mtbr member

SS vrs 1x11 Cross post from Ibis forum

Last edited by ancient rascal; 05-30-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    We don't ride Kennedy because it's easy ... We ride it because it's hard!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So many variables..... But sounds like a fun project. Nice Ibis, by the way. Almost bought an Ibis Tranny last year. They're sure nice-looking bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    So many variables..... But sounds like a fun project. Nice Ibis, by the way. Almost bought an Ibis Tranny last year. They're sure nice-looking bikes.
    Thanks man! I think it may be close times. I have 3 points of reference to check including a halfway tree area. Done it for time over the years maybe 30 runs but all on the SS ... never on a geared bike. Tomorrow morning maybe run #1 for the 1x11.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree-I think your times will be very similar. It's really 99% rider, anyway.

mtbr member
    Finally did a run but only had the energy for 1/2 way up the mountain. 10 to 12% slower on the Ripley on a warm day with a worn rider. I do the next run on a cool morning after a few days of rest. Won't be easy to beat the SS times me thinks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Your suspension and weight on the Ibis is playing a bigger role than the number of gears. Do you lock out the suspension? I have a hill near me that I can easily crank out 4 consecutive intervals on with the rigid SS at 22lbs, but I'm shattered if I do the same on the 26lb geared bike with the fork open. The gap gets significantly narrower if I lock the fork out.

And at the risk of getting kicked off this board, I'm faster up a 19% grade climb named Puke Hill on my geared bike. I usually do that climb at the end of my ride though, so I blame it on being fresher on the geared bike when I get to that climb.

mtbr member

Locked out ... yes sir !

Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Your suspension and weight on the Ibis is playing a bigger role than the number of gears. Do you lock out the suspension? I have a hill near me that I can easily crank out 4 consecutive intervals on with the rigid SS at 22lbs, but I'm shattered if I do the same on the 26lb geared bike with the fork open. The gap gets significantly narrower if I lock the fork out.

And at the risk of getting kicked off this board, I'm faster up a 19% grade climb named Puke Hill on my geared bike. I usually do that climb at the end of my ride though, so I blame it on being fresher on the geared bike when I get to that climb.
    That crappy run I did was done by a worn out 3rd day in a row rider. Was rested and ready for the timed run on Friday but was lured away. Josh gave me the grand tour of a local haunt I was unaware of. The Canyon/ Monte Bello. Man the Rip shined on that huge ... for me ride. Thanks again Squashyo! ... 18 lb bike to 25 + lb bike almost has to be 5% slower even if the light one is a SS. I am looking forward to hitting it when I am well rested. One extreme to the other with those bikes!

mtbr member
    Run # 2 and with a bit of rest I shaved major time off the 25.08 with a 23.19 to the tree. The Ripley really climbs well. It may be only 5% slower than the lightweight Lynskey even with 7.5 pounds added. When I get better with the gears who knows? Time will tell. The more I ride it the more I like it. Alway's will be a SS'er also of course. Balance yin and yang eh?