mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New question here. SSers from DC visiting Northern CA

My boyfriend and I are heading to Northern CA for 10 days at the beginning of August for my cousins wedding in Eureka (Humboldt/Redwood area). Evan and I want to take our bikes, rent a car, and do some camping/mt.biking. Does anyone have any suggestions for good trails for SSers? I need to decide if we are going to fly into Sacramento or Reno--Eureka is 5 hours from the nearest big airport, and how to transport the bikes once we are there. We'll have our cases/boxes and camping gear so are wondering if there are rental car companies that offer cars with bike racks. Does anyone know? We wonder if we'd be better off renting some geared bikes out there. SS is all we have. Wouldn't know the first thing about renting bikes for advanced mt.biking.

Any suggestions/advice would be most appreciated. We live in the DC area and would be happy to host/return the favor for anyone coming this way to ride in VA. We've got some awesome trails around here and a great biking community. Thanks!

Kate (kateflore@yahoo.com)

I am the owl
    Just a tip:
    If you take your bikes, I would ship your bikes FedEx. It is about half the cost as it would be to take them on the plane and you can insure them for full value (you can't do that on the plane). Use a bike box from a shop and you can break it down flat for storage during the trip, then rebuild for the return.

As far as transporting the bikes, rent a van or SUV and stuff them in the back.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fly in on Alaska/Horizon

You can fly right in to Eureka/Arcata airport on alska/horizon airlines or united.

mtbr member
    Traveling with bike cases is a pain (and more expensive), so I second riderx's suggestion. Ship the bikes FedEx, but don't skimp on the insurance. I've had a bike completely mangled once. If you can ship to a business address, I've *heard* it will be a bit cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would see if there is a local bicycle shop in the area that you could send it to. I think Revolution Bicycles is either in Arcata or in Eureka. You will definitely love the riding out there as it is fabulous. Just did the 12 Hours of Humboldt there last weekend at the Arcata Community Forest behind Humboldt University in Arcata and the singletrack there is first rate. Bring plenty of teeth for your cog as there are plenty of hills to be found. The 9 mile lap had 1,700 feet of climbing on it and the guys that put it on said they could have easily put in another 400 by adding a couple of miles. If you enjoy riding fast, fun singletrack through beautiful majestic redwood forests in temperatures just under 70 degrees then you ought to have a hell of a good time. I'd try to contact the user "Bigfoot" here as he is a local there and race promotor and knows all of the local shops/groups and might be able to give some suggestions as to who might put you up in exchange or who might be able to receive the bike shipment. You could also get hold of him through www.teambigfoot.net as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Travel plans thus far

Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions. I've just purchased airline tickets in and out of Sacramento for August 5-12.
    1. Decided to rent bikes
    2. Have to be in Eureka Sat. night and Sunday
    3. Want to ride a variety of trails--we love winding singletrack--love the switchbacks and rocky terrain--We'd like to ride Downiville and somewhere in the Redwoods.

Can any of you help with the following?
    1. 4-5 more trails that are must rides (we want to spend the majority of the trip riding and drinking beer of course!0

2. Camping suggestions (near trails?)

3. Places near mt.bike trails to kayak--river

Thanks so much!!