mtbr member
    Sep 2004

SS for Vertical Rides in N. Utah ?

I am strongly thinking of taking the SS/29er plunge. I am 6' 5" 225lbs but one reason I am thinking of this bike is I would like to lean down to about 210lbs..I ride mostly vertical rides in N. Utah and I am concerned that I will end up pushing most of the time. Because of the bikes I currently have, I currently spend alot of time in Granny or pushing when not shuttling. I mostly ride DH shuttle rides these days as my boys have gotten heavily into DH racing. We currently don't have a single bike in our 8 bike arsenal that is less than 5" 36lb (Bighits, Stinky Primos, Cdale Chase, beefed up Enduro etc.). My thought are, that I would like to get something that is almost the complete opposite end of the spectrum from what I currently have, something quick and nimble. I am considering medium weight XC FS trailbike like a Prophet but have recently become intrigued by the SS and 29" bikes. Will these bikes hold up to a Clydesdale such as myself, as I am concerned about the 29 inch wheels. What is a reasonable expectation for climbing.For example, for those of you familiar with N. Utah could a fit individual expect to ride up the entire Mueller Park trail, or Green Pond on a 29 SS ? Lots of questions. Thanks for any help

mtbr member

you'll love it

I live in SLC and have been riding SS for 5+ years now, 29 SS (rigid KM) for a year. Mueller Park is very do-able for SS. You'll be amazed that what you once grannied up on your heavy bike will be much easier on your 29 (or 26) SS.

I also have a 5" 35+ lb custom hardtail w/ EBB that I switch between gears and SS.

I really like having both types of bikes.

My personal opinion is that rigid SS and 29er go hand in hand.

jl
    climb
    Post this same question on the 29er forum. I'm working on a 29 SS Rigid project right now. I did a few 26er SS rides before I broke my frame. It is time for bigger wheels ..
    Ride On!

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhippie
    I am strongly thinking of taking the SS/29er plunge. I am 6' 5" 225lbs but one reason I am thinking of this bike is I would like to lean down to about 210lbs..I ride mostly vertical rides in N. Utah and I am concerned that I will end up pushing most of the time. Because of the bikes I currently have, I currently spend alot of time in Granny or pushing when not shuttling. I mostly ride DH shuttle rides these days as my boys have gotten heavily into DH racing. We currently don't have a single bike in our 8 bike arsenal that is less than 5" 36lb (Bighits, Stinky Primos, Cdale Chase, beefed up Enduro etc.). My thought are, that I would like to get something that is almost the complete opposite end of the spectrum from what I currently have, something quick and nimble. I am considering medium weight XC FS trailbike like a Prophet but have recently become intrigued by the SS and 29" bikes. Will these bikes hold up to a Clydesdale such as myself, as I am concerned about the 29 inch wheels. What is a reasonable expectation for climbing.For example, for those of you familiar with N. Utah could a fit individual expect to ride up the entire Mueller Park trail, or Green Pond on a 29 SS ? Lots of questions. Thanks for any help

For what it is worth, I was worried about the same thing. In NH I do not think we have teh same elevation you have in Utah, but a lot of our ride have pretty steep ups that put me in the granny gear on my geared bike. I built a single speed (26") with 34:20 gearing, and I can make 90% of the climbs I used to spin up on my geared bike. It sounds like you have made up your mind to do it, and I do not think you will find anyone here that will talk you out of it.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I live in Clinton, and I have ridden Mueller park on my converted 26" ss. It is totally doable. I doubt there are many trails around here that couldn't be done ss with the right gearing, it just means you've gotta stand and crank! I have also ridden the BST in ogden on my FS SS and it is also doable. By the way, where do you live maybe we can do a ss ride together? let me know my email is on.