mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Steel fork for Jamis Exile SS

I have a 2007 Jamis Exile SS 26" coming tomorrow from Jenson (great deal). It is a 21" frame size. I am looking for a decent steel fork for it and I would like suggestions. The frame was designed around a 100mm suspension fork. I was toying with the idea of making it a 96er but I'm concerned that I won't be able to dial the original geometry. I want to run a large front tire - at least 2.5 possibly bigger, so I don't know how much effect that would have on fork selection.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    The Surly Instigator fork is 100mm corrected IIRC and it can take huge tires

Birdman aka JMJ

Kona P2?

I always liked the Kona Project 2 fork - wanted one but ended up with a Spicer Ti fork. Inexpensive (the Kona, that is) - not sure about the tire size though.

I'm eager to hear about the Exile frame - the weight seems a little high. I am eyeballing the 2006 or 2007 Exile SS frame in 21", but it's a pound heavier than my Soma Groove.

Keep us posted - JMJ

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've got a 26" Project 2 and a KM 29er; both work well, but are not exceptional. The
    Project 2, vee-only is light at about 1050 grams uncut.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'd go P2 or this one from Soul Cycles. I'm going to assume most of the forks will fit a 2.5, but to make sure, write Soul Cycles or Kona and ask.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just checked out the Soul Cycles fork and it looks cool - the price is even cool-er at $59. Anyone have experience with it?

For what its worth, I finally got the specs on the Manitou Relic 100mm fork that the bike originally came with. The ATC length is 476mm and the offset is 38.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l
    I've got a 26" Project 2 and a KM 29er; both work well, but are not exceptional. The
    Project 2, vee-only is light at about 1050 grams uncut.
    nicee

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've gotta Salsa CroMoto fork on my 26" SS. It's a really nice fork, and would give you enough room if you wanted to run either 2.5" 26" tires, or if you wanted to go 96'er. I know this because I've mounted the 2.125" NanoRaptor tire and wheel off my 29er, and it still had about half an inch clearance. My wife has the Exile 26" you're getting; it's a nice frame. Considering pulling the CroMoto fork off my SS, and putting it on hers, since she doesn't really need the suss fork that came with it. Too much work for no big improvement (not one she'd likely notice, anyway).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Funny I am looking at the same thing, I just posted on this THEN saw this. I have a P2 fork, it is a disc model, I think the 41cm length. It rides well and fits the 2.5" tires I have great. Only thing I was trying to fix a little better was the geometry, fork itself it awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ended up using a Salsa Chromoto for that has a 445mm ATC and it worked famously. The Exile rides absolutely perfect. It is my first single speed and I am totally hooked. The Chromoto provides precise steering and believe it or not it is somewhat supple for a rigid fork. That is until I hit the rock gardens and my fillings start falling out of my teeth!