Grip it and rip it.

sudden itch to go single speed

I ride about 25 miles on road to get to the trailhead though, this is my main concern. Any other SS`ers have a long road ride to the trail? Alot of my offroad climbs are steep but i`m looking foward to the punishment and less hassle! I have a klein adroit, 2000 model.
    Is it possible to just go single on the front to see what ring feels right before going completly SS asswell? Also what ratio would you reccomend. Thanks for any replys.

34N 118W

double double with cheese

One option I'd consider if I were in your riding shoes is the 'double double' setup from White Ind.

two chainrings and a freewheel with 2 different sized cogs on it. Some will argue that its not a true singlespeed, but I see it as more of a "ride to the trail" gear and a "trail" gear.

Stop, manually switch gears, ride. Repeat.

http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_web/eno-index.html

not sure on pricing or availability. If Ernesto would hurry up and quit his job maybe we could actually see some pictures of the stuff some day.

bicyclist
    you don't need to get White Ind stuff tp do the dual-ss, as long as you can run a cassette hub with 2 cogs and 2 chainrings, although this isn't compatible with spring-tensioners like the Singleator or the Convert, so unless you have horizontal dropouts, an EBB or a "magic gear" you would need to get a White Industries ENO hub
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Am I getting too bulky?
    I know this will be a little herretic on this forum, but in your situation, I'd strongly consider running a 1x8 setup. 25 miles of road each way is gonna be a ***** on an SS. The double double is an option too, of course, but without a tensioner, chain tension isn't going to be ideal in at least one of the combinations. Considering that you'd be wise to use a tensioner, you may as well use a rear deraileur.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

giddy up!
    In this instance I'd stick with a geared bike. After a few years of owning only a SS I bought a geared bike so that I could take advantage of local trails without driving to them.

That's my story.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride!
    I ride about 25 miles on road to get to the trailhead though, this is my main concern. Any other SS`ers have a long road ride to the trail? Alot of my offroad climbs are steep but i`m looking foward to the punishment and less hassle! I have a klein adroit, 2000 model.
    Is it possible to just go single on the front to see what ring feels right before going completly SS asswell? Also what ratio would you reccomend. Thanks for any replys.
    For a long ride to the trails I take a car, save your tires and time for the dirt. A 25 mile ride home after an SS ride is more than a cool down spin.