Thread: Studded tires?

Where's Toto?

New question here. Studded tires?

Anyone running studded tires? We just got hit with an ice storm here in KC. It's killing me. Brand new Vicious fork on the Spot SS 'crosser and I'm dying to ride. Having grown up in Chicago I know the fun and risk it can bring. Considering popping for some studs. I can either go with 26's on the Spot MTB SS or 700's on the SS 'crosser. Nokians? Innovas? Homemade? Leaning towards Nokians on the 26" because of the extra width. Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks...

Account Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Anyone running studded tires? We just got hit with an ice storm here in KC. It's killing me. Brand new Vicious fork on the Spot SS 'crosser and I'm dying to ride. Having grown up in Chicago I know the fun and risk it can bring. Considering popping for some studs. I can either go with 26's on the Spot MTB SS or 700's on the SS 'crosser. Nokians? Innovas? Homemade? Leaning towards Nokians on the 26" because of the extra width. Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks...
    Nokian Extreme 296's......work like a charm. I've heard there's a scwalbe that is nice too.

g

minister of chaos

Thanks...
    I've got a pair of Nokian 700c studded you can borrow if you want. I'm in south KC. You can try them out, and pop for them later if you like them.

Frank
    brianjrobinson(at)hotmail.com
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

highly visible

Thanks...
    Kinda depends on the kind of ice you plan to ride in. If it's glare ice, the more studs the better, especially when it gets rutted. The Nokian Hakka W240 has twice as many studs as their basic studded tire, and is designed specifically for that situation.

If it's "moderate" or occasional ice, you can probably get by quite well with the Nokian Hakka W106. That's my situation (occasional frozen trails with patchy ice, many frosty morning commutes), and for me the W106 works quite well. In fact, I have the 700x35 edition of this tire on my 'crosser and the 700x45 on my MTB right now.

For really serious winter conditions - ice alternating with deep snow, or riding on frozen lakes/rivers -- I'd go more serious, like the Nokian Extreme 296 or a homemade studded tire. The homemade ones can get extremely heavy and be a pain to make, but everyone says they are the ultimate in traction.

A couple of cautions about other models out there: The Innova studded tires widely available from QBP are reported to work well, but tend to lose studs quickly, which is why they sell replacement studs for those and not for the Nokians. Also, you might find the IRC Blizzard (26x2.1) studded tire in discount bins here and there -- I would strongly steer you away from this tire unless you find the rare 112-stud model. The 56-stud model that I had simply didn't have enough studs to be useful on ice (and its tread was quite useless in snow, defeating the purpose of having a fat MTB studded tire in the first place).

I haven't tried the Schwalbes.

Not because I'm fast.....

I like my Nokians

Thanks...
    I scored a brand new, never used pair of Nokian "Hakkasomething" 700x35 studded tires at a community swapmeet with a pair of old mavic rims for $5.00. I was stoked especially when I found out the tires sell for over $60 each. They work great on my CX bike.

highly visible

One more option...

Forgot to mention: the Nokian Mount & Ground is another 26" studded tire that falls somewhere between the Hakkapeliitta W106 and the Extreme 296. It has a beefier tread than the Hakkas, but not quite as serious as the Extreme and should roll better. Very popular among commuters in snow country, who run into a lot of mixed snow/ice/slush that's too much for the Hakka, but don't need the full offroad capabilities of the Extreme.

Also, the W240 is only available in 700x40 as far as I know, so that may not be an option anyway.

dumb ass
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    A couple of cautions about other models out there: The Innova studded tires widely available from QBP are reported to work well, but tend to lose studs quickly,
    3 of use have been running the innova studdud 26" for 2+ years and not a lost stud yet. we've ridden roots, rocks, trees, glare ice, frozen creeks and the roads to get all these places. worth the <$40 price. makes ho-made studs a pita.

kl
    Baby seal walks into a club.

mtbr member
    Like the others said, it depends what you want to do. For serious trail riding, the Nokians are by far the best. They even have a new 2.3" studded tire (Freddy's Revenge or something like that), but they are BIG bucks, Like $140 each if you can find them. The Nokian 2.1 tires are very highly rated, but also pricey, unless you find a used set. For less money you could go with the Innova tires, which should last you a long time if you are not using them every day. I bought a set of the of the IRC Blizzard (the 112 stud model) on E-bay a few years ago for cheap and am reasonably happy with them. If I lived somewhere where I needed studded tires for the whole winter I would invest in the Nokians, but for occasional use, my IRC's are fine, as would be the Innova's. I hope this helps.

Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    try the kenda klondikes