amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

SS specific categories, do you seek them out?

Now that many races have specific categories just for us SS'ers, do you only race those races? Or do you still race in normal geared categories?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Now that many races have specific categories just for us SS'ers, do you only race those races? Or do you still race in normal geared categories?
    Both, if the race has a Specific SS class I'll enter that, otherwise I'll race where ever I fit in. I prefer to pick my races based on the venue of the race rather than the classes that are offered. I've only got one ride for the dirt and it's SS so it's gotta work.

mtbr member
    I'm the only one who races SS where I live. So no special caregorie for me.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    2009 I raced age group on the SS. For 2010 & 2011 I raced the SS class with a few age group races as prep. This past year I raced about 50/50 SS/AG. I've come to the conclusion age group is more fun and challenging. Sure, there are superfast guys racing the SS class, but there are more (fast guys) in the age group, and the age group is larger so you are racing more and not stuck in no-man's land trying to stay motivated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've just started racing mtb. I did my first few in the age group and the latest few in the SS class. For me it really depends on the course length/profile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    2009 I raced age group on the SS. For 2010 & 2011 I raced the SS class with a few age group races as prep. This past year I raced about 50/50 SS/AG. I've come to the conclusion age group is more fun and challenging. Sure, there are superfast guys racing the SS class, but there are more (fast guys) in the age group, and the age group is larger so you are racing more and not stuck in no-man's land trying to stay motivated.
    That is one thing about WORS vs Other race Series - WORS Started SS Open with the 19-39 Comp age class racers, so there was never really an issue with being in "No Man's Land" it also made it more difficult to know where the other SS racer were during the race as some could get a great start and sneak away - outta sight outta mind... The way I look at it is that you are racing against everyone on the course all the time period - even if they do not get lumped into your results when it's over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have done a few races with a special start for the single speed guys.

I prefer races with a SS category but where everyone starts together. I especially enjoy passing the geared rider but I only really "compete" with the single speed guys. I am slow but I like to see how I stack up to the other single speeders.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    This is my first year racing as a cat 3 with gears. The guys in my class suck at attacking all the short technical climbs we have here. Racing them on the SS would be a nightmare.

The SS class here is a cat 2 and it's pretty competitive with 10-15 guys lined up at every race. Tbh, my SS conditioning is not quite up to par to even hang with these guys yet. My plan is to train on the SS all offseason with intentions of racing in the SS class next year.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been thinking about going back down to sport category for next year from single speed. More people to compete with plus they usually start single speed in the back of the sport group in our local races which sucks. Nothing like trying to pass the entire sport field to kill a fun race.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I used to race my SS in geared categories when it was the only bike I owned. It got me out of threes, out of twos, and into 1s. Then I started leveling the playing field and racing with gears.

I still do occasional SS races though. I raced the GA SS state championship, I raced SS at nationals and I am going to Louisville to race the USGP in the SS cat this weekend.

I like to be able to race against pros without a pro license myself.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have been racing the age catagory as i thought it would be a bit more fun and i would have a better chance at doing better. But now I am in need of a challenge and need to either go up a class and get a license or do the ss class.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I occasionally race to the beer store on my SS.