Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SS Upgraditis question: Fork or Wheelset

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  NicFitzzz 
#1 ·
Last post I could find about this was from 2009...

So, I have a SC Higball SS. Love it! But I'm looking to do a $400 - $500 upgrade.

I currently have a RS Recon Silver, and some stock WTB wheelset.

So should I:

1. Buy a new-to-me wheelset: stan's arch; Sun ringle charger; something similar

2. Buy a new-to-me fork: RS Reba; or other suggestions preferably 120mm

Or the less preferred option:

3. Stop window shopping and reading forums, then save money, go outside and ride the s*** out of what I have, and then when I have enough for both, buy a new fork w/ 15mm TA and a new wheelset to fit it, at the same time?

Only thing really keeping me from option 3 (besides my impatience and upgraditis) is that I would want to keep my old wheelset and use it for the road. If I did that my old wheels wouldn't fit the new 15mm fork. And I'd have to buy another front wheel.

I'm leaning more towards option 1 for the weight savings, but also thinking about option 2 for better weight and handling (will I be able to feel the difference between the Reba and Recon silver?).

TIA

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

So far I have:

3 votes for upgrading wheels now. Which was my original plan before I started "over-thinking" things.

+1 for wheelset. Reducing rotational mass should be priority one in the upgrade plan. Just my opinion.
Wheels can make a big difference. If you get hubs that are interchangeable you'll be able to run Q/R now and get the adapters to go 15mm when you get the fork for cheap.
I think Stan's are interchangeable, any other budget/affordable hubs/wheelsets that are interchangeable?

1 vote to ride till it's broken. Which I may end up doing if I can't find any deals on wheels.

Go ride your bike. Don't upgrade until it's broken.
1 vote to do both, but may be skewed to make a quick sale. :p

Do both! I just PM'ed you about a 120mm fork I'm selling for cheap!
What I'm getting out of this, is that my fork isn't terrible, and that the best "next" upgrade would be a wheelset.

Now to find that wheelset. Thanks for the input!

#11 ·
Those are nice. Those are on my list as well, but I haven't heard enough about them yet. Most things I've read and/or heard, point me towards the Stan's or SRingle. Anyway, they were on Craigslist in my area a few weeks ago for $400. I would have bought them right then if I had the dough. Still waiting for another used pair to show up...

#12 ·
Best upgrade I have made is to install a set of Mavic EX 729 rims. These wide rims are the lightest way to make your tire contact patch larger. And with better side wall support, you have better control than putting a larger tire on a narrow rim. Also can run lower tire pressures. All in all, the best noticable upgrade I have made.

#13 ·
They both are decent components that won't need immediate upgrade. Hubs on stock wheels, however, may need to be upgraded soon. For $500, you can get pretty nice wheels. Send Larry from Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels an email. I got my wheels (Flow, CK SS hub, 36 DT spokes) for around $680 (plus shipping) last year (when Flow rims were 50% off), and if that's any indication on his pricing, I bet Hope hubs with Stans will be close to $500.

#26 ·
I would buy wheels after trashing current set. Thrash 'em with low psi. Then use them for street tires (2nd set). My very favorite upgrade for single speed is remote lockout! But I love to climb, so the lockout feature is key on hour long climbs, the remote is key for quick climbs. I went with FOX, but the pop lock looks better.

#27 ·
I almost have $500 cash stashed away, been selling a bunch of crap (another person's treasure). Still riding up grades (yesterday was rough), but I'm out of town for a few days so I guess I'll recover. Wheels are definitely going to be the next upgrade.

Dare I ask what wheels to purchase, or should I avoid opening a can of worms...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.