mtbr member

Stem/Neck Question

I picked up a single speed road bike a few months back to add some extra workouts into my week. So I commute a 32 mile round trip on it. My girlfriend who is also a mountain biker decided she wanted to start getting these mid week rides in with me. So I bought her a single speed too. Right away I look at the stem on the bike and can tell for her height the 5 degree rise on it is going to be too low. She wasn't with me when I picked it up from the LBS and the guy at the shop is like well have her try it. Alright, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Honestly the bike is for the most part bought by someone who wants to look cool going to the bar so most people that are buying them may not quite understand fitting your bike. So she takes the bike in to get a new stem and they end up putting on this neck extender instead of a stem with more rise and possibly a little longer. I've never seen anything like this and to me it just looks like another point of failure. Can anyone tell me why or why not someone who is trying to ride a bike for fitness/fun this part just doesn't seem right?

mtbr member
    if your LBS is worth the bricks and mortar it's made of, they will fit her on the bike for free and offer here an inexpensive stem to replace the one that does not fit well, if it in fact does not fit well. the fact that you picked up the bike from the store without having her test ride it and get the bike fitted for her is your fault. if the bike is just too big and the saddle-bar drop is too much, you either bought the wrong bike or they didn't ask the right questions and sold you the wrong bike.

mtbr member
    I'm getting the feeling they aren't worth much at this point. She is 5'11" and I'm 6'2". She rode my bike which is a 59 cm and we ordered the largest frame this company had which is a 58cm. Size wise the bike is fine. She just needed a longer stem with a steeper rise. Which is exactly what I did on my bike. What they did instead of just giving her a new stem they installed a stem riser simular to this:

Delta Alloy Bicycle Stem Raiser: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

My question is this a jenky way to set her up or do you think it will be fine? It just seems to me in all the years I've been biking I"ve never seen one of these installed on someones bike. I would think if you are just cruising around town that it would be fine, however otherwise I seem to think it may be a point of failure or put her in too much of an upright position to make her riding efficient.

Gigantic Hawk
    Those extenders are fine for cruising around town. That said, I'd never use one if I could get the correct stem. The extenders are heavy and they look ridiculous.

openwound
    Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt: ask the shop if they put the extender on there because they didn't have the correct size/rise stem on hand -- and the extender was meant as a temporary fix?

That might be a nicer way to get them to do the right thing, which would be to find a proper size/rise stem.
    -- let's ride