Bikes not Bombs.....

Star flange nut setter thingy....

I need to cut down a steer tube that has a star flange nut already installed. I guess I have 2 options. Push the existing star thing down further, or cut the steerer and install a new one.

I don't have the offical Park Star flange nut setter. I would like to do this tomorrow and actually ride the bike. I gueSS my question is.... is there another method to set the star flange, without the Park tool? Maybe get a long honkin threaded bolt, screw it into the star flange and wop the heck out of it until it sets deep enough?????

Any and all input is appreciated, sarcasm is welcomed also, jokes in bad taste are expected.....

-JS-
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

TR
    Angry bunny
    I have used a peice of dowel and a hammer a couple of times with sucess.
    When I neded to remove some length off the steerer tube of my Noleen fork I just pushed the star nut all the way through and out and then reinstalled it with the same peice of dowel.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004

try this

Before I got my star nut setter, I would thread the bolt all the way down the star nut, then find a socket that just fits over the bolt head, and with a socket extension attached to the socket, start tapping trying to keep it as straight as possible. Don't whack away like a maniac as you'll either bang it in real crooked or too far down, or both.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Park tool site has this tip for setting the star nut......

If your stem uses 2 pinch bolts, you can use the stem to help guide the star nut straight into the steerer.
    - clamp the stem onto the top of the steerer tube using the lower pinch bolt only, so that most of the stem clamp is above the top of the steerer tube. Don't crank the pinch bolt.
    - thread a bolt into the star nut or use a dowel or the Park setting tool.
    - start the star nut into the steerer tube. The stem is a guide to keeping the star nut from going in at a bad angle.

I used this tip successfully. It really helped.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I have the P ark tool and another way better tool (don't know who made it or where I got it, but it is way better than the P ark tool) available to me. However, in my haste, sometimes I have simply threaded a the bolt into the star nut and just started tapping on the bolt with a hammer. Slowly and making corrections by tapping from an angle to keep the bolt centered as I go. It works.

I'd rather give up my star nut setter than my steerer tube cutting guide - I hade angled cuts on steerer tubes.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I need to cut down a steer tube that has a star flange nut already installed. I guess I have 2 options. Push the existing star thing down further, or cut the steerer and install a new one.

I don't have the offical Park Star flange nut setter. I would like to do this tomorrow and actually ride the bike. I gueSS my question is.... is there another method to set the star flange, without the Park tool? Maybe get a long honkin threaded bolt, screw it into the star flange and wop the heck out of it until it sets deep enough?????

Any and all input is appreciated, sarcasm is welcomed also, jokes in bad taste are expected.....

-JS-
    I've tried various tools (screwdrivers, sockets, etc) and techniques to install the SFN without the tool. Sometimes they go in straight, other times skewed. I finally decided to get the Park SFN installer and it's a breeze...just pound it. Straight every time.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com