Thread: SS ride pix

beer *****es n' bikes

SS ride pix

First time out with some 26" bars vs. the old 22" bars, what a difference. The hills are much more managable with the extra leverage.

Trail was Yankee Springs in SW Michigan, weather was 33-ish and overcast, trail was dry and frozen, snowing lightly through the ride.

Anyways before anyone asks the bike is a 199x Peugeot ISS500 (4130 internally brazed) with horizontal dropouts, 1993-ish Kona P2 fork, Mavic 139 in front, 225 in back, running 32x18.

Starting out in one of the pine sections, a HUGE old pine tree.

A new log pile... small, but fun none the less, and adventurous with the low BB.

Towards the top of a sweet rooted climb... definately hard to keep any momentum through this one.

Enourmous old tree that came down in recent weeks... some guy apparently hit it and broke some ribs, which leads me to wonder how you miss a tree that's about 5ft. across?

Cool short technical downhill... lotsa fun, wish it were longer. Miss the bridge and its all over.

Cool techie climb I NEVER make... stupid bars always get hung up to the right, or I get stopped dead by the roots to the left.

Coming off a heart-attack worthy climb.

Thats a drop of about 250-350ft behind the bike.

The end! Just in time as the snow hit hard.

Jon
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yankee Is My Favorite :)

Quote Originally Posted by seely
    First time out with some 26" bars vs. the old 22" bars, what a difference. The hills are much more managable with the extra leverage.

Trail was Yankee Springs in SW Michigan, weather was 33-ish and overcast, trail was dry and frozen, snowing lightly through the ride.

Anyways before anyone asks the bike is a 199x Peugeot ISS500 (4130 internally brazed) with horizontal dropouts, 1993-ish Kona P2 fork, Mavic 139 in front, 225 in back, running 32x18.

Starting out in one of the pine sections, a HUGE old pine tree.

A new log pile... small, but fun none the less, and adventurous with the low BB.

Towards the top of a sweet rooted climb... definately hard to keep any momentum through this one.

Enourmous old tree that came down in recent weeks... some guy apparently hit it and broke some ribs, which leads me to wonder how you miss a tree that's about 5ft. across?

Cool short technical downhill... lotsa fun, wish it were longer. Miss the bridge and its all over.

Cool techie climb I NEVER make... stupid bars always get hung up to the right, or I get stopped dead by the roots to the left.

Coming off a heart-attack worthy climb.

Thats a drop of about 250-350ft behind the bike.

The end! Just in time as the snow hit hard.

Jon
    My wife & I ride Yankee a few times per year as I have a brother in Grand Rapids. I am a recent convert to SS and have never riden Yankee on my new Bianchi but I can't wait!

How is the sandy soil in the frozen winter? We have no sand here is Illinois and I've not yet been up there in the cold weather.

I believe Yankee would be a great SS trail with it's fast, rolling terrain but I guess I'll have to wait & see for myself! Great pics, BTW.

Russ

try driving your car less
    Nice. Actually looks sorta like Cape Cod. I think both places are glacial moraine.
    The big pine in the first pic is a white pine, I believe. We have those, too. Less and less of them around, but very cool trees how they get so huge.
    Your bike is sweet in its lack of "me too!" attitude. It screams ' shut up and ride!'
    Only boring people get bored.

brother on a mission
    Seely,

That is a nice looking ride (bike and trail). I remember when you posted your bike build over on bikeforums. Did you ever have any chain loss problems with your set up? I am sorting through some issues with my old frame conversion. I am curious what you may have done to solve the problem (if you had one).

As an aside I was chuckling recently at the concern people had about your avitar over on bikeforums, although I thought it was an interesting way to hijack your thread though (oops it happened again).

later,
    C

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice riding in SW MI

Yes, there's nice SS riding around there, Yankee, Custer. I like Lawless too.
    Does the cold keep the sand packed down?

Down South Yooper

Hey, can you direct me to

These trails? I'm recently moved to Lansing, and would love to find a couple new trails. Poto, Brighton, Island Lakes, (all the other way), Ionia are a few down there that i'm familiar with. Would like to know more though...

Plum

beer *****es n' bikes
    Chain loss is usually one of two things... most likely a bad chainline (hard to detect in some cases) or a warped chainring. I never really had problems on the Peugeot but I had a really bad time with a Singulator on an old conversion I did. I won't use a Singulator anymore!

Nice to see some cross posting on MTBR and Bikeforums

And leave my avatar outta this

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    Seely,

That is a nice looking ride (bike and trail). I remember when you posted your bike build over on bikeforums. Did you ever have any chain loss problems with your set up? I am sorting through some issues with my old frame conversion. I am curious what you may have done to solve the problem (if you had one).

As an aside I was chuckling recently at the concern people had about your avitar over on bikeforums, although I thought it was an interesting way to hijack your thread though (oops it happened again).

later,
    C

beer *****es n' bikes
    Check out the trails section @ http://www.mmba.org, they have good maps there. Yankee is a 45 min trip south of GR, Fort Custer is about an hour and a half south as I recall. Both are a lotta fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    These trails? I'm recently moved to Lansing, and would love to find a couple new trails. Poto, Brighton, Island Lakes, (all the other way), Ionia are a few down there that i'm familiar with. Would like to know more though...

Plum

beer *****es n' bikes
    The sand gets really hard packed for the most part in the winter... sometimes you get frozen ruts though which can be a bit sketchy and make the front knife around a bit. Yankee is definately a good SS trail, its fast, and the hills mostly allow you to get enough momentum going in to carry to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    My wife & I ride Yankee a few times per year as I have a brother in Grand Rapids. I am a recent convert to SS and have never riden Yankee on my new Bianchi but I can't wait!

How is the sandy soil in the frozen winter? We have no sand here is Illinois and I've not yet been up there in the cold weather.

I believe Yankee would be a great SS trail with it's fast, rolling terrain but I guess I'll have to wait & see for myself! Great pics, BTW.

Russ

brother on a mission
    Chain loss is usually one of two things... most likely a bad chainline (hard to detect in some cases) or a warped chainring. I never really had problems on the Peugeot but I had a really bad time with a Singulator on an old conversion I did. I won't use a Singulator anymore!

Nice to see some cross posting on MTBR and Bikeforums

And leave my avatar outta this
    Thanks Seely,

It is definitely not an obvious problem with this build. I have tweaked the chainline a bit, and I think I have it nearly perfect. My latest addition are two 25 tooth cogs flanking the 20 tooth cog that I use in the back. I figure they will act like the discos chain stops you can get on-line. I have yet to see how this set up works. It is a possibility that the cahinring is warped. This is a parts pile build, and the crank/chainring were pulled off a trashed bike. One of my friends that is a bike mechanic as a part time job suggested that I may be flexing the frame enough to get the chain to jump. It is a low end scott frame from the early 90s.

Happy trail riding.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Yikes, that would be a lot of flex! Does it throw the chain if the bike isn't under load, IE in the stand? Are you using a singulator?

Thanks Seely,

It is definitely not an obvious problem with this build. I have tweaked the chainline a bit, and I think I have it nearly perfect. My latest addition are two 25 tooth cogs flanking the 20 tooth cog that I use in the back. I figure they will act like the discos chain stops you can get on-line. I have yet to see how this set up works. It is a possibility that the cahinring is warped. This is a parts pile build, and the crank/chainring were pulled off a trashed bike. One of my friends that is a bike mechanic as a part time job suggested that I may be flexing the frame enough to get the chain to jump. It is a low end scott frame from the early 90s.

Happy trail riding.

brother on a mission
    Yikes, that would be a lot of flex! Does it throw the chain if the bike isn't under load, IE in the stand? Are you using a singulator?
    It does not toss the chain in the stand. Really the only time I have problems, is if I am trying to power up something that also has a bit of an impact to it like sharp rises, frozen mud holes, etc.

I am not using a singulator, the bike has horizontal forward facing drops.
    Here is my "I just built it" thread
    another first ride post
    and here is a picture of the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

beer *****es n' bikes
    Ok I REALLY doubt that frame flexes as much or especially more than my spindly Peugeot frame. To get the chain to throw you would have to have a lot of lateral flex, not just vertical flex which is more what you will get on a flexy frame (usually in the bottom bracket area). Is the chain coming off the front or back?

Is your rear wheel straight? Note that having even space on both chainstays is not necessarily straight... rather, one side of the tire may need to be closer than the other for whatever reason. There is a slight difference on clearance on my stays. I just can't envision vertical flex causing a chain to drop. Maybe get some chainslap, or something like that but for the chain to come off the gear you usually need to have the chainline be off or have a LOT of slack!

It does not toss the chain in the stand. Really the only time I have problems, is if I am trying to power up something that also has a bit of an impact to it like sharp rises, frozen mud holes, etc.

I am not using a singulator, the bike has horizontal forward facing drops.
    Here is my "I just built it" thread
    another first ride post
    and here is a picture of the bike

Bikes not Bombs.....

Thanks for the ride report......

Looks very cool. I have heard of reports of a white powdery substance falling from the sky, but we only get the wet stuff from the sky out here in cali....

Thanks for sharing

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

brother on a mission
    Is the chain coming off the front or back?

Is your rear wheel straight?
    The chain comes off the back.

I think you may be right on with the second question. The frame has 130mm spacing and not much clearance in the chainstays for a tire. The only way to fit the rear wheel in the frame and not have the tire rub is to center the tire.

I will have to do some reworking with the gearing in order to move the wheel further back and gain some clearance. I may eventually just get a purpose built SS. The purpose of this whole build was to see if I like SS riding, and I most definitely do. Thanks again for your help seely.

mtbr member
    Maybe a little late...I'm also a gearded bike convert and found that sometimes tossing your chain has to do with using ramped chainrings or cogs. Buy a SS specific chainring and cog, these are pretty cheap. I paid $25 for a 32 tooth Salsa chainring and $21 for a cog\spacer kit that came with an 18 and 16 tooth cog. Oh yea, you will also have to use an 8 speed chain, the 9 speed chain is to narrow....$12 for a SRAM 8spd chain.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum

Plum

If you're new to lansing, you must check out Rose Lake. It's close, open 24/7 and you can ride there from your house if you get the itch. But yeah, Yankee is the best trail in southern Mi.
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvcx
    Maybe a little late...I'm also a gearded bike convert and found that sometimes tossing your chain has to do with using ramped chainrings or cogs. Buy a SS specific chainring and cog, these are pretty cheap. I paid $25 for a 32 tooth Salsa chainring and $21 for a cog\spacer kit that came with an 18 and 16 tooth cog. Oh yea, you will also have to use an 8 speed chain, the 9 speed chain is to narrow....$12 for a SRAM 8spd chain.

Cheers
    Thanks for the advice.

I am using a ramped cog and chainring, and I looked into switching over to an unramped cog, but none of the bike shops around me carry them (or have even heard of them). I would also kind of like to keep the bike a parts bin build. I am using the original stx 34 tooth chainring, an old 7 speed chain, and the ramped 20 tooth cog that has seen better days. However I have solved my derailling problem.

I sandwiched the 20 tooth cog between two 24 tooth cogs. The set up is like this from hub to locknut: 24 tooth, spacer, 20 tooth, spacer 24 tooth.

I took it on a test ride after christmas, and It worked great. There were a couple of times during the ride I could hear the chain trying to jump off the cog in the back (like a partial shift of a geared bike), but it never came off.

I did notice that I managed to either pull or slam the rear wheel out of alignment in the frame during the ride, because part way through the ride the tire started rubbing one of my chainstays. Next month I am probably going to pick up a solo-one, so I just need the bike to get me through another month.

Thanks again for the pointers.

GF

Funky Town's Finest Mojo
    Mar 2004
    Nice pics and ride Jon! I take it your not still in Waco? I had wondered what happened to you. Hadn't seen you on mojo in a long time.

Ron