mtbr member

Stupid newbie question

Sorry in advance if this is dumb.

New to mountain biking (1.5 years) but am intrigued by the single speeds and have been reading here. Noticed there are front suspension and rigid forks. Is there no such thing as a dual suspension single speed and if so, why not?

[take it easy on me - going out on a limb here asking a possible dumb question on my very first post]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Van-Go
    Is there no such thing as a dual suspension single speed
    Anything is possible.

But most singlespeeders liks to keep it simple and low-maintenance.
    Ride more!

meatier showers
    That and singlespeeding involves quite a bit of standing and delivering so to speak... many FS sleds work best when the rider remains seated, due to suspension bob.

Not saying they all do...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    I wouldn't say that there is no such thing as an FS SS. However the reason you won't find many as well is that there is typically some chain growth with the Full/dual suspension bikes.

Chain growth is when the length of the chain required grows as the suspension cycles through its travel.

mtbr member
    I have found through my very limited experiences as a SS'er that the more I can take off of my bike, the better. Generally the less you have on the bike, the less there is to break (also the lighter the bike).

I wouldn't own a FS singlespeed just because it adds more things to keep up with. That, and while standing and mashing up hills, the suspension moves causing your pushing to be less efficient. So, to each his own I guess.
    Ne quid nimis.
    Nothing in excess.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    singlespeed is about simplicity. so most are HT with or without a suspension fork.

i like a bike that requires little to no tinkering or adjustment inbetween rides.

EXORCIZE
    Check out the Kona A and the Lenz Milk Money
    ride natty ride

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Yes there are FS SS bikes. They getting more common. And contrary to what others may say there are is no dumb questions, everyone is here to learn... or rant... either is fine with me

mtbr member
    My opinion regarding singlespeed is to obey the number one rule:

KISS

"Keep It Simple Stupid"

or should that be:

"Keep It SingleSpeed"

That being said, I am currently torn whether or not to put a RS Tora on the front end of my Niner or leave the Reynolds rigid. remember the rule...remember the rule

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Mtbiking is a new love. First love is lightweight long distance hiking but my training routine of running was taking its toll on the old knees. So, got into this and never knew I'd enjoy it so much. I've gone from a 40lb pack years ago to a 5lb pack. So, I guess my intrigue with SS is come by naturally. Simplicity. Reliability. Lightweight. I can appreciate those anthems and avoiding being incumbered by gears, lever, derailers, etc.

I'm looking for a DS right now - I think it would suit me where I ride most - but I suspect I am heading towards an additonal purchase of a 26 or 29 SS in my near future.

Thanks again.