Meat Clever

SS Rear Wheel Question

Aside from spacers and chain line issues are there any other potential drawbacks to using non SS-specific rear hub/wheel for SS use? Thanks
    -DD
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    the free hub might crap out on you due to you putting more stress on it. ive had two crap out on me already.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    the free hub might crap out on you due to you putting more stress on it. ive had two crap out on me already.
    Not being a smarta$$, but what exactly causes more stress?

Brian

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    alright punk listen up

since the freehub was made for cogsets (8speed maybe) the single cog puts stress on one part of the hub wearing down te body.

also since it was purpose built for multi gearing , the freehub has more force on it when you attach one cog on it( its confusing)

anyways its could be a big problem if you have a low quality freehub( like my shimano alivio)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Can you replace just the hub body that a cog would chew into, or do you need to get the whole damn thing?

Retro Grouch
    alright punk listen up

since the freehub was made for cogsets (8speed maybe) the single cog puts stress on one part of the hub wearing down the body.

also since it was purpose built for multi gearing , the freehub has more force on it when you attach one cog on it( its confusing)

anyways its could be a big problem if you have a low quality freehub( like my shimano alivio)
    I have never had such a problem. I have a Deore rear hub running a Shimano BMX cog, and it's still running strong after 5 years. Further, I know of no ancidotal evidence (expect nuck chorris) that a steel cog will damage a steel freehub body; this is an issue for aluminum freehub bodies, but not steel.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Dinner for wolves
    With a SS hub you can build a dishless (or less dish) wheel. That's it. 3 years of SS riding on used shimano hubs + Surly cogs = 0 issues...except for the occasional wavy wheel.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What he said. Dishless is definitely stronger. How much dif it makes 'real world' is questionable. Just ride til you break it, build something better. Surly flip flop hub, White Industries freewheel, no dish, 32 spokes 3x=strong wheel.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Would you call this hub damage?

I know you cant see it verywell but there are some grooves on the ridges

All by using a standard BMX cog

This changes things significantly for me( the cog moves around when in the grooved out area.
    Again this is an alivio hub but there are other people that have the same hub.

Ive also lost the pawls engagment noise ( too much crap got inside the freehub body and make the engagement ify)

Meat Clever
    Thanks for replies. It is a cheap wheelset, so I may just get it and replace hub in future, if necessary.

Meat Clever
    Thanks for replies. It is a cheap wheelset, so I may just get it and replace hub in future, if necessary.

This changes things significantly for me( the cog moves around when in the grooved out area.
    Again this is an alivio hub but there are other people that have the same hub.

Ive also lost the pawls engagment noise ( too much crap got inside the freehub body and make the engagement ify)
    couldn't you just move the chainring on the front to the inside or outside where it connects to the crank, and move the cog accordingly with spacers....and get many more miles out of the hub?

Over the Hill
    Would you call this hub damage? [
    Buy a decent wide base cog and be done. I have that kind of wear on hubs running a cassette. I would call it wear not damage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Buy an actual SS cog and it won't be an issue at all.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I would call it wear not damage.
    +1 This is damage..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I have moved the chain ring (recently ) after I saw this.