Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Stans ZTR SS rear disc hub?

I'm looking at having a new rear wheel built using an Arch 29er rim. I am considering the Hope Pro 2 Trials hub. But, I can save a bunch of money by going with the Stans house brand hub, which is now available in a SS version.

Does anyone have experience with this hub, and can provide a review? Specifically, I'd like to hear about how quick it engages (one of the advantages of the Hope Trials hub) and how loud it is.

Also, I can't find a pic of the SS hub, and am interested in seeing the freehub setup. Does anyone know where I can find a pic, or can post one?

Thanks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    looking at a new wheel set over the winter so i too would be interested. the geared hubs and what have you are american classic if i recall correctly. so is it safe to assume that the SS is also an american classic? and if so its a light hub but doesn't have super great engagement
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    I heard Stan uses Quando hubs (KTgroup Taiwan).
    This is their (KT) singlespeed QR disc hub.
    Or this one.
    Could be the same.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a set of Stan's hubs/Crest rims. Very nice for the price, and pretty light as well. I think the engagement is more like a geared hub, but it still works well. It was only a $10 upgrade over their normal ZTR hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does the ZTR SS disc hub use a threaded freehub body and external lockring (like in the first link from the previous poster) or a smooth, splined freehub body, spacers and internal lockring (like Chris King, Hope, Shimano, etc.)?

One of the reasons I'm replacing my current rear wheel is that it has a threaded freehub body, and the threads have been damaged by the crappy, stamped-steel cog. So, now I have to use spacers to keep the external lockring on the threads that aren't damaged. Yes, this could have been avoided by using a better cog, I could just replace the freehub body, etc. But, it's a good excuse to upgrade, and get away from the threaded freehub body.

Any chance you could post a pic of your hub?

Thanks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here's the hub and some more information.

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop...jrt740asc0o4a2

I'm also curious to get some reviews. I've been using an American Classics SS hub but am tempted by the ZTR for my next build. I'm happy with the engagement of the AC, and really impressed by how smooth it rolls. If the ZTR comes close in either category I'd go for it.
    Last edited by uknathank; 12-11-2010 at 08:59 AM.

nothing to see here
    30 points of engagement sounds ok to me, when I've currently got 24poe.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Dive Bomber
    err.. wrong post.
    Last edited by jackspade; 12-11-2010 at 04:02 AM.

beautiful jackass
    It seems like there are a fair number of people on these boards who have reported problems with the freehub blowing out on the ZTR hubs. This is the primary reason I haven't fully committed to this wheel set but the single speed version may be a better performer. I'm torn between Arch/ZTR and the Spinergy Xyclone.

I would buy the ZTR wheel set if I was more confident in the build quality and I'd go just as easily to the Xyclone if I knew it was comparably easy enough to run tubeless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had terrible experience with Spinergy wheels. Freehub body just sh*t the bed and getting a replacement was almost impossible. I've had minimal experience with the ZTR rear disc hub and had no issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    anyone get in any ride time on the ZTR single speed hub yet?

Low Rep Count
    I have not ridden the ZTR hub but from all that I have read, I would spend a little more money and go with the Hope's. They have had a good track record though they weigh a little bit more.

beautiful jackass
    I wound up going with the Flow / ZTR combo with the free hub. Though it looks like they've re-branded the hubs with the Stan's name instead of ZTR. Mine says Stan's 3.30 (3 pawl, 30 point engagement).

The literature inside the catalog I got doesn't say anything about redesigned internals - just the new name.

The hub is louder than I thought it'd be, but I'm sure some of that will be dampened with tires and the spacers and cog.

I'll see how it goes.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by uknathank
    here's the hub and some more information.

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop...jrt740asc0o4a2

I'm also curious to get some reviews. I've been using an American Classics SS hub but am tempted by the ZTR for my next build. I'm happy with the engagement of the AC, and really impressed by how smooth it rolls. If the ZTR comes close in either category I'd go for it.
    This site does not show the Singlespeed hub, just their standard 9 speed hub. I've looked around and have yet to find any real description or photo of Stan's SS hub. If nthasingletrackmastah is correct, which I think he is, than it is a KT SS hub, most likely it's the 504gm KT-Y03R, since it's made for 135mm and the other is for 110/120mm. The KT-Y03R looks like it was modeled after the 4 bearing NovaTec, which is a heavy duty (emphasis on heavy) and only as good as the 4 cartridge bearings used.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks -- you seem to be right, judging by the length of the cassette body. didn't notice that.

hopefully someone will post some photos and a ride report soon

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    This site does not show the Singlespeed hub, just their standard 9 speed hub. I've looked around and have yet to find any real description or photo of Stan's SS hub. If nthasingletrackmastah is correct, which I think he is, than it is a KT SS hub, most likely it's the 504gm KT-Y03R, since it's made for 135mm and the other is for 110/120mm. The KT-Y03R looks like it was modeled after the 4 bearing NovaTec, which is a heavy duty (emphasis on heavy) and only as good as the 4 cartridge bearings used.
    No, it looks NOTHING like the Y03 hub. It looks just like the regular ZTR disc hub, but with a shorter freehub (0.951" or 24.1mm wide/long/whatever).

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

I have no ride info on this hub. It will be built within the next week, hopefully, and might be on a few rides in January.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    No, it looks NOTHING like the Y03 hub. It looks just like the regular ZTR disc hub, but with a shorter freehub (0.951" or 24.1mm wide/long/whatever).

I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow.

I have no ride info on this hub. It will be built within the next week, hopefully, and might be on a few rides in January.
    I probably should have done this before. Since the ZTR is almost identical to the WTB laser light, I'm guessing the single speed looks like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stans ZTR SS rear disc hub?-laserdiscsingleduty1.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I probably should have done this before. Since the ZTR is almost identical to the WTB laser light, I'm guessing the single speed looks like this.
    It looks like a ZTR hub, but with a shorter freehub section. They still have round, silver ends on the axles, like their "big brother".

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Many apologies for the wait everyone. I've been overcoming a file transfer issue which is now resolved.

Pics, as promised, of the 256 gram (with aluminum lockring) ZTR singlespeed disc hub .....

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is the Left and Right flange spacing the same on this hub for even spoke tension?

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy
    Is the Left and Right flange spacing the same on this hub for even spoke tension?
    No. Bob at NoTubes was kind enough to provide the following specs ...

"S, mm dL, mm WL, mm dR, mm WR, mm F/R cogs OLD, mm Hub

2.5 58.0 33.5 58.0 29.5 R 1 135 Stan's ZTR Disc Single Speed"

So left and right flange have a difference of 4mm.

... and cookies.

NedwannaB

Geared FH offset?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO

So left and right flange have a difference of 4mm.
    What is that typically? I'm looking to get a ZTR wheel and can run SS aswell since my frame has sliders. But wondering if its worth going SS specific hub or go geared and use spacers for cog alignment.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    go geared. any real-world benefit to a true ss hub is questionable, and all it does is keep you from using those wheels on anything else. For example, my last set of wheels from my singlespeed are now going on a geared loaner bike (i say loaner so i don't have to admit i'm going to try gears again ). I couldn't do that if i had went the SS hub route. Most SS hubs need some spacers anyways, so why lock yourself in with only minimal (at best) gains?

big legs, small brains
    I have been riding the ZTR SS hub for almost a year. I weigh 158 lbs and have the crest rims with 2.0/1.7mm spokes. I have not had any problems with the hub. I agree it is noisy, but you'll know when I need to pass you! My only problem with the hub is that it needs more points of engagement. I find that when doing hard climbs with root step ups I have too much slack time before the hub engages. I took the freewheel off before riding the Tour de Felasco this weekend and found that it was very easy to clean and inspect the bearings and mating surfaces. The two lipped seal has kept the dirt away from the internals (and in Florida there is always sand out here). The freehub is not threaded on, but held on with threaded retainers. Super easy to service. I would give this hub 4 or 4.5 stars on the MTBR ratings.
    Kyle

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Using a SS specific hub with slightly wider flanges are stiffer than a standard hub with spacers. Go SS specific. This is the SS forum right? Why buy a geared hub if you aren't going to use it? Don't buy a WTB LaserDisc Lite hub. Poor engagement and the bearings flat out don't last.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast