Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SS Wheel sets - recommendations?

Let me preface this with my reason for posting a wheel set question on the SS forums: I'm looking for a wheel set with a SS specific rear hub. I'm riding a SS, I own a geared bike, I don't care about added resale or flexibility or being able to change this bike to geared - I think the extra room afforded to reduce dish on the rear by using a single speed specific hub allows for a significant increase in strength. As such I'm only looking for recommendations that include a SS specific rear hub.

My current SS is the Nashbar 29er, with some brake upgrades. I knew all along that the wheels were nothing special. In fact, I knew they were boat anchors. Now I want to be clear, at 6'3" and 210 lbs I'm not in weight weenie territory. But when I was repairing a broken nipple the other day on the back wheel, while I had the tire and tube off, I weighed the wheel - it's 1700 grams. Now, yes, that had the rear cog still on, but still. That's a boat anchor.

What I'm looking for is - a full wheel set - front and rear - with a 9mm QR front, SS specific hub on the rear that's under $500, reliable, and significantly lighter than these. My research suggests that shouldn't be difficult except for the SS specific hub part. I'm not sure I really care about tubeless at this point, it might be a nice option to keep in back in case I decide to try it, but I'll consider non TR wheels.

My one odd ball request is this - if you post a pre-built wheel set, post a link to some place with your under $500 price.

I'd like to put some new wheels on this sled for off road stuff by the first of the year, and put some old worn out tires or slicks or something on the boat anchors for riding roads or bike paths with the kids. Thanks for the help.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    With an Eno freewheel, you can have Velocity Blunt SLs built to WI hubs, tubeless ready for under $500.

VELOCITY BLUNT SL MTB SINGLE SPEED WHEEL SET PACKAGES by Velocity Semi Custom for $380.00

mtbr member
    I bought my used set for $600...king's with flows ... and they have been awesome. The funbolts are solid as hell, and it came with a king cog, spacers, and lockring. They are the originsal flows. not the ex. If I were building them up for my riding style with what's current from stans, it would be king front and rear on arch ex.

I'm about 215 and they have held up well on my ss rigid riding pretty technical...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    My rear hub is the Kick-Flip from Only-Highend. The black one is on the second page. At about 110 USD price and good quality I think it's a killer deal. I have one on my SS 29er and another on my belt drive street bike. With DT Comps and Stan's Flow EX's you'd be looking at a rear wheel that weighs about 1000 grams, is plenty strong and wide, allows tubeless and doesn't break the bank.

A 9mm QR front hub should be easier to find so I won't get into that.

mtbr member
    I'd go stans also - riding the original flows now and I love them. I built mine up around surly's singlespeed hubs to save money, and I've been thoroughly impressed. They aren't the lightest things, and the bearings aren't terrific (suspect they can be upgraded) but the shells themselves are super strong. I've been happy enough with them that I'm planning to take apart my old wheels (built around the same hubs) and use the hubs to build up a set of the new arch EX's.

Richard's Bicycles is selling the stans wheelsets built around XT hubs for really cheap on ebay ($350 - NEW CUSTOM STANS ZTR ARCH EX 29ER DISC MOUNTAIN BIKE WHEELSET SHIMANO XT HUBS | eBay) - you might drop them a message and see if they would swap in a SS hub for you.

You will definitely want a WI freewheel eventually but you could probably start out with an ACS freewheel to keep initial cost down as well - just don't plan on that freewheel lasting more than 1000 miles.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Talk to Bob at BikerBob.com almost all of his Stan's wheelsets are under $500, including the SS specific rear hub. I really like mine...

mtbr member
    You can buy a wheelset from Stan's No Tube for $550. Their hubs are more than fine and the set will be reasonably light, as long as you don't with the FlowEx.
    Last edited by Climber999; 11-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Hand built Surly/DT/Mavic with White Industries freewheel from Universal Cycles
    Universal Cycles -- Surly SS Ultra New/Mavic Tn719d Rear Wheel - 29"
    Universal Cycles -- Surly Disc/Mavic TN719d Front Wheel - 29"
    Universal Cycles -- White Industries ENO Freewheels

Add "turkey15" code for a 15% discount and your total is $384.20 plus shipping
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    nvmd, had a Hope/Crest suggestion, but just saw the weight requirements.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to see some of the wheels I was looking at listed here as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Out of all the wheels I've build it would go with Mavic or Stan's. Mavic's build a better wheel IMHO but both are great choices. I have Arch EX on my SS, Flows on my both of my FS.

I have the Hope SS hub and I really like it, some people hate the sound of them though.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

If Chris King, I like my Stainless Steel Drive shell, rather than Aluminum

As far as sound on these high end hubs, I like it. It took time to love it. Now I do. My new thrasher/road wheelset that I bought is quiet, and I want to put my noisy hubs back on and hit the dirt.

mtbr member
    I have the American Classic SS 29r wheel set. Super light weight. I notice a huge difference when running these wheels as opposed to my Hope/Arch wheelset (off my geared HT, I sometimes run on my SS). The AC wheel set is light enough to allow me 1-2 teeth more on the rear cog. Seriously, no BS.
    AC used to have a weight rating for this wheelset of 215 lbs max. I am 250 and have had no issues yet, with two years on the wheelset under my bulk. As of now, I can not find any mention of weight ratings on the AC website.
    Now here is the kicker. I bought them off of the MTBR claassifieds for $450, with tires. There is a bunch of AC wheelsets on Fleabay in the $500 range.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hadley SS/Stan's Arch

mtbr member
    I came in a little above your budget with my build: i23 hoops, Hope hubs (ss/trials rear), and DT comp spokes. Would have been under $500 if I laced them myself instead of spending $70 have a builder do it for me.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Stans with single speed rear. I have about 1.5 years on mine with no issues.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I have the American Classic SS 29r wheel set. Super light weight. I notice a huge difference when running these wheels as opposed to my Hope/Arch wheelset (off my geared HT, I sometimes run on my SS). The AC wheel set is light enough to allow me 1-2 teeth more on the rear cog. Seriously, no BS.
    AC used to have a weight rating for this wheelset of 215 lbs max. I am 250 and have had no issues yet, with two years on the wheelset under my bulk. As of now, I can not find any mention of weight ratings on the AC website.
    Now here is the kicker. I bought them off of the MTBR claassifieds for $450, with tires. There is a bunch of AC wheelsets on Fleabay in the $500 range.
    +1 on these wheels at your budget, weigh in at 1595g and are tuneless ready.

mtbr member
    Ok, great feedback guys, thanks. I looked at a lot of what you all mentioned (The AC's were on my list prior to posting this thread) and talked to the guys at my LBS. They threw me a slider and came in at a little more than 500 including building the wheels, so I'm going to let them take the shot.

Pacenti TL28 hoops
    DT 1.8/2.0 spokes

They won't tell me what hub they're using, but they promise I'll like it. If it was anyone else I'd tell them where to land, but I like these guys, so we'll see. I'll update when get my paws on them.

mtbr member
    I would make them tell me what hubs they plan on using if I am shelling out more than a couple hundred for a build.
    Last edited by A1an; 11-30-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    They threw me a slider and came in at a little more than 500 including building the wheels, so I'm going to let them take the shot.

Pacenti TL28 hoops
    DT 1.8/2.0 spokes

They won't tell me what hub they're using, but they promise I'll like it. If it was anyone else I'd tell them where to land, but I like these guys, so we'll see. I'll update when get my paws on them.
    What happens if the hubs are cheap, poor engagement, etc? You should know what you are paying for up front.

mtbr member
    It's part of trusting them. It's also part of them making a promise. My suspicion is they're using something that's a distributor "house brand" that people shy away from because "they're cheap" - but that's actually solid. It's like ...Origin-8. They're J&B's house brand. So you think, cheap crap. But if you buy an Origin-8 rotor, it's actually an Ashima rotor.

mtbr member
    Right, but at that price you are paying (or maybe a little more) you are in Hope hub and Stans hoops territory if you source the parts yourself. Much better than "house brand" which may be nice functional hubs, but not at that build price imo.

Hope it works out. Let us know what hubs they include in the build.
    Last edited by A1an; 12-03-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    WI hubs, WI freewheel, db spokes, and Mavic TN719 rims.

(....good ole Stan. My hat is off to Stan for 'inventing' his no-tube product in his garage. I also like that he made his own instructional videos.... I wouldn't dare suggest that his rims are not as good as my buddies claim, but I'll stick with Mavic that has a history of quality and reliability.)

mtbr member
    Well, I got to hold the hubs in my hands yesterday. Weight wise, they were about what I expected, bearings were smooth, engagement on the rear was good - they look and feel like quality hubs. So, who makes quality hubs with no brand marking on them?

I think I know what they are, just by looking at the profile of the rear hub, and if I'm right, then I was absolutely right to trust these guys - it's a better set of hubs than I would get if I did it myself. But I knew they could do better than me, and would do me right. Of course, I'll let you all know more about them as I find out for sure what they are.

mtbr member
    Just to update, the wheels are done. It's been too wet to ride any single track here, but the hubs are WI by size, weight and shape. Changing wheels dropped two pounds two ounces from the bike with the stock wheels. Can't wait to ride them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast