Thread: Stumpy 29 ss?

mtbr member

Stumpy 29 ss?

Does anyone have any experience with one. I am kind of concerned about the EBB only rotating up and forward but it looks like it really doesn't matter. Also any experience with a split shell EBB and how well does it work compared to others?
    Ride & Smile

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Well, not the Stumpy version, but I do have about 25 hours of riding combined on two Rockhopper frames with the same set-up and it has been flawless. At first I had wanted to get the BB in the lower section of the shell for CG issues, but I was told that the frame was designed to hit the advertised BB height with the top section being used.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    so having the BB up doesn't really matter? I may just have to get one now. So there is no slipping w/ the ebb. it stay's put.
    Ride & Smile

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    so having the BB up doesn't really matter? I may just have to get one now. So there is no slipping w/ the ebb. it stay's put.
    Well, I cannot remember if I measured the BB height to check against the stated drop/height, but I was told that the final positioning was accounted for in the design. It never slipped on the two of us that rode them for many, many rides and it is dead easy to adjust on the trail. Once I had the chain too loose after working on it and had to re-tension it mid-ride. Piece o cake.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had a 2009 sj singlespeed frame - never a problem w/ the EBB. Just re- grease and tighten every few months. Check out the GF Rig too, the geometry was much better for me.

mtbr member
    close up pics anyone?
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    split-shell EBB is the only EBB style I would consider. I know not everyone has these problems, I've heard of way too many problems with wedge or set-screw EBBs either slipping, creaking or requiring a lot of upkeep. On the other hand I've heard nothing but absolute praise for split-shells and how dead reliable they are.

I wish there had been more split-shell choices when I bought my SS frame, but now we have the Rockhopper, Stumpjumper and the Raleigh XXIX that have all moved to split-shell

blet drive
    you weenie mighty matt get you one of those chines knock offs.. save the $ for wheels
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    what is it that makes me a weight weenie? i know it is special-ed but i am sick and tired of track ends.
    Ride & Smile

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    The OS bikes Blackbuck is on the split shell list as well. It is coming in more sizes this year, so I have heard.
    Blog Ramblings