mtbr member

SS specific training during off-season

Hi everyone, it will be snowing here in a month or so, making it very difficult to bike for at least 3 months. I was wondering if any of have "developed" a training regimen specifically aimed at making you a stronger SS rider. I snowshoe in the mountains during winter and cross-country ski once in a while but that's about it. So I'm wondering what you guys do to not only maintain, but to improve all aspects off SS riding.

Thanks for sharing!

Johnnydrz

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't know how all of these things work for you, and I can SS year round (just limited on trails and it is muddy...), but this is what I do to stay in shape.

I run.

I bike commute.

I'll take my fixed gear for hilly rides and try not to use the brake.

I drink lots and lots of beer.

None of this is training, just what I do year round anyway.

Old Fart

Wink

XC ski.......classic style. There's a great deal of overlap between the diagonal stride leg action and off-the-saddle SS riding. Then there's the aerobic part....unmatchable. But double pole? Not so much.......
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    I ride till the snow's too deep on the trails, then I ride on the road till it's too cold , then the bike goes on a trainer in front of the TV.

Cross training involves shoveling snow from the driveway while drinking beer.

openwound
    Road riding for the next few months. Gym workouts but no heavy leg lifting until December/January. Martial arts. I hope to do some snow shoeing this winter, too.

mtbr member
    How about a Spin Class?
    I did this for the first time the other day with the wife and while it doesn't compare to real riding, it still gave me a good high cadence workout for an hour. You do a lot of stand up mashing when you crank up the tension to simulate hills. The bikes even had SPD's on one side of the pedal.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_
    How about a Spin Class?
    I did this for the first time the other day with the wife and while it doesn't compare to real riding, it still gave me a good high cadence workout for an hour. You do a lot of stand up mashing when you crank up the tension to simulate hills. The bikes even had SPD's on one side of the pedal.
    ...and hot, sweaty chicks in the class?

Now there's motivation.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

is buachail foighneach me
    Keg stands.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    Road riding for the next few months. Gym workouts but no heavy leg lifting until December/January. Martial arts. I hope to do some snow shoeing this winter, too.
    Um... Horse Stance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ...and hot, sweaty chicks in the class?

Now there's motivation.

--sParty
    Oh yeah....I usually sign up for 6weeks of Spinning class when the snow gets 6" from the ground. Good motivational tunes while seating in back enjoying the view. Get my drift.

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Um... Horse Stance?
    I don't get anywhere near a horse stance during these months. If there's any horse stance done it's by my students...

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    I don't get anywhere near a horse stance during these months. If there's any horse stance done it's by my students...
    I like it. But I also SS...

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I like it. But I also SS...
    Don't get me wrong, I like it, too. It's just that I avoid this kind of work for a few months. I like doing horse stance, wall sits, fireman's carry, dragging a partner across the room -- all kinds of drills to strengthen the legs. Then when I get back on my ss, I'm strong like bull, or full of bull or what evs...

sorry for the thread tangent

back to our regular scheduled discussion.

PSYCHOLUST
    FAT BIKE

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I hang the bike up for 6-7 months for the winter. I ride dirt bikes, ski, snow board, cross country ski (for the dogs) and do some back country hiking/skining. I get back on the bike when the snow is gone, hurts a bit but it is nice to take a break for a while. I can't kick ass at the pro level (all the time) with this regiment but having more than one hobby is the spice of life. I like trainers as much as I like putting my nuts in a vice. See you on the mountain.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    ... I like trainers as much as I like putting my nuts in a vice. See you on the mountain.

Riding the trainer ... I'd rather watch paint dry. But spend 7 months riding in 4" deep mud... in the dark... in 38 degree rain... THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Bring it!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule
    FAT BIKE

Those things are cool. But I'm hours from snow and that looks like a fairly specialized rig.

I want to give snow shoes a try this winter which should be a little bit cheaper than another bike.

I can't ride a trainer either. I'd rather go running. And I hate running.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    But I'm hours from snow and that looks like a fairly specialized rig.
    You'd be surprised how much fun they are year round. The grin factor is quickly becoming legendary.