mtbr member
    Jan 2008

SS rigid steel fork to carbon fork?

Thinking about converting to a rigid carbon fork. What can i expect in the performance area from the switch. Obviously i will shed some weight which will be a plus, but I've never ridden a rigid carbon fork. What is a good fork to get?

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    niner carbon. I'm in the process of acquiring one right now.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Niner carbon fork has a long axle to crown measurement (470mm). Thats about a 26" suspension fork with 100mm travel. More actually, because some frame specs are based on a sagged fork which is around 435-450mm. I do think it is based on a sagged 100mm travel 29er fork though. So, if thats what you're replacing, thats a good length.

What frame are you putting this on? What wheel size? V-brake or disc? If disc, what size rotor are you wanting to run? How much do you weigh? Some carbon forks have a weight limit which is usually about 185lbs. Basically, what length fork do you want and how much are you willing to pay?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ok, I'm 175lbs. It will be replacing the stock steel fork on my Haro Beasley 650b. disk-185mm.

from what points do you measure a fork from? Or does anyone know what length my stock fork is?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's the axle to crown measurement.

If you stick a skewer through the dropout, it's easier to measure.

mtbr member
    I've seen some referance of the Beasley also using a White Bros Fluid 650b 100mm fork. I think that one is 485mm a/c. It would be best to measure yours rigid fork to better match the length and not change head angle. Measure from the dropouts (where your tire bolts) up to your headtube, if its still on the bike. If its not on the bike, measure to the crown race.
    Last edited by jetboy23; 11-29-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: phsycle beat me to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Does anyone even use 26ers any more
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    I do. 3 hardtails. 2 are geared with front squish. 1 is SS and converted to a 9ber with a rigid fork. Still a 26" frame though .

mtbr member
    Rigid=Rigid, so don't expect some miracle of plushness from a different material that doesn't move. That being said, I like my niner carbon for sure, its light, and stiff, and rides almost imperceptibly better than my previous rigid (Misfit aluminum fork), and the steel forks I've ridden (Surly KM, Redline).

Rhino
    Ritchey Carbon Pro and Carver

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've had one steel, and a couple of Niner carbons. Niner is a medium as far as stiffness as carbon forks go, from what I've read. I noted a different resonance felt through the bars on fast sections compared to a steel fork. The Niner does track well, though I have yet to try the through axle version.

Trail Junkie
    Specialized just came out with a Rigid carbon fork 480mm suspension corrected for 100mm. Its the same one that is out on the new Carve SS and SJ HT Rigid.

Whiskey Parts Co. No.7 sells a carbon fork, its the fork that Lynskey is selling as their high end option for rigid on their bikes. It sells for slightly cheaper than the Niner, but a few grams heavier. They are 480mm as well, which makes me wonder if they make the forks for Specialized.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES