Thread: Stealth SS

mtbr member

Stealth SS

I'm so happy.
    I got rid of the noisy, unreliable Surly Singulator and put on the DMR fixed tensioner.
    Voila!!, almost total silence.
    My XT hub has also quieted down considerably so the bike is really stealthy.
    I had 3 interesting problems with installing the DMR though and was wondering if anybody else had the same.
    1. the roller wouldn't move inboard enough for my chain line so I merely bent the body of it carefully inward and adjusted it so that the roller was still in line with the chain; problem fixed
    2. the groove in the orange roller wasn't wide enough for my BMX chain so I took a rasp to it and hogged out some orange material; problem fixed
    3. This last one is strange.
    I attached the little black Aluminum mounting piece under the skewer and then mounted the DMR to it. When I closed the skewer tight, the wheel would no longer sit in the frame straight. The real confusing thing was that the wheel was shifted toward the non-drive side at the chain stays, and toward the drive side at the seat stays.
    Took me forever to figure out.
    Finally, I took that little black Aluminum mounting piece out and carefully took the Dremel to it. I removed a very small amount from all the faces (it's now silver) and then remounted everything. Voilla! Problem fixed and I was happy.

Riding the bike is now a blast. It's so cool to go flying down hill or pedalling along through tech stuff in total silence.
    The attached pic is when I had the Surly attached.
    This is by far the best incarnation of the old Bonty!
    Hope some of this stuff helps someone with the same probs.
    Lenny

Custom User Title
    hi lenny,

Like you, i am almost tearing my hair out at the noise levels from my tensioners. I have tried three so far - the surly, the doofer and the otherdoofer from on-one.co.uk

I like the otherdoofer since it was the quietest(similar to your DMR) but had the same problem with the chainline,

Currently, i have a 'frankensioner' which consists of the wheel from the otherdoofer and the body of the surly. I mcgyvered a bolt and couple of washers to increase the distance from the surly body to the wheel to improve the chainline. At the moment i have it zip-tied up on the frame, which looks kind of crap. But i need a push up spring for my surly as ive lost it so i can run it without the tie. ill try and post pics if you wanted.