(was) Big in Japan

SSunday in SSentral Japan (photos)

It was warm and sunny for a change here today, I headed out for a SSolo ride. I live in central Japan, at the base of Mt Fuji. Nice place to live, never too cold, rarely snows, but the people all speak funny - I can barely understand them.

I was inspired by Wooglin's post this morning, so I decided to grab my camera on the way out the door. Talk is cheap, but typing is expensive, so without further ado:

1: I went up by the pond
    2: And along the creek
    3: Thanks to the logging industry for this road.
    4: Name that mountain.
    5: A sign that says "don't throw your garbage here - take it with you". Which doesnt work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 02-06-2005 at 01:31 AM. Reason: commentary
    Ride.

(was) Big in Japan

More

More pics. I would love to embed them in my text, but don't know how sorry.

1: A nice bridge. Good place to throw your garbage from.
    2: I came down the Shrine trail.
    3: Some good samaritan had groomed the trail for me. Nice of them, but I wonder why they only did they section from the road to the shrine?

After that was all too much fun to stop and take pictures. Wasnt scenic anyway, just fun to ride.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 02-06-2005 at 01:39 AM. Reason: bucket
    Ride.

Odenwaelder
    Nice pictures.

When I look out and see the wheater here in Germany

HoHo

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nice stuff Chris
    Good to see you have that SS sorted.
    I hear that Wenji has a sweet SS Chameleon waiting for her to return.
    Hope she doesn't swear at you too much the first time she has to try to SS uphill,

Thanks for the seatpost too.

(was) Big in Japan

Thanks TR,

Yep - been SSing for a while now. Was a good way to revive that frame - broke the der hanger off it a few years ago. Was a real beater until it got my hand-me-down fork and Deore Hydros - now is pretty well set up. I'd ride it all the time if the Blur want so much fun!

So Wenji is bragging about her Chameleon now, is she?
    (It took years of persuading for it to happen, just between u and me...)

You're welcome for the seatpost. Need to clear out the junk a bit. not too much other good stuff tho. Gave it all to Wenji! It has been worth it however - she's becoming the rider I always thought she could be.

Hope to hook up for a ride one day - if ever you are heading to the northern hemisphere again, stop off in Japan for a bit on the way - doesnt add anything to the ticket cost.

Cheers,

Chris

ps: I always used to tease Wenji that she was a SSer because she never used to shift gears! I reckon it'll suit her. Too strong for her own good...
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 02-07-2005 at 06:09 AM. Reason: more teasing of wenji
    Ride.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Well I would not call it bragging about her SS.
    More like, "Just got an email from Chris and he has gone and converted my Chameleon to SS on me".
    You are right about her being strong and for someone who complains so much about hills she does not seem to have much trouble with them.
    If I get back to the Northern hemisphere I have been thinking about doing jst what you have suggested. Especially if we go back to Canada as it is a good option vs stopping over in the US.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    and for someone who complains so much about

and I thought it was only when she rode with me!
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    G'day
    great to see the pics of the trails around mt fuji. reason for the message is I'll be in your area (Aichi for the Expo 20 -26 Apr) and Yokosuka (05-07 May) what are the chances of going for a spin up the hill? Email 39c@f01.navy.gov.au All the best. Steve

(was) Big in Japan

Hey there 2deans

Quote Originally Posted by 2deans
    G'day
    great to see the pics of the trails around mt fuji. reason for the message is I'll be in your area (Aichi for the Expo 20 -26 Apr) and Yokosuka (05-07 May) what are the chances of going for a spin up the hill? Email 39c@f01.navy.gov.au All the best. Steve
    Should be no problem, I am not sure of where I'll be that far ahead, but no plans at this stage. I have met a few other people who work at the Yokosuka base, they know their way around some good riding spots too.

Some of the more fun trails will have thawed out by then too.

PM me closer to the date. I'll try to remember to shoot you an email too.

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 02-08-2005 at 05:53 AM. Reason: to change something
    Ride.

mtbr remember
    hajimemashite! hey guys, what's up? I'm living in Shiga-ken right now, right on Lake Biwa. Never been to your area, but I plan on heading to Fuji-san to summit as soon as it gets nicer out. I want to head to Nagano to do some boarding too, but don't know if I'll have the time or mula this winter.
    btw- any chance that any of you know how much it is to ship a bike to Japan from North America?? Estimates?? How long, what carrier, etc. Any tips would be much appreciated. I really miss my baby and there are some killer trails around here, and the P.O.S. commuter jitensha I have isn't gonna cut it.
    hey 2deans - I'm living near some people from the US who are training for the Aichi Expo right now in Hikone-shi.
    Man, I just want to ride my bike, how much is that to ask!
    Schralp it Heavy.

(was) Big in Japan

Hajimemashite!

Hey Dude! How long are you here for? I'm from Australia, so I dont have any concrete info for you about shipping, but from my hazy memories of what friends told me, I think you have to use US Postal, and it is 2-300 bucks from the States. If you want to pick up a used bike around here check out the Yahoo Japan Auctions - that's where all the action is here.

Biwako is beautiul - I went there in Spring two years ago. The good news is that in the beginning of May, the Japanese MTB season opener is gonna be held near you - at Hakodate-yama. Got all disciplines, I MIGHT be there to race DH. Not sure yet - awaiting the return of my GF to Japan and it will be around then.

Anyway, keep in touch!

Chris
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 02-08-2005 at 06:13 AM. Reason: wayward electrons
    Ride.

mtbr remember
    Hey Chris, What's up. thanks for the info, I'll be here until June, unless something changes, but I might be in Chiba by then? yeah, $2-300 man that's rough!!! Is that in USDollars or AUS?? Could you give me a link to those Yahoo auctions?? Maybe I can afford something decent here to get me around? yeah, I've heard of Hakodate-yama, might try to go boarding there in the near future, just went to Ibuki-yama last sat. to do some snowboarding, beautiful place, highest peak in Shiga-ken too. and $30 a lift ticket isn't bad. So you ride DH?? You have a DH rig here?? How many bikes do you have here? I'm trying to build up a fr/dh rig by the end of this summer, have some parts slowly collecting from ebay, etc.- Sherman Sliders, Singletrack wheelset, bars, Thomson, etc. but no frame yet, haven't decided. I usually ride a lot of technical epics and singletrack, and a lot of Trialsin too, so I've got an NRS that's modded to heck, and and Echo Urban, along w/ an old school chromo hardtail, but the problem is that none of them are here!! I'm going through withdrawals man! Anyway, if your ever heading in this direction, just email me, I plan on heading up and summiting Fuji-san as soon as the weather gets nicer, I'd like to head to Nagano to go boarding but don't know if I'll have time or mula. Have some freinds who are heading up there this weekend w/ some chicks, but I don't feel like being the 5th wheel. Later,
    Dave
    Schralp it Heavy.

(was) Big in Japan

I've got half a bike shop!

Hey again.

I have a ton of stuff - I'll send you an email tonight, I'm off to work soon.

In the meantime check out this: http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...gory-leaf.html

Need to be able to read a bit of katakana, otherwise may need a friend's help.

Cheers,

Chris
    Ride.

mtbr remember
    hey thanks for the link, but my stupid P.O.S. computer doesn't have the Japanese Language pack installed, and I forgot my Windows XP cd, so I'm screwed when it comes to sites w/ any Nihongo.
    Schralp it Heavy.

The man who fell to earth

Awesome!

That's really beautiful single guy, you are lucky to actually live there at the base. I summited in Aug '03, what a fantastic experience (except for busting my ass on that slippery lava rock on the way down). And I'm actually surprised to see that the Japanese don't have staunch restrictions preventing people from accessing/riding bikes or heavens forbid, logging around Fuji. But then on the otherhand I was surprised at how poor their air quality was and how many Japanese smoked. It was as if the Japanese were about 30 years behind us in the rabid anti-smoking, pro-environment restrictions on nature access and pollution controls on all vehicles (including all those 2 stroke motorbikes). Give it time, in another generation I'd be willing to wager that access there will be significantly curtailed.

So what do you do there? Can you speak Japanese fluently? I had a hard time with the language, other than basic gestures. But I loved the culture and lifestyle, although a "bit crowded." Their vending machines were funny too, took me a few moments to figure out you could get hot and cold for the same beverage, just press the red or blue button. haha
    I'll have to look you up next time I visit, those trails look absolutely awesome!

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    ahh riding in japan.

i used to dig hopping on the train in shinjuku on sunday mornings and heading out to the okutama area. winter riding was definitely the best. too hot and humid in the summer. i wish i could remember the names of all of the cool places i rode in the kanto region, but i was too busy gettin drunk and chasing the girls to pay attention to where we were...

the karuizawa area is also a blast....haha.

the garbage on the trails used to piss me off to no end. then i moved to europe and see how much garbage the people here toss out on the street.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

(was) Big in Japan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy-Stardust
    That's really beautiful
    Thanks! I like living in the country. And that view isnt bad! I've been here four years now, and can get by in Japanese, but I'm by no means fluent. I need to study more blah blah blah....

Around here most of the riding is on access tails into the forest plantations of Japaese cedar, or access tracks to the tea-fields. There isnt much singletrack locally, but an hours drive away there is some fun stuff. But I'm really lucky to have what I have five minutes from my door.

Yeah, the smoking thing amazed me too, and so do so many things! Just when you think you understand something you learn another piece of the puzzle that puts you right back to square one.

And access - as long as you dont try to make tracks throught the cedar plantations they dont mind you being there at all. I tried that one and learnt the (slightly) hard way. A lot of effort for nothing. It is nice though that hikers all welcome you with a smile, and cheer you on! I REALLY appreciate that.

Enough babbling for now...
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    another reason to go to Japan......

nice pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Should be no problem, I am not sure of where I'll be that far ahead, but no plans at this stage. I have met a few other people who work at the Yokosuka base, they know their way around some good riding spots too.

Some of the more fun trails will have thawed out by then too.

PM me closer to the date. I'll try to remember to shoot you an email too.

Cheers,

Chris
    Chris
    Email me before 14 Mar if you want any goodies brought up from Aust...........VB, crownies etc??? I could even bring bike stuff if you want it

Steve

(was) Big in Japan

Thanks heaps for the offer!

If I think of anything, I will let you know. The beer is pretty good around here, and when in Rome.....drink what the Romans drink!

If you ride SPD pedals and have room, throw in your MTB shoes - the hills are BIG around here, we need all the help we can get!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by 2deans
    Chris
    Email me before 14 Mar if you want any goodies brought up from Aust...........VB, crownies etc??? I could even bring bike stuff if you want it

Steve
    Ride.