Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

SSWC09 Let's see you rig?

Let's see what everyones bringing to the party.

old enough to know better

Stellar

another Black Sheep for world peace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter
    Hey, slight deviation from the topic of the thread.. mate, which model seat are you running on that Black Sheep? Radical bike by the way..

Saddle

It's a Ti Swift. I recommend it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Looks alot like mine

Here is what I will be showing up with

Photobucket

bicycle rider
    My bike:

Morgan

mtbr member
    my ride is being built still. check out the Edoz booth at the handmade show

Schipperkes are cool.
    Nah, takes some of the fun away from the start
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Mavot?

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet
    Mavot?
    and 2 more
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Nice!

mtbr member

Custom PATRICK 69er belt drive single speed

here she is in her birthday suit!! at the painters gitin all did up for SSWC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    slobber......

Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    My bike:

Morgan
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

is buachail foighneach me
    we definitely need several threads dedicated to morgan's bike. that's a hot piece right thur.

Life is Go0d!
    My bike:

Morgan
    Is that a Hunter?
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Nice one!

Belt drive?
    Ride more!

Life is Go0d!
    What a sweet looking bike.. I be jealous.. how is the ride?
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    we definitely need several threads dedicated to morgan's bike. that's a hot piece right thur.
    It ain't no thing!

I sure do like riding it, and I think it looks cool. When I was 13 I bought a home-made klunker second-hand. It had a red Laguna frame with double top tubes. Someone had added cantilever brake bosses. It had Magura motorcycle levers, Mafac cantilevers, lots of bmx gold stuff (cranks, neck, bars, seatpost, rims, pedals and maybe some other stuff) and touring derailleurs and thumb shifters. I think it was a 2x5 and weighed at least 50lbs. I used to push it up the hill above the Mission in San Rafael, CA and bomb down through Boyd Park. I don't think I ever got above half-way up Mt. Tam on it. It was heavy. I got in trouble with my mom and she sent me across the country to live with my dad and she got rid of it. That was 27 years ago. I have always missed it. Yeah, sound like a movie? Rosebud. My mom died a couple years ago. I just turned 40. I wanted to build a bike like it. I asked Curtis to make me one. He was nice enough to let me ride his "Sweden bike" at the Turkey Day Appetite Seminar Ride in Fairfax, CA a couple years ago. I wanted to try a SS 29er, and I'm almost as tall as he is. I was really surprised by how well it climbed. I cleaned the initial steep, rocky climb (Oat Hill) on it, which was surprising. The rear tire just stuck and I could turn a really low RPM and still climb up it, weaving between stalled riders. I originally asked for something more like the Laguna, a "camelback" frame with straight seat stays, straight second top tube and camelback top tube, but that's not his style and I like Curtis and I like his bikes, so we agreed it'd have a nice, almost constant curve to the top tube and seat stays, and I also asked for a slight curve to the seat tube, to make the chainstays shorter and to look cool. I asked for an EBB and regular dropouts with a derailleur hanger and some cable guides or derailleur cable, just so I could do anything I wanted with the bike. I went on a crazy quest for gold parts and found a lot that was already gold; hubs, headset, bottom bracket, bars, brakes, chain. I then got the rest of the parts that were either really good (Thomson) and/or could be anodized (Surly Mr. Whirly cranks) and researched all the alloys, then gave that info and the parts to Vanessa at Milner's Anodizing in Santa Rosa, CA. They adjusted the dip time and voltage based on the alloy, so that the gold came out mostly constant. I had them do two seatposts, a Thomson and a disassembled Gravitydropper. I kinda doubt I'll ever use the GD seatpost. I also have a glittery gold WTB saddle, I think a Speed-V, but... it's too gold. Curtis had the frame done pretty quick, but it took me almost another year to get the money and parts together to finish the build. I finished it earlier this year, in April. It's really a great bike. Rides great and I have no regrets with the look. I'm not a 49ers fan, maybe the guy who built the original Laguna was. But it totally fits me and I love to ride it. Curtis built a great frame and the paint, done by Russ Pickett of Airart in Chico, CA is great. Russ masked crown and stanchions of the assembled fork and painted the legs to match. I found gold Reba decals on ebay. I also found some gold "LANDING GEAR" decals and almost put them on the fork legs. Ha! The Retrotec logo on the frame is actually painted, using a decal negative as a mask and then outlining it with black paint. Russ also painted the stainless head badge the same gold. I have an extra gold Stans Flow rim, in case I taco one of these. I sometimes think about getting a gold Chris King geared rear hub and running this bike 1x9, but really don't see the need. The only problem I've had with the bike is a Chris King headset that creaks and won't stay tight. I sometimes wonder if the 120mm stem and 700mm bars are too much leverage for it? Or did I somehow permanently damage the steerer or stem by running it slightly loose on its maiden voyage at Henry Coe state park with the steerer a few millimeters too tall? (I've since replaced the CK bearing cap with a new one.) Or is it the fork crown?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2547066...7616610447050/

Nostalgia is a kind of sickness, but I do feel like I've closed a loop with this bike. And it is more than a bike to me. It's got my soul.

Since those pictures were taken I've put Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 tires on it (fatter is better) and changed the Salsa seatpost clamp for a gold Salsa seatpost QR.

Looking forward to SSWC!

Morgan

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    Is that a Hunter?
    It's a Retrotec, built by Curtis Inglis in Napa, CA.

Morgan

i know someone else who has a retrotec, had a thomson stem, ck headset, and had incurable creaking. i forget what he did to fix it.

bicycle rider
    Duplicate

bicycle rider
    i know someone else who has a retrotec, had a thomson stem, ck headset, and had incurable creaking. i forget what he did to fix it.
    Hey, if you see them, ask and let me know?

I've been thinking about trying a Cane Creek headset. I think the 110 comes in gold. But money's tight now.

Morgan

i'll email him a link to this thread.

mtbr member
    It never would stay tight either. I got rid of King headset for a 110 Cane Creek. Also have a custom steel stem on it now. No more creaking.

PS: I had a Thomson Elite stem...old style for 25.4 bars.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    It ain't no thing!

I sure do like riding it, and I think it looks cool. When I was 13 I bought a home-made klunker second-hand. It had a red Laguna frame with double top tubes. Someone had added cantilever brake bosses. It had Magura motorcycle levers, Mafac cantilevers, lots of bmx gold stuff (cranks, neck, bars, seatpost, rims, pedals and maybe some other stuff) and touring derailleurs and thumb shifters. I think it was a 2x5 and weighed at least 50lbs. I used to push it up the hill above the Mission in San Rafael, CA and bomb down through Boyd Park. I don't think I ever got above half-way up Mt. Tam on it. It was heavy. I got in trouble with my mom and she sent me across the country to live with my dad and she got rid of it. That was 27 years ago. I have always missed it. Yeah, sound like a movie? Rosebud. My mom died a couple years ago. I just turned 40. I wanted to build a bike like it. I asked Curtis to make me one. He was nice enough to let me ride his "Sweden bike" at the Turkey Day Appetite Seminar Ride in Fairfax, CA a couple years ago. I wanted to try a SS 29er, and I'm almost as tall as he is. I was really surprised by how well it climbed. I cleaned the initial steep, rocky climb (Oat Hill) on it, which was surprising. The rear tire just stuck and I could turn a really low RPM and still climb up it, weaving between stalled riders. I originally asked for something more like the Laguna, a "camelback" frame with straight seat stays, straight second top tube and camelback top tube, but that's not his style and I like Curtis and I like his bikes, so we agreed it'd have a nice, almost constant curve to the top tube and seat stays, and I also asked for a slight curve to the seat tube, to make the chainstays shorter and to look cool. I asked for an EBB and regular dropouts with a derailleur hanger and some cable guides or derailleur cable, just so I could do anything I wanted with the bike. I went on a crazy quest for gold parts and found a lot that was already gold; hubs, headset, bottom bracket, bars, brakes, chain. I then got the rest of the parts that were either really good (Thomson) and/or could be anodized (Surly Mr. Whirly cranks) and researched all the alloys, then gave that info and the parts to Vanessa at Milner's Anodizing in Santa Rosa, CA. They adjusted the dip time and voltage based on the alloy, so that the gold came out mostly constant. I had them do two seatposts, a Thomson and a disassembled Gravitydropper. I kinda doubt I'll ever use the GD seatpost. I also have a glittery gold WTB saddle, I think a Speed-V, but... it's too gold. Curtis had the frame done pretty quick, but it took me almost another year to get the money and parts together to finish the build. I finished it earlier this year, in April. It's really a great bike. Rides great and I have no regrets with the look. I'm not a 49ers fan, maybe the guy who built the original Laguna was. But it totally fits me and I love to ride it. Curtis built a great frame and the paint, done by Russ Pickett of Airart in Chico, CA is great. Russ masked crown and stanchions of the assembled fork and painted the legs to match. I found gold Reba decals on ebay. I also found some gold "LANDING GEAR" decals and almost put them on the fork legs. Ha! The Retrotec logo on the frame is actually painted, using a decal negative as a mask and then outlining it with black paint. Russ also painted the stainless head badge the same gold. I have an extra gold Stans Flow rim, in case I taco one of these. I sometimes think about getting a gold Chris King geared rear hub and running this bike 1x9, but really don't see the need. The only problem I've had with the bike is a Chris King headset that creaks and won't stay tight. I sometimes wonder if the 120mm stem and 700mm bars are too much leverage for it? Or did I somehow permanently damage the steerer or stem by running it slightly loose on its maiden voyage at Henry Coe state park with the steerer a few millimeters too tall? (I've since replaced the CK bearing cap with a new one.) Or is it the fork crown?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2547066...7616610447050/

Nostalgia is a kind of sickness, but I do feel like I've closed a loop with this bike. And it is more than a bike to me. It's got my soul.

Since those pictures were taken I've put Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35 tires on it (fatter is better) and changed the Salsa seatpost clamp for a gold Salsa seatpost QR.

Looking forward to SSWC!

Morgan
    it hurts my eyes reading that, maybe next time space it out
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast