mtbr member

SS w/ Rear V Brake & Front Disc?

I have an '04 Chameleon on the way, getting built up SS.

I've decided, that to avoid any headaches with trying to get a rear disc working properly, that I would go with a rear V-Brake and run a Hope Mono Mini up front. After all, the front is the only place I want modulation.

The ONLY thing that turns me off about V-Brakes on the rear is the fact that if the wheel goes out of true a bit, it affects braking performance.

So my question is... is it less likely that the rear would go out of true since it's going on an SS hub (thus making a dishless wheel)?

I don't think it will be a problem, although I am going with a 32 hole config, whereas my last bike was 36 (but after breaking my neck i don't plan on casing it as hard this time around).

Anyone here ride hard with V's and have problems with warpy wheels screwing with brake performace?

Steamroller

rear Vs OK so far

Quote Originally Posted by Scotian Lotion
    So my question is... is it less likely that the rear would go out of true since it's going on an SS hub (thus making a dishless wheel)?

Anyone here ride hard with V's and have problems with warpy wheels screwing with brake performace?
    Yes it will be stronger with the SS hub. I'm 245# and have been running 32 hole SS wheels with rear V brakes for a year and have only had to do minor truing. Never came close to wheels causing brake problems. I'm not the smoothest rider out there either, and don't have high end wheels.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey Scotian, I am planning my conversion to disk right now as well. I wondered how you made the decision to run the Hope disks up front? I am also going to run V's in the rear, I think it should be fine, I am a 90% front brake user. I think from riding motorcycles for so many years. It would be sweet to get some brakes like that ...2 10" rotors on the front wheel! So anyway give me your thoughts on making a front disk brake choice. I am thinking maybe the Avid Juicy Sevens, but would love some help making the choice. thanks
    "Take it easy, if it's easy...take it again"

USB Rep'n
    Scotian, I am doing the same setup (only using mechs up front) on my Chameleon. My buddy has been riding this setup on his Kona SS for about a year now with no issues at all. He originally had v's up front and back and simply switching the front made all the difference. I've ridden his Kona and it feels as good as my Blizz as far as braking power (and we ride in cr@p most of the year here in Ohio).

As for the wheel, the dishless SS wheel will definitely be stronger but it's also added incentive (the v's that is) to get supper smooth on your style at the jumps . Im using some XT/Rhyno Lites (36h) for my rear wheel and hav had no problems so far (I do a lot of drops to flat on them fyi so they get abused bad). Anyway, you'd have to get waaaay outta true to really lose much braking power so I wouldn't sweat it.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

formerly Giantxc
    cjpavlov, I'm running a front disc/rear-v set up on both my SS and my gearied hardtail. On the SS I'm using a Juicy 7 and a Hope Mini on the gearie. Of the 2, I'd recommend the Juicy over the Hope. Even though the Hope is a very nice brake, the Juicy feels more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by cjpavlov
    Hey Scotian, I am planning my conversion to disk right now as well. I wondered how you made the decision to run the Hope disks up front? I am also going to run V's in the rear, I think it should be fine, I am a 90% front brake user. I think from riding motorcycles for so many years. It would be sweet to get some brakes like that ...2 10" rotors on the front wheel! So anyway give me your thoughts on making a front disk brake choice. I am thinking maybe the Avid Juicy Sevens, but would love some help making the choice. thanks

mtbr member
    I ran dual discs on my last bike, but since I'm not running gears and don't want to use a chain tensioner on my chameleon, then I don't want the hassle of getting the rear disc setup working properly. V in the rear will just be nice and simple and be lighter as well (Avid Single Digit Ultimate).

I'm going disc in the front because most of your stopping power is up front. Discs are generally unaffected by wet conditions (unlike V's) and discs have better modulation (for doing stoppies).

I'm going with the mono mini because I like the look of them, when setup well they work very well and they're very light.

USB Rep'n
    I ran dual discs on my last bike, but since I'm not running gears and don't want to use a chain tensioner on my chameleon, then I don't want the hassle of getting the rear disc setup working properly. V in the rear will just be nice and simple and be lighter as well (Avid Single Digit Ultimate).

I'm going disc in the front because most of your stopping power is up front. Discs are generally unaffected by wet conditions (unlike V's) and discs have better modulation (for doing stoppies).

I'm going with the mono mini because I like the look of them, when setup well they work very well and they're very light.
    stoppies are really cool unless you stoppie a little too much (yes, I know from experience - lol!)
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job!

FWIW, i had absolutely no problems getting my avid discs to work with the '04 chameleon. yes, the disc tab is fixed while the dropouts slide, but at both 32:18 and 34:20 it lines up fine. i didn't adjust anything out of the "normal" spec for setup.

running v's to avoid a headache that isn't likely to occur seems like a questionable move, but hey, it's your bike.
    [size=1][/size]

mtbr member
    Well I will be changing chain and cog on a regular basis, they will be different ratios than what you specify and I'm not running Avid mechs.

V's are lighter and discs in the rear aren't that advantageous, especially when the majority of my riding will be urban (grinding, fakies, etc.). Screw the hassle of setting up disc on the rear... if you have a flawless setup, you're not a typical case, I think most have problems and headache.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

2 things...

Well I will be changing chain and cog on a regular basis, they will be different ratios than what you specify and I'm not running Avid mechs.

V's are lighter and discs in the rear aren't that advantageous, especially when the majority of my riding will be urban (grinding, fakies, etc.). Screw the hassle of setting up disc on the rear... if you have a flawless setup, you're not a typical case, I think most have problems and headache.
    1. the length of the horizontals is very short on this frame, much shorter than on my bianchi diss. therefore, you only have a small range for the axle to move within and be bolted onto. the range is so small, in fact, that except for a wheel placement at the extreme rear end of the horizontals, the caliper should still be able to grab plenty of rotor.

2. i don't know a damn thing about any disc brakes but avids, but i do have my frame, built up and ridden a couple hundred miles with no problems. i'm just saying that your speculation about the difficulties of running a rear disc on this frame, without basis in experience, might not be as compelling as you'd like to think.

whether discs are or are not advantageous for your riding style aside, i assure you it's not a big deal to run avid discs on this frame.
    [size=1][/size]