Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    get down!

SSers: what crank to get?

I'm building an SS at the moment... I've already bought a fetish fixation, manitou black fork, hayes hmx-1 mech. discs and an easton ec70 stem. I'm stuck on the crank here... doesn't seem to be many options, especially what's in my budget.

I was looking at this truvativ firex SS crankset that comes with a gigapipe team sl bottom bracket (here ). It all seemed good till I read the review of the BB on this site and everyone says it sucks! Can anyone recommend a SS crank/BB combo that I can get for 100 or less shipped?

What are you guys runnin? What lengths would you recommend for around a 2:1 ratio and a 5"9 rider?
    Last edited by cjh_mtb; 07-16-2005 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

square taper crank, or LX,XT

Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I'm building an SS at the moment... I've already bought a fetish fixation, manitou black fork, hayes hmx-1 mech. discs and an easton ec70 stem. I'm stuck on the crank here... doesn't seem to be many options, especially what's in my budget.

I was looking at this truvativ firex SS crankset that comes with a gigapipe team sl bottom bracket (here ). It all seemed good till I read the review of the BB on this site and everyone says it sucks! Can anyone recommend a SS crank/BB combo that I can get for 100 or less shipped?

What are you guys runnin? What lengths would you recommend for around a 2:1 ratio and a 5"9 rider?
    I'd say get a decent square taper crank and a xt un52 BB, this way your bb bearings will last a while and you can get a crank and BB for pretty cheap. Also a LX or XT octalink crank is also good, and I've had good luck with the splined octalink XT BB and crank, since they are not making them anymore you might be able to find a good deal.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    good advice. I run the XT (752 I think) Octalink on my trailbike and they have had zero problems. I like them a lot.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    I'd say get a decent square taper crank and a xt un52 BB, this way your bb bearings will last a while and you can get a crank and BB for pretty cheap. Also a LX or XT octalink crank is also good, and I've had good luck with the splined octalink XT BB and crank, since they are not making them anymore you might be able to find a good deal.
    what is mean by square taper? This is the first bike I will be building... all I know about cranks and what I need is that my frame (fetish fixation) has a 68mm BB housing

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    what is mean by square taper? This is the first bike I will be building... all I know about cranks and what I need is that my frame (fetish fixation) has a 68mm BB housing
    square taper:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    splined:

To legit to quit
    you should get some red race face cranks
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I'd get the Sugino XD300 and an UN-73 BB. You can get both new for under $100.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

get down!
    dans- :drool: I wish I could afford that beauty

TOG - so the taper only affects which crankarms I can use, correct?

drevil- I'll check em out

thanks for the advice, keep it comin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can also check out theFMF Crank with a Salsa ring, also from AEBike.

You are right that the square taper affects what crank you can choose. There are cranks available at every level that use the square taper, from the FMF's mentioned above up to the White Industries ENO. The square taper interface is technically not as stiff as a splined interface, but it is not something that most people notice. As stated above, the bearings tend to last longer on a good square taper BB than on a similar splined BB. Make sure that you torque your crankarm bolts correctly to avoid damaging your new arms. Retorque them after you ride the first time.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk
    You can also check out theFMF Crank with a Salsa ring, also from AEBike.

You are right that the square taper affects what crank you can choose. There are cranks available at every level that use the square taper, from the FMF's mentioned above up to the White Industries ENO. The square taper interface is technically not as stiff as a splined interface, but it is not something that most people notice. As stated above, the bearings tend to last longer on a good square taper BB than on a similar splined BB. Make sure that you torque your crankarm bolts correctly to avoid damaging your new arms. Retorque them after you ride the first time.
    thanks for the advice and site, aebikes is great! Can I use any bmx crank for SS as long as it fits my BB? I previously imagined some of the standards were different...

To legit to quit
    dans- :drool: I wish I could afford that beauty

TOG - so the taper only affects which crankarms I can use, correct?

drevil- I'll check em out

thanks for the advice, keep it comin
    The arms were $86.88 shipped and they looked like this when they came.
    Last edited by dansjustchillin; 07-18-2005 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    Do they come in blue?

btw - have an answer to the question i asked above bout bmx cranks?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is no general answer to your question about BMX cranks. There are some that will work easily with your bike, those with European-style BB and square taper or splined interfaces, like the cranks mentioned above. There are some that will work with a little more difficulty, those with adjustable European-style BB and different interfaces, like some of the Profile models used by others on this board. These are generally out of the price range you are looking at. There are BMX cranks that will not work with your bike, most one-piece cranks, and those with American-style BB.

Hope this helps.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk
    There is no general answer to your question about BMX cranks. There are some that will work easily with your bike, those with European-style BB and square taper or splined interfaces, like the cranks mentioned above. There are some that will work with a little more difficulty, those with adjustable European-style BB and different interfaces, like some of the Profile models used by others on this board. These are generally out of the price range you are looking at. There are BMX cranks that will not work with your bike, most one-piece cranks, and those with American-style BB.

Hope this helps.
    are you saying that as long as it fits the 68mm/113mm BB in my frame, it will work?

To legit to quit
    Do they come in blue?

btw - have an answer to the question i asked above bout bmx cranks?
    i dunno i didnt think they came in red until they popped up. with the way bmx has been going more and more frames are being made with euro bb shells, so you can get a conversion kit for just about any bmx crank out there.

get down!
    what length would you guys recommend for a 5"9 rider? I understand a longer length means you could apply more torque, but is 175mm long enough to make a 5"9 guy uncomfortable?

Enjoying Every Sandwich
    what length would you guys recommend for a 5"9 rider? I understand a longer length means you could apply more torque, but is 175mm long enough to make a 5"9 guy uncomfortable?

5'7" here and run the 170 TruVativ Stylos (w/ISIS BB)........I like 'em. With a 33x16 ratio, it works well for me and where I usually ride.

Steamroller

Try Ebay

I have bought at least 3 decent, brand new cranks there in the last few months. Most recent were 2 pair of Black 175mm Shimano Deores for octalink BB for about $45 each the BB for them would be between 20-30. I found some Truvative 5D square taper cranks for $35, but they seem to have dried up. You can also check the MTBR classifieds.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    Where did you order them from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I'd get the Sugino XD300 and an UN-73 BB. You can get both new for under $100.
    This is your best value IMHO. I personally use the XD500/UN-73 combo on my Spot SS, but only because I couldn't find the XD300 at the time. As a consolation, I sold the rings to my roadie friends.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by MudInMyEars
    This is your best value IMHO. I personally use the XD500/UN-73 combo on my Spot SS, but only because I couldn't find the XD300 at the time. As a consolation, I sold the rings to my roadie friends.
    2nd Sugino cranks. or 3rd I guess. I just got some Sugino RD cranks for my SS roadie and was pleasantly surprised with the very nice quality and weight for the price. I will never consider another brand crank since the entire setup costs less than the outer chainring on an XTR crankset and they work just as well.

I'm no clyde but they feel just as stiff as my xtr cranks.

with a 48T chainring attached they felt lighter than my XTR cranks with a 34T ring. I didn't weigh them though cuz I don't really care to know the exact weight.
    Last edited by Spookykinkajou; 07-19-2005 at 05:44 PM.

get down!
    I have one more question regarding this matter... how does the length of BB affect my decision? I know the frame I have takes a 68mm diameter, but if i'm running a crank with just one cog for SS, how do I determine what length to choose?

Tribe Member
    Most times you need to run a113mm B/B for a single speed setup. I have that setup and it works but it can also depend on your chain line. Are you using a dedicated SS hub with a screw on BMX freewheel or a regular mtb rear wheel that uses a cassette?

You need to have the correct chain line because if you dont, it will slip off the cog and you will run your knees into your handlebars.

What type of frame are you using? SS specific or one with a der hanger?
    What type of wheels?
    Your crank with deterimine your BB length

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    Most times you need to run a113mm B/B for a single speed setup. I have that setup and it works but it can also depend on your chain line. Are you using a dedicated SS hub with a screw on BMX freewheel or a regular mtb rear wheel that uses a cassette?

You need to have the correct chain line because if you dont, it will slip off the cog and you will run your knees into your handlebars.

What type of frame are you using? SS specific or one with a der hanger?
    What type of wheels?
    Your crank with deterimine your BB length

Rich
    I have an SS specific frame (Fetish Cycles - fixation) with a horizontal droput. The crank I will be likely to get is
    this one. I have not decided what type of rear cog I will be using - I still don't quite understand the differences between a freewheel, ss cassette, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast