Trying to grow a mustache

SSWC Gearing....

I'm a weekend warrior in daddy shape running a 32x 19 on 26" wheels. No point really, I thought I'd ask you're opinion but you can't help, the info I gave was vague. You can't reverse time and get me to train more. I will walk, ride and suffer. I hope only to survive, and drink beer. I want to finish, in one piece. Which might be hard considering they've crammed around 1000 people in. I have determined the most punk thing to do would be to show up in a normal riding kit, tighty blackies and all. I'm a little scared and excited. Woot.
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man
    I'm a weekend warrior in daddy shape running a 32x 19 on 26" wheels. No point really, I thought I'd ask you're opinion but you can't help, the info I gave was vague. You can't reverse time and get me to train more. I will walk, ride and suffer. I hope only to survive, and drink beer. I want to finish, in one piece. Which might be hard considering they've crammed around 1000 people in. I have determined the most punk thing to do would be to show up in a normal riding kit, tighty blackies and all. I'm a little scared and excited. Woot.
    I'd consider a 20 or 21. I know a couple of us here on 29" wheels are moving to 22T. The course is pretty burly in my opinion.....but FUN!

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man
    If you're not in great shape, you might want to consider moving to a 20t... or bigger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't know- a 32X19 might be just about right.

With all the uber-technical and steep sections and 900+ people on the trail I think that there is going to be a lot of people off their bikes and once the guy/gal in front of you starts walking you are likely walking also. A lot of the terrain that is rideable, and some of ain't rideable no matter how burly you are, is narrow and does not offer much of an opportunity to pass. The position you wind up in among this crazed mass of humanity will probably be determined by how fast you were able to move on the more open and flatter terrain.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken
    I don't know- a 32X19 might be just about right.
    Yeah - I mean, I can clean all the rideable sections in a 32x18.... given that I don't get backed up by the guy in front, don't dab, don't go OTB, the winds are just right, have eaten and drank plenty of water, Mars is in alignment with Venus, aliens don't attack.. etc.

But for a weekend warrior out to have a good time - bigger is better

Trying to grow a mustache
    I can normally deal with my 32x17 here in 'Burque. I have an eno and am borrowing the 19t so my only option is to suffer. Let's barf together! I cannot fathom 900 people on a trail together. I'll need to bring a camera...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Talked to a friend that lives in Durango, local pro, he took a practice lap on the course on his 29er with 32x18, said he is switching to 32x20. From what else he said, it's not the climbs that scared him, it's the DH shoot that he said was crazy.

Schipperkes are cool.
    hiking shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    To all coming from out of town: Bring your own cogs. A reliable source told me that every shop in town is out of anything 20t and bigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Avenger
    To all coming from out of town: Bring your own cogs. A reliable source told me that every shop in town is out of anything 20t and bigger.
    Pedal the Peaks got a shipment in today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermosa
    Pedal the Peaks got a shipment in today.
    Good to know. See you tomorrow for the epic Blackhawk/Hermosa shuttle.

Members who have read this thread: 0