mtbr member

Stuck HBC cog....

Hi everyone, after building a new rear wheel, I wanted to take my HBC cog off of the wheel it's on.... stuck like crazy. Tried hitting from behind with a mallet and a big flat screwdriver, no mouvement. I'll probably need some type of puller but I don't know anything about them. Is there a special type of puller I should be looking for? Any other special trick?

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Is the cog itself stuck? I'm going to assume that you have removed the lockring and spacers first, if not, you have to do that first. Otherwise, just keep working it till it gets free. I hear HBC stuff is machined within very tight tolerance (good thing) and may just be wedged in a touch tighter after dirt, grime, and usage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If it is really stubborn, and you have a big freezer, put the wheel in there for a couple of hours. Once it's good and cold, carefully heat the cog with a propane torch. This works especially well if you have an aluminum cog, but even if it's a stainless one, this will work. Otherwise, some penetrating oil, and keep tapping at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    x2
    Spray it with penetrating fluid(PB Blaster, Kroil etc). Let it sit, try again. Also, a little heat from a propane torch will help.

surly inbred
    A light coating of grease on the freehub splines goes a long way... assuming you have that scenario.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, it's soaking in penetrating lube right now.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Thanks guys, it's soaking in penetrating lube right now.
    That's what she said!

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm guessing it is the cassette body that is giving you issues. If your cog/cassette on some of the modern hubs isn't broad, it tends to bite. I think this is because they are aluminum bodies and there is not an easy solution.

On my hope hub I wiggled the cog free with a chain whip, placed a handlebar across the wheel and used it as a pivot for a screwdriver and worked at the cog from a couple angles. That got it off fairly easily.

mtbr member
    Thanks umarth, I was trying to figure out a way of "prying it out" in some way, without damaging the wheel. I will give it a shot (tonight) with my chain whip.

Low Rep Count
    At least you have an HBC cog on the wheel. Most of us don't know where ours is!!! Sorry just had to throw that out there.

I like the idea of giving it some time to chill in the freezer then hitting with a torch! Closest I came to getting a cog stuck was w/ a campy ti cassette that bit into the cassette body. Used the whip to get it to come loose.

mtbr member
    I actually have 4 HBC cogs and 2 chainrings !!! Got them all last year. They are still going strong!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Have you tried tapping the cog in the opposite direction? I am sure the cog has just slipped forward on the free body causing it to wedge on. It happened to one of mine.