is it to take the casset off of the wheel and take it apart?

I have red hair
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    Can i remove the other chainrings by drilling out the rivits? How easy is it to take the casset off of the wheel and take it apart?

Sorry, I didn't see that the chainrings were riveted together, that will make it tougher, and you'll want to eventually just upgrade to a different crank. As far as the cassette goes, I've never done it myself, but I have friends that do it, and they say it's pretty easy. If you don't want to do that, most single-speed conversion kits will come with a cog or two or you can pick one up for pretty cheap (PM me if you need one).