Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpjumper Comp 29er to SS

805 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hand/of/Midas 
#1 ·
I am really interested in SS and know nothing of going SS. What all is involved in making the switch? Do I need multiple chain lengths for the gear ratios? What gears do I use? Can I switch between SS and Multi-geared relatively quickly? What happens to all the shifters and cables? ETC...
Thanks.
And, is singlespeed faster than multigeared in races? I thought about going SS after realizing I can pretty stick in one gear most of the race (upfront #2 and in the back #6, didn't count teeth), I don't think strength would be an issue.
BTW, if anyone is here from WORS, can I race a SS bike in a normal Sport race? I've already registered for all the races and can't just re-register.

Thanks again and sorry for the long post.

#2 ·
Remove the shifters, cassette and derailleur. I think that frame has sliders on the dropout for tension, but if I recall you don't have all that much adjustment, so you will most likely need a different length of chain to run a different ratio (you might be able to get a tooth or so of adjustment with the same chain length).

Will you be faster, it is different for everyone...no one can predict that. Just try it out. Putting the gears back on...same process as removing it all, not exactly quick. Not that you will want to put the gears back on! :)

You will need to buy a shimano splined SS cog (Misfit Psycles, Chris King, Surly, Endless, etc..) and a spacer kit to keep the cog in place on the cassette.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.