mtbr member

strong half link?

is there such a thing? i need to use a half link to get the wheel in a good place for tire clearence. with a full link its too far back, and without its a little too far forward. i am using a wipperman single speed chain and a kmc half link. i broke the chain today on the half link. this is my 5th ride with this set up. bike setup is a jabberwocky with kenda nevegal tires. i am a clyde and i mash. i need a strong chain.
    are there any strong half links? anybody know where to get a wipperman half link?

one chain loop
    i always wanted to try the shadow conspiracy half link chain, but it's too spendy.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Shouldn't really mix and match half-link brands. You may want to go to a full half link chain. Try the Gusset half link. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=276 That might work better.

mtbr member
    I 've used this Gussett half link with KMC 3/32" chain with no problems.

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/g...32-nickel.html

You just join it in with two master links.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I also prefer to add the half links not next to a masterlink. Sometimes it can lead to problems.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I just got the shadow conspiracy. I bought a half link for my PC-1 and tried it, but put the shadow on a short time after. I didn't trust just a single half link for my type of riding.

You realize why it's so pricey when you're handling it. It's heavy and brutally beefy; in fact, most hand held chain breakers will not work.

The downside is that there's no master link like on the Srams etc. It's also very weighty, but realistically, it'll probably be the last SS chain you'll buy.

Live Life, Ride a Bike!
    will the shadow chain work on 3/32 cogs and chain rings? I am new at this so I see 1/8 and 3/32 listed as 2 options alot with chains and cogs.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Yea; the shadow is a 1/8 chain but will work w 3/32 cogs.

In fact, I'm running a Blackspire single speed front ring and a surly 17t cog out back, both designed for 3/32 chains, with my shadow. 3/32 are going to be your narrower chains usually for geared bikes, but they save weight and are used a lot in SS applications. I like 1/8 chains better because they're usually a lot more durable and many are designed specifically for SS; you'll frequently see 1/8 chains on BMX bikes. Some guys will tell you that using a 1/8 on 3/32 rings/cogs will cause more noise and chain wear. I haven't run it long enough to tell, although it is a very common practice.

The shadow is in itself a BMX chain, it just so happens to be a very tried and true design that works well in any SS setup if you don't mind the weight and need the adjustability of a full half link chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I also prefer to add the half links not next to a masterlink. Sometimes it can lead to problems.
    lol master links are for girls
    of course my opinion is the right one, thats why I have it.
    "there's my chippy"

mtbr member
    lbs ordered me a gussett half link to try. they also ordered a gussett half link chain incase i decide to go in that direction. thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You know i was just lookin at the shadow half link chains on the net today and was thinkin of buyin one of those instead of using the surly singleator. Anyone on here try or know anything about a full half link chain??? Would it be a good or bad idea to use one or should i just buy the singleator? I put alot of torque on my cranks and do some light jumping on my mountain bike so i want something that will be strong and last

mtbr member
    More than one half-link in a chain is redundant.

Adding one half link to a chain may allow you to find a "magic gear" combination of chainring and cog that work without a tensioner. No guarantees though. Unless you are lucky, willing to experiment with many combinations or know someone with the same frame that has done the work for you, you will probably still need a tensioner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Guess ill stick with the Surly singleator then. Better safe that way. I wanna run 34t 16t when i convert my bike next week. Thanks for the input. I would think to being all half links that there would certainly be more wear on the chainring and cog

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsurf1981
    You know i was just lookin at the shadow half link chains on the net today and was thinkin of buyin one of those instead of using the surly singleator. Anyone on here try or know anything about a full half link chain??? Would it be a good or bad idea to use one or should i just buy the singleator? I put alot of torque on my cranks and do some light jumping on my mountain bike so i want something that will be strong and last
    The bottom line is, the Shadow V2 half link has had years of R&D from brutal freestyle riders and has been improved upon as riders find weaknesses. It's the most bombproof chain out there; I mean, when the instructions tell you that sprocket stalls and grinds may "shorten" the life of your chain, you know they've got a lot of abuse for it in mind.

I just put one on my SS so I could get my sliding drops completely seated on the chainstay for a super short 15.25". The disadvantages of the chain are pretty much cost, weight, no master link, faster sprocket wear w micro gearing, and a bear to break. It took me about an hour to get it dialed in and set with my handheld park chainbreaker. I wouldn't run it on a SS that never sees dirt or for someone looking for a superlight bike; it's overkill.

Captain_America, when your LBS gets your parts in, you'll probably install the single half link on your original chain, but after a few minutes of handling the full half link, you'll probably be inclined to put that on instead and use your old chain as a backup. These things not only perform awesomely, but they look really sweet too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo!

Captain_America, when your LBS gets your parts in, you'll probably install the single half link on your original chain, but after a few minutes of handling the full half link, you'll probably be inclined to put that on instead and use your old chain as a backup. These things not only perform awesomely, but they look really sweet too.
    from the pics i have seen they look pretty cool. my old chain is about 1.5 months old, so its not really old. i also have a kmc as a backup chain. the wipperman chain i am running is really strong (also heavy). it was the half link that broke appart. they ordered the half link chain, so that if i decided i needed it, i would not have to wait a week for it. its a cool shop. they are actually giving me the gusset half link since i broke the kmc one i got from them. i was expecting to pay for it, so it was kind of nice.

i decided to put a full link, so i would have my ss to ride this week on my morning rides. my work schedule allows me to ride in the mornings while my son is in school. most of my morning ride trails are ss friendly, and i hate riding my 1 x 9 on them. is the wheel too far back in this shot? i think for a temp solution its ok, but no good for long term solution. what do you think?

Yo!
    mtbr member
    As long as you've got the whole axle in the dropout and the wheel tight, running it that far back shouldn't hurt anything as a temporary setup.

The only problem I could foresee is caliper/rotor alignment since the disc is positioned away from the caliper. If your back wheel spins smoothly and your pads are making full contact, then hell yea, run your bike like that until you can get that back wheel slammed with your new half link.

It still looks like there's a bit of chain slack, unless of course that's the angle of the photo. I just wouldn't ride too hard while your bike is set up that way.

mtbr member
    i had to move the caliper to get that setup to work. i rode it a few days last week with no issues. after working all weekend i finally got a chance to get the half link today, and i don't see this one breaking. i will test it out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    i am a bmx rider of 15 years who is new to the mtb thing. bmx riders have mixed feelings on the Shadow half-link chain. some love it, some hate it. the biggest problem you might have is that you need a huge chain breaker to work on it (Park CT-7 or Shadow's proprietary chain tool). some people say it stretches too quickly.

kmc also has a "pintle" halflink chain. i have heard NOTHING BUT BAD THINGS about this chain. Empire BMX shop used to sell them and they said every single chain they sold came back within a month shattered or stretched beyond recognition. avoid.

KHE makes a nice half-link chain too, i don't trust the hollow-pin one, so looks for the regular one. i have it on my bmx bike and it's nice.

your best bet is a kmx z510x chain with a Super Star half-link.