Penis Goat!

SSpecialized Hardrock conversion story with pictures

My '01 Specialized HardRock is now officially a singlespeed. After hearing MellowCat say, "You need to convert that thing to SS...a Singleator would work great on there" after every ride, I finally gave in and gave it a go. MC had a Singleator, and I grabbed two cassettes' worth of spacers and an 18t cog.

The first go around, it sucked. MC and I converted in the parking lot at his work, while I was on my way to a big group ride. I was using the original crankset on the bike with its worn, ramped chainrings, with the chain around the 32t middle ring. The tension on the chain was pretty loose and I couldn't get it tighter, so the Singleator was back a little far...since it couldn't wrap around the cog much, it skipped constantly. Fast Freddy and a couple of others always knew when I was coming...just listen for the skip!

I didn't put much into that though, since I was going to switch out the crankset anyway, with a 34t in front. This would give me more chain wrap, and I could probably push the Singleator up. So in preparation, I tore apart the HardRock and cleaned every last bolt.

It finally came back together this weekend with a new LX crankset with 34t Salsa ring, the Singleator with its push-up spring installed, a new chain, a new 18t Shimano cog, and some Avid SD-1.9 brake levers to replace the brake/shifter combos that were on it.

I had no idea if the push up would work with that gear ratio, but it was beautiful. The chain's tensioned just enough so that I can use the push up spring, and there's not enough slack for the chain to slap the stays. I got the chainline going pretty good, and it hasn't skipped a beat while testing. Instead of the PVC on both wheels for my other SS, I put the cog spacers back on, for something a little different.

Which is how it should be. I'm happily in the world of SS with both of my mt. bikes now...I thought of going with a 1x1 but kept the Hardrock, in case I feel like going 1x8 in the future. But it's good for now, and I'm looking forward to trying it out on the trail.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

gentle like
    that bike looks great. nice, nice work. a favourable read (with pics) before bed ...

I like Squishy Bikes

Yo Girch

Nice clean ride ya got there Brian,
    When is the KYSS (KentuckY Single Speed...get it ) Gathering?

I have a ride awaiting sweet [size=3]simplification [/size]

Later
    Hollis
    (Pre-kickstand removal pic, the reflectors stay until Nature calls them home)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hollis; 04-25-2004 at 08:51 PM.
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis
    Nice clean ride ya got there Brian,
    When is the KYSS (KentuckY Single Speed...get it ) Gathering?

I have a ride waiting for sweet [size=3]simplification [/size]

Later
    Hollis
    (Pre-kickstand removal pic, the reflectors stay until Nature calls them home)
    Hey Hollis,

You still in TN then? I go ride with Mellow Cat and some others down around Natural Bridge or Cave Run sometimes, I'll let you know the next time we're down there. It might be a while for me though, since I'll be working in Indiana this summer.

That's a nice ride...and perfect for conversion! I can't wait to see the finished project, make sure you post some pics.

Later,
    Brian

mtbr member

now I just need to ....

talk you into a rigid fork!

Glad to see you got the bugs worked out.

I may be at Cave this Friday, I'll let you know ahead of time.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    My '01 Specialized HardRock is now officially a singlespeed. After hearing MellowCat say, "You need to convert that thing to SS...a Singleator would work great on there" after every ride, I finally gave in and gave it a go. MC had a Singleator, and I grabbed two cassettes' worth of spacers and an 18t cog.

The first go around, it sucked. MC and I converted in the parking lot at his work, while I was on my way to a big group ride. I was using the original crankset on the bike with its worn, ramped chainrings, with the chain around the 32t middle ring. The tension on the chain was pretty loose and I couldn't get it tighter, so the Singleator was back a little far...since it couldn't wrap around the cog much, it skipped constantly. Fast Freddy and a couple of others always knew when I was coming...just listen for the skip!

I didn't put much into that though, since I was going to switch out the crankset anyway, with a 34t in front. This would give me more chain wrap, and I could probably push the Singleator up. So in preparation, I tore apart the HardRock and cleaned every last bolt.

It finally came back together this weekend with a new LX crankset with 34t Salsa ring, the Singleator with its push-up spring installed, a new chain, a new 18t Shimano cog, and some Avid SD-1.9 brake levers to replace the brake/shifter combos that were on it.

I had no idea if the push up would work with that gear ratio, but it was beautiful. The chain's tensioned just enough so that I can use the push up spring, and there's not enough slack for the chain to slap the stays. I got the chainline going pretty good, and it hasn't skipped a beat while testing. Instead of the PVC on both wheels for my other SS, I put the cog spacers back on, for something a little different.

Which is how it should be. I'm happily in the world of SS with both of my mt. bikes now...I thought of going with a 1x1 but kept the Hardrock, in case I feel like going 1x8 in the future. But it's good for now, and I'm looking forward to trying it out on the trail.

Brian

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    talk you into a rigid fork!

Glad to see you got the bugs worked out.

I may be at Cave this Friday, I'll let you know ahead of time.

MC
    I dunno about rigid...I think one's enough for now.

Thanks, I am too!

Sounds good, let me know about Friday...I might not have class that day, so I could get out early.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! nice lookin' SSteed.

i'm sure that bike is much happier since she lost all the weight! and it turns out she has a good personality, too!
    [size=1][/size]

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    i'm sure that bike is much happier since she lost all the weight! and it turns out she has a good personality, too!
    You're telling me! I could tell a huge difference the first time, after removing the shifters, derailleurs, and cassette...the back end comes up much quicker when hopping, it freaks me out. It's even lighter now that I got rid of the original boat anchor cranks, the LX's are nice.

Sounds like you're interested, wanna meet her?

The Top Cap Guy
    Welp - looks great - love the stealthy look of those cranks with the Salsa ring. Did you make your own spacers to keep using double bolts on the cranks? Now I'll never hear you coming up behind me on the trail.... except when I hear someone hit a tree and look back and still see you getting your frequent flyer miles....lol Also are those the 10mm bolts on the cranks - did they come with the crank or bottom bracket?

Even on the big ride with it skipping - you were smoking other bikers with no trouble! I hate to see you now!

I like the spacer set up! now your a Dual SS rider!

Congrats - nice build!

Later
    FF

PS - Don't tell MC but I'd keep the fork on that bike....
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    You're telling me! I could tell a huge difference the first time, after removing the shifters, derailleurs, and cassette...the back end comes up much quicker when hopping, it freaks me out. It's even lighter now that I got rid of the original boat anchor cranks, the LX's are nice.

Sounds like you're interested, wanna meet her?
    Girchy,

Where are you working in Indiana? I could hook up with you for some SS rides, if you are looking to get some rides in Indiana. I am in Columbus and ride mostly in Brown County (Nebo Ridge, Gnaw Bone Camp, Valley Branch Retreat).

The website for the Hoosier Mountain Biking Association is hmba.org and is a good source to find a ride.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    .....the sSpecialized HR does indeed make a very fun SS!...

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Welp - looks great - love the stealthy look of those cranks with the Salsa ring. Did you make your own spacers to keep using double bolts on the cranks? Now I'll never hear you coming up behind me on the trail.... except when I hear someone hit a tree and look back and still see you getting your frequent flyer miles....lol Also are those the 10mm bolts on the cranks - did they come with the crank or bottom bracket?

Even on the big ride with it skipping - you were smoking other bikers with no trouble! I hate to see you now!

I like the spacer set up! now your a Dual SS rider!

Congrats - nice build!

Later
    FF

PS - Don't tell MC but I'd keep the fork on that bike....
    Thanks for the complements! I do really like how the cranks look...and yes, those are the 10mm bolts, and they came with the cranks. The only crappy thing is that I can't use my crank pullers with them, there's nothing on the BB for the push thing to grab, so it goes through the hollow spindle. Looks cool, but at a price...I'll have to find a metal circle to put in there or something.

And yes, I did make those spacers...I found some washers at Lowe's that are the right inner diameter and thickness, but they're too large on the outside...so I had to Dremel off a chunk on each one. I did the same thing on my Mongoose's cranks, so I know it works ok.

Yeah, my stealthiness is gone now, except for the crashing thing. Be quiet. At least I'll be able to focus more on the ride now, and not the chain skipping like a light tonearm on a wavy 45.

And I'm definately keeping the fork on there, no matter what he says...I've gone as far as I want on that bike conversion wise, and I like that fork!

Hope to ride with you soon,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    Where are you working in Indiana? I could hook up with you for some SS rides, if you are looking to get some rides in Indiana. I am in Columbus and ride mostly in Brown County (Nebo Ridge, Gnaw Bone Camp, Valley Branch Retreat).

The website for the Hoosier Mountain Biking Association is hmba.org and is a good source to find a ride.
    Fett,

I'll be working in Chandler, and living in Boonville. Too bad there's no real direct route, so it's a decent 2.75 hour drive I reckon'. I think I saw on a map that they're planning to build an interstate from Evansville to Indy, fat lot of good it does me now though!

However, I do have a couple of good friends who are co-op'ing at Cummins in Columbus this summer, so I'll definately try and visit them. If so, a ride will be in order. I'll let you know when I'm heading up.

Thanks for the website information, I've bookmarked it...I was looking for something like that.

Keep in touch,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    .....the sSpecialized HR does indeed make a very fun SS!...
    So I'm learning...that's a damn nice ride you have there! I like how you found the 'magic' ratio for your chainstays, mine ended up being something crazy. The tensioner's not bad though.

HardRocks are good bikes, I've found...inexpensive, and quite durable.