viva la v-brakes!

New question here. SS specific chain rings?

I have a converted vertical drop-out set up on my SS which ALMOST works perfectly with a 34x19 set up (no tensioner). Trouble is there's a little slack in the chain and it falls off a couple times each ride.

I thought I heard something about someone making SS specific chainrings with longer teeth. Do they really exist? Might this help my problem? Right now I'm using a pretty beat up old Vuelta chain ring. It was bent pretty bad at one point (I think I straightenedit out all the way) and some of the teeth are growned down or bent, which is obviously part of my problem.

FYI I had a Singleator on this bike once and it was a lot more of a pain in the ass then the set up as it is now, so I have no intention of going that route again.

Thanks,
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Onza Buzz Saw in Stainless steel

I like the Onza Buzz Saw in stainless, no ramps, and pretty beefy. A bit hard to find.

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

The name's Norm...

Salsa rings

Salsa Chainrings work great. A lot of us use these. No ramps or pins on the standard. Go to AEBikes.com. Good prices too!!
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=98
    Last edited by maSSpayne; 04-18-2004 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added a link

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    I have a converted vertical drop-out set up on my SS which ALMOST works perfectly with a 34x19 set up (no tensioner). Trouble is there's a little slack in the chain and it falls off a couple times each ride.

I thought I heard something about someone making SS specific chainrings with longer teeth. Do they really exist? Might this help my problem? Right now I'm using a pretty beat up old Vuelta chain ring. It was bent pretty bad at one point (I think I straightenedit out all the way) and some of the teeth are growned down or bent, which is obviously part of my problem.

FYI I had a Singleator on this bike once and it was a lot more of a pain in the ass then the set up as it is now, so I have no intention of going that route again.

Thanks,
    a BMX style chain ring might work. Go to your LBS and see. As for the dropping the chain - Get ENO!
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    my salsa 34 tooth works fine but thats on a surly 1x1 with a converted xt casset rear hub.
    surly has some coming out in june(steel) i dont know if teeth are longer though

viva la v-brakes!

Spot?

The rings I was thinking about was Spot brand SS rings. Anyone know if these are any different from the Salsa offering, or anything else for that matter?

Thanks,
    FishMan

mtbr member

Good job! Envy

I'll once again harp on Envy rings from vancouver. Very well made, very beefy, and quite affordable. Highly recommended. I run a 38 tooth on my Monocog. The machining is impeccable, and they're indestructibly beefy, yet light.