mtbr member
    Jun 2005

SS specific hubs

I have been riding a Niner One 9 for a few years with a Chris King SS specific rear hub. I have owned a bunch of CK stuff over the years and really appreciate the quick engagement for SS. I am selling my bike (and another full suss 29er) to build up a new SS. Right now I am leaning towards another Niner, the Air 9 carbon. I will be building the bike up to be SS with Chris King hubs, headset and bottom bracket but one of the things I like about the Air 9c is the ability to run the bike geared. I had a scandium Air 9 for years along with my One 9 and really liked having a geared hardtail. If I ever did run the new Air 9c geared it would be sometime in the future, the bike would be SS only to start. So my question is should I get a geared CK rear hub and use the spacers to run SS? I was kind of considering just building a whole new wheel for geared at some point if I wanted that option and keeping my SS set-up clean and SS specific.

Any thoughts or comments? I know building a new wheel is an unecessary expense so I don't need comments about how I should just run XT because it is bomber and cheap and.................. Thanks!
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

mtbr member
    With the Hope ss hub you can run up to six gears. Can you do that with the CK hub? If so that may be a pretty good cheap option if you don't need all 9 or 10 gears in a typical cassette.
    Signature

Low Rep Count
    If it was me I would use the SS hub right off the bat. If you decide that you want to go geared down the road, just pick up a used 29er rear wheel. You can buy em cheap on the bay or work on building up another set down the road.

Then again, this is coming from a guy that only has an SS.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    you ride like an epileptic ape in full gran mal...so i'd go for zero dish (stronger) and build up a geared rear later...

or you could 'inbetween' it and throw a 5/6 pinned cluster on the rear of a zero dish wheel w/ SS freehub
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    A dedicated SS hub sure keeps it pretty, If you think you are going to go geared and dont have the budget for two seperate dream wheels then I say go with a geared hub and use spacers

mtbr member
    A geared King carries the same full internal function as a SS King besides the difference in flange diameter. By the way, I believe the SS King as less dish, not zero dish. Have you taco-ed a wheel on a geared hub yet? I'm not so sure if the strength gain is significant, can anyone comment on this?

As for purity, if components may define your SS purity, then go ahead and get a SS King. I am at heart a single-speeder and I believe I need nothing else to define myself as a true grit one. We all share the same struggle in SS-ing, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why not keep your current king wheelset and build a new geared hub?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Great comments folks! My answers in no particular order: No I have never tacoed a wheel, of any kind. I would keep my current wheelset, except then I am parting out my bike instead of selling complete and that has left a bad taste in my mouth before, not going down that road again. Right or wrong I am selling the bike complete. I am not looking to define my SS purity or anything else for that matter. My antics over the years have already defined me whether I like it or not. 5 or 6 geaers out back may be sufficient but it isn't my style. Chances are this bike will start as and remain a single speed. If at some point I decide to make it geared, I am going for the full complement of gears. Hope makes the best brakes around in my opinion, but their hubs not so much. I have already settled on Chris King because I like them a lot, and I own the King tool so service is a snap and I can do it in my sleep at this point.

So, I think you have all helped me to make my decision. Chris King SS specific! If at some point I want gears, I will have to step up and buy a new wheel, and derailuers, and shifters, and chainrings. Sounds like it will stay a SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Read this:
    Six Speed MTB - Pvdwiki

I believe a CK SS hub only fits 5 cogs, but you could easily do a 1x5, 2x5 or even 3x5 and get an adequate gear choices with some careful thought and consideration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    Read this:
    Six Speed MTB - Pvdwiki

I believe a CK SS hub only fits 5 cogs, but you could easily do a 1x5, 2x5 or even 3x5 and get an adequate gear choices with some careful thought and consideration.
    You may be right, it doesn't much matter as I am not now nor will I ever be interested in 5 or 6 gears out back. If I run gears it will most likely be a 3x10 or possibly 2x10, definitely not 1x5 or or 2x5 or 3x5.

mtbr member
    Just run a standard King hub w/ spacers, not as clean looking as a dedicated SS hub for sure, but functionality over aesthetics could be a better option. And since your proposed SS frame will be compatible with gears I'd run a hub that would take a full cassette. With that being said, I run the Hadley SS hub, it's amazing, and in 3 years now of running a gear capable SS (Paragon Sliders) I've never actually put gears on it.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    I think your on the right track to go with the King SS rear wheel and later when your looking to add the gears you pick up a rear King wheel (or build one) to use. Then you can try your Niner Air9C as a 1-10, 2-10, 3-10 and see what you like best.
    I actually ride the SS in the winter when my rides are shorter and the trailes are a little messy then swap to the 2-10 for the longer summer months and hit the races.
    What ever you do the King is a great wheelset and you should have them for years and with that frame its like having two bikes in one.
    Pedal Dammit!

SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Dec 2011
    ATMO: the Drive shell (Al) is a little "soft" if you run spacers- You might want to toss a Stainless Drive Shell on there or make sure that the cog has a pretty wide base.

~JRA

One Gear
    If it helps, I bought a SS frame that could be changed over to gears if needed. I did the same with a King rear wheel. There's no way I'll ever put gears on it and I'm sorry that I didn't buy a SS specific rear wheel.

Good luck